• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

oeufs en meurette

makanmakan

I just returned from a trip to Seattle over the weekend and went back to my favourite brunch place, Cafe Campagne.

Again, I couldn't be swayed from my usual dish there...wobbly poached eggs over a crouton, mushrooms, bacon and pearl onions all, bathed in a red wine, foie gras sauce. As if that wasn't heart stopping enough, a basket of perfect frites topped the dish.

I don't think I've seen this anywhere here, but am I possibly wrong? Is there anyone serving Oeufs en Meurette in this fair city of ours?

ps. the butter that came with my partner's baguette was positively knee buckling. We bought a stack at Trader Joe's on the way home...anyone seen it here? It's called Plugra.

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

If any one knows, I'm eager to know too! Les Oeufs en Meurette at Cafe Campagne is my must-have brunch when in Seattle. Oddly - I didn't have it last time I was there, and had Oeufs en Cocotte instead - eggs baked in delicate leek cream with some Comte cheese, spinach and tomato tucked in.

While at Le Regalade for lunch the other day, a lady at a neighbouring table lamented about the lack of good oeufs en meurette in Vancouver. Brigitte (one of the owners), advised her that Chez Jules, in Gastown, has wonderful oeufs en meurette. So, hie thee to Chez Jules!!

And back to La Regalade, my boyfriend and I ordered the mushroom omelette & crab quiche as appetizers, and they were both REALLY good. Really big portions, as usual - no need to order any mains. The mushroom omelette had thickly sliced mushrooms and there was green onion mixed into the egg. The crab quiche had big chunks of crab and a nice crumbly crust. :wub: