• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Delis

We have a fantastic new Deli in East Dulwich on Lordship Lane, it sells St Johns bread and Artisanal chocolate, their own olive oil which is dispensed from a huge vat, an interesting selection of Italian wines and some of Francis Ford Coppola's wines, great olives etc....anybody like to recommend any new places to try.

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Martin Wishart is involved in a new deli in Leith, near his restaurant. It's going to be called Relish and he'll be making nice things for it such as takeway stuff and cured meats. A search on the Scotsman will reveal a little more (but no address).

I have always pondered about opening my own deli/food emporium but I would probably eat all the profits.

I have the very sad deli counters at Waitrose and Sainsbury's on Finchley Road, where I'll be darned if the prosciutto or serrano are the real mccoy, and the people don't really know their stuff. I'm sure they'll be expanding to other locations as well. Sigh.

what is Artisinal chocolate ?

I could have got the name wrong but it's that really nice chocolate they sell in Borough Market with unusual additions like cardamon and chilli, comes in a white pack with blue illustrations and costs the quite large sum of £2.95 a bar.

Gav

Truc Vert on North Audley Street just off Oxford Street is great. They import goodies from France every week but it's the Villandry style tables at the back which are the real treat. It's a great place to stop off in-between fighting your way down Oxford St. The menu is quite short with things 'from the kitchen' or 'from the shop'. From the shop you can buy cheese or charcuterie by the pound, selection of pates or garlic and herb chicken from the rotisserie. From the kitchen are salads, brushetta, grilled fish, speciality sausages etc. and the bread is great, served on a little wooden chopping board. (I'm a sucker for a novelty!) You can select wine at shop prices and pay a £3.50 corkage so you can get a decent bottle to accompany your lunch. Service can be a little slow but the fact that you can get a delicious lunch just off the hell hole which is Oxford St far than makes up for it….

Gavin - what is the name of your place? Where on Lordship Lane is it?

It's called the East Dulwich Deli and is at the bottom of Lordship Lane near the roundabout by Goose Green. The owners live in East Dulwich and said that they were sick of travelling in to town to get nice food - given the sort of people who live in East Dulwich and Dulwich village it appears to be a surefire success...

Gav