• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pan Reduction Sauces

johnjohn

I like to sear shrimp or scallops and make a reduction sauce with the fond left on the bottom of the pan. I have two that I make fairly often, but would like to add a few more to my list of favorite easy weeknight meals. One is a basic white wine, butter, garlic and caper the other is an asian inspired one with soy, mirin, honey, sesame oil, and green onion. Any other favorites out there?

I like to do seared scallops and a piri piri sauce! The sweet scallops and the heat from the pepper sauce seem to go well together. Great appetizer! Wash 'em down with something like New Belgium's Blue Paddle Pils!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I make a "firecracker" shrimp that my daughter loves. After searing the shrimp in a little butter/oil mixture I added Tabasco and finish with a little cream and butter.

I made a similar dish with shrimp but I had some homemade salsa that I fried and also finished with a little cream. This came out better than anticipated

Make your regular wine reduction sauce substituting dry vermouth for your usual variety. Or, deglaze with apple cider vinegar and swirl in lots of butter for a buerre blanc style sauce.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I've done a lemon/caper sauce with garlic, shallot, pinch paprika, micro pinch cayenne, wine, fish or lobster stock. I like to add slivers of mushroom too. You can also sub orange for the lemon juice and chipotle for the cayenne for an additional twist.

HERE is a recipe for scallops with coriander butter that sounds good to me. This is going to be tried the next time I get scallops.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I put a little Old Bay in the cooking liquid -- only about 1/2 a teaspoon to avoid overpowering the delicate flavor of shrimp. When the sauce is reduced, the Old Bay greatly improves the flavor.