• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Dreams

Last night I dreamed I stood outside the glassed window of a Mediterranean/Victorian [very green] parlor, where my sister and a male friend were seated in the corner anticipating a delivery. As I peered through the window a male belly dancer entered through the parlor door, gyrating and chanting in Arabic, balancing a multi-layered "Hershey Bar Cake" on his outstretched palms. He wore a gold lame turban and looked like Captain Kangaroo.

I watched him place the cake before me sister, and I watched her male friend begin eating it, with a fork, tearing away huge chunks of moist layers and impossibly creamy frosting, not even bothering to ask for a dessert plate. I rushed into the room and grabbed the fork from him and began scooping mouthfuls of moist crumbs into my mouth. I used my fingers to press huge gobs onto my fork, alternately shoveling the cake into my mouth and licking my sticky fingers. The frosting was barely sweet, like whipped heavy cream and a dollop of butter, the finest bittersweet chocolate and a dash of vanilla. It was as light as a cloud. The cake was dark and moist and semi-sweet. As I ate I began to feel very full. After several minutes of madly devouring the cake we all threw down our forks and began moaning in pleasure. I tasted the cake, I felt the sticky icing on my fingers, and I had the pleasant sensation of a full belly. It was eerie. I woke up to a howling stomach.

Does anyone know how to make this cake? Does anyone else have realistic dreams about food?

Not about food per se, but i have the odd nightmare that i've been hired to cook at a large restaurant, i arrive to do service.there is no prep, idiot staff and checks coming thick and fast.I wake up sweating.its a very real dream. :shock:

BD, I have that dream all the time--in fact I dreamt a version of it last night, which pleasantly segued into my cake dream. Every former waiter I know has that nightmare--it's the ultimately scary realistic dream. In mine I go to work to find that I'm the only waiter coming in that night, and the restaurant has expanded from twenty 4-tops to 80 4-tops.

My version of that dream is that I am working as an expeditor of an extremely high volume retaurant and there is som much food in the window to be picked up and no waiters to be seen.

Haven't had the dream since I left the restaurant biz but got it a lot when I was working the 80 hour weeks in crazy high volume restaurants.

Strangely enough I had my first experience of synaesthesia last night - I was in a semi somnolent state and could distinctly smell baked goods of some variety. I was aware of having the experience although aware of being in that intermediate state between sleep and awakedness...I think I'm spending too much time on this board :biggrin:

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I dream about food all the time. A while back, when I was trying to lose weight, I took phen/fen for about a month. For the first time in my life, I didn't dream about food. That tells me there's something chemical involved.

But as for the dreams: Even if I'm having a bad dream and a monster is chasing me, we'll wind up at an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet.

:wacko:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

stella, it's been about 25 years since I've I waitressed, but I still have nightmares about it (had one even a couple of weeks ago). I walk into the resaurant and every table is covered with dirty dishes. I'm the only one there, and I'm trying to clear off and reset tables when customers walk in and sit at the dirty tables. I'm overwhelmed trying to take orders, clear tables, bring out food, remember coffee refills, play hostess at the same time, collect money, and tips are not good. Yikes!

Another one I have is "bar rush" nightmare. It's 1:59am and the restaurant is basically empty and then a minute later (when our bars close), people start pouring in and all tables are intantly full and I'm trying to wait on everyone at once, and of course I'm the only one there to wait on everyone. :blink:

I like your cake dream much better! Just before I wake up I sometimes know I am dreaming about wonderful food and postpone waking up so I can enjoy it a little bit longer. :rolleyes:

I dream about food very often, which is usually quite nice :biggrin: , except when I have this nightmare where I'm in the cafeteria in school or university, and everything that can go wrong, does go wrong - I drop everything I try to touch, can't find my purse, there's nothing to eat that I'd like (now that's bad!:biggrin: ), I can't find my friends who should be sitting there somewhere, and as I look for them, I realise that the dining hall is so huge I can't even see the other end... etc. I keep having this kind of dream repeatedly - never thought that having lunch at school could have caused such traumas! :raz:

Usually I don't dream about food, but last night I had a nightmare in which some raspberries were trying to kill me. They would form up into a little man and come after me, and I kept throwing them out the window only to have them reform again.

Maybe I've mentioned this before, but the best dream I ever had was marginally food-related. The dream was in Broadway musical form--I and the other people in the dream kept breaking into song--and the musical was set in a McDonald's in Nazi Germany. The title of the musical was: "I'm Eating My McNuggets In the Land of McBigots." I woke up laughing harder than pretty much ever before or since.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Maybe I've mentioned this before, but the best dream I ever had was marginally food-related.  The dream was in Broadway musical form--I and the other people in the dream kept breaking into song--and the musical was set in a McDonald's in Nazi Germany.  The title of the musical was:  "I'm Eating My McNuggets In the Land of McBigots."  I woke up laughing harder than pretty much ever before or since.

:biggrin: If Mel ever does a sequel to 'The Producers'...

twenty 4-tops to 80 4-tops.

Ok, I know this is restaurant lingo, but what is a 4-top?

SA

A table that seats four people...as opposed to an eight top, or a ten top.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Last night I dreamed that Matthew and I were having dinner at the Gramercy Tavern. We sat down and the first course was served. (I don't know what it was; may have included tomatoes.) I realized that I was sitting in a chair so low that my chin was level with the tabletop. Matthew had a normal chair. I asked the waiter to find me another chair. They dumped some fruit or something out of a box and placed the box on my chair for me to sit on. It didn't help. Everyone, including Matthew, was really annoyed with me for complaining about my chair. The problem was not solved by the time I woke up, and I never got to eat any of the meal.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 8 months later...

I often dream about food both good and bad, but recently I have been dreaming more about egullet!

I guess I need to check back into the addictions thread! :blink:

My biggest food nightmare was one where i was trapped in a room with hundreds of life size jars of mayo and mustard, it was like a maze and i had to find my way out, but I couldn't.

I had this dream when I was 12 and I still can't forget it! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

During a recent hormonal surge, I had a dream about bags of potato chips, stashed all over the house in the most unlikely places: the recycle bin, under my computer desk, behind the mops in the broom closet, in Socrates' tool box -- and yes, up in a light fixture a la Ray Milland's bottle of booze in "Lost Weekend"! What was especially disconcerting was that I had no memory of hiding the darn things in the first place, and could only surmise I'd done so in a raging hormone-induced blackout . . . :wacko::wacko:

I dream about food alarmingly often, although perhaps not with as much clarity as described in the initial post. Just the other day, I was dreaming of making spanakopita. As it was actually the night before a giant spanakopita-making session, I attribute it to some sort of stress dream regarding phyllo.

My husband, on a fairly regular basis, will dream of prepping food, and will base the day's dinner choices or related fare upon said dreams.

I just had a dream the other night where I was in the company of several women that I haven't seen since high school, a goodly twenty odd years ago. For some reason they were all working as waitresses in this restaurant where I saw them. They all looked pretty much the same except for one of them who was deathly pale and heavily made-up, almost like a giesha. Very bizarre. One of them had a customer with a wine question and she didn't know anything about wine, so I walked over and helped the customer choose a glass of wine to go with his dinner. But then they all got pissed off at me for helping because I didn't work there. Then I woke up!

Any clues??? I can't even begin to fathom what this might be about.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had a dream theat there was a storage loft in my restaurant filled with fruit really gorgeous exotic huge fruits but as I went deeper into this seemlingly never ending storage space the fruit got more & more rotten and there were hundreds of flys..needless to say cleaned out the walk-in the next day.

I may dream about foods more than I am aware the other morning woke up with lamb on my mind huge hunks of bar-b-que lamb and another day it was pork chops.though I do think it may be because my eating habits are so irregular and spend whole days around nothing but food my subconscious is like feed me protein!!!!!!! now or eat an orange you are going to get scurvy stuff like that.

hmm have been having mucho anxiety dreams about huges parties coming in looking around & walking out the reservation book is full and slowly bit by bit the evening deteriorates to only two top of old people who order soup, share chicken and drink endless cups of decaf that are never hot enough ( that is a FOH nightmare)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I have a recurring dream of peppers when I'm deprived of spicy foods for more than a few weeks... usually involves a rotating basket of peppers over a gas flame, turning and turning.. I usually wake up from that dream only to call in late for work, buying time to make up a batch of chipolte ranchero sauce to coat my fried eggs, diced hashbrowns on the side, and a nicely warmed corn tortilla to mop up the mess.

I've only been an eGullietier for a week, but already I'm having recurring dreams about MaggieTheCat and her Emma Peel alter ego... is that normal?

OK... I am NOT making this up. Several years ago, I had a recurring dream about REALLY BIG rabbits. They would hop up on my balconey with a THUMP and then go about all sorts of antics. After about a month, the dreams stopped. A couple of months later the dreams resumed. My basset hound stood on my chest and said... "They're baaaack!" The rabbits are in the living room doing the can-can. In the next scene, I have these huge pieces of rabbit (the rabbits were about 4 feet high at the shoulder) and I am trying to figure out if I have a pan big enough to do the Patricia Wells recipe that includes preserved lemons and garlic. I ran around to several stores buying lemons and garlic. The part about butchering a rabbit did not appear. I was then serving rabbit to the whole condo complex, bread line style. It tasted good, too.

Analyse That!

OH... The only black and white dream that I can remember, the world was made of fruitcake.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 years later...

What are some of your more interesting food dreams? Relate them here!

Last night, I dreamt I was at a restaurant in Japan. It was set up like a sushi bar, with a U-shaped counter, but served only........ Japanese pickles!!!

Salty.... sweet.... "fresh" pickles or aged, the pickles were chopped into bits and offered as tidbits on small pottery dishes or wooden "geta" platters by an elderly woman in an indigo kimono who worked from the center of the U. The only beverage available was pure spring water, to cleanse one's palate between tastings.

All the patrons wore indigo-dyed kimonos or yukatas, as well, including me (the only Westerner). When a teenage boy dressed in a T-shirt approached the restaurant door, he was turned away.

Mmmmmm.... my mouth is watering and I can taste those pickles now!!!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs