• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants and Farms - Temecula, CA

JWest

One thing that has changed over the years is the density of the I-15 corridor. 20 years ago, Escondido / Rancho Bernardo / Poway / Mira Mesa / San Diego was non-contiguous. Now they all touch. It seems that this encourages people to travel between them more.

Escondido just isnt as far away as it used to be.

Temecula is trying to touch Rancho California as well as reaching south.

I agree that the eastern freeway cities are less 'glamorous' than those along I-5. Temecula isnt glamorous. Its cute.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

One thing that has changed over the years is the density of the I-15 corridor.

I'm curious Kouign -- can you tell me if they still have that center, single-lane traffic thing? I remember when it was initially built; running one direction in the morning and the other direction in the evening. There was a point when it was thought that there was no way it was going to last and they were going to have to open it to both directions. I haven't driven that area in almost 15 years and have always wondered...

One thing that has changed over the years is the density of the I-15 corridor.

I'm curious Kouign -- can you tell me if they still have that center, single-lane traffic thing? I remember when it was initially built; running one direction in the morning and the other direction in the evening. There was a point when it was thought that there was no way it was going to last and they were going to have to open it to both directions. I haven't driven that area in almost 15 years and have always wondered...

Carolyn:

Not only is it still there, but it's in the process of being extended past Lake Hodges (and growing to 4 lanes).

Regarding the Rancho Bernardo restaurant scene: I had dinner recently at Bernard O's and had a drink at the bar afterward with the chef (Patrick Ponsaty). We spoke at length about the restaurant scene in the immediate area. One thing he said he was continually frustrated with was the conservative nature (food-wise) of his customers. He continually tries to put new things on the menu and then ends up taking them off after a few weeks. I have heard similar comments from others in the area. Hopefully over time this may change with the new 4S Ranch area expanding so rapidly. But for the time being, I wouldn't consider Rancho Bernardo to be very supportive of anything remotely cutting-edge.