• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft or WD~50?

SarahB

I'm planning an actioned-packed short-weekend in New York in a couple of weeks. I can get reservations at either Craft or WD~50. I need to pick one and would welcome input from those who know.

(It's dinner for two and there will be no alcohol, so price becomes less of an issue. (Alternative recommendations most welcome.))

[Edited to remove a question mark.]

Edited by SarahB (log)

I have been to both several times and like them both. However, I think wd-50 is superior in terms of cutting-edge cuisine. I think the most important issue is to know how you define a great restaurant.

I've only been to WD, but I have to say it was an amazing experience. The wine pairing was kinda eh, but hey if there's no booze for you, thats fine. The food was truly innovate and eye opening, even the "bread" was fascinating to me.

Rico

I'll have to book an early seating, so there won't be the chance to linger over a long meal. Also, I'm taking my 18-year-old cousin, so it's going to be a pretty low-key evening, I think. My general sense is that WD~50 will be a more fun meal than Craft. Am I off-base there?

The cousin also needs to be a pretty curious and open-minded eater in order to enjoy WD-50. WD-50 is more exciting and interesting, but the food at Craft is easier to apppreciate for many people.

The cousin also needs to be a pretty curious and open-minded  eater in order to enjoy WD-50. WD-50 is more exciting and interesting, but the food at Craft is easier to apppreciate for many people.

She's a good eater. We're that kind of family, fortunately.

WD-50 it is, then. I'll do Craft on another visit.

Thanks for the feedback. If you ever need Toronto tips, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.