• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants under 30 Euros - Merged topics

Anu

Hi,

I'm going to be in Paris for two nights. The first I will be dining with my family and friends and am looking for something in the price range of Le Regelade or L'Epi Dupin - preferably something new that I haven't tried. The second night I will be with my family and wanted something more on the level of Lassarre. A friend recommended Hiramatsu. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

Anu

Not Hiramatsu, see P Wells recent review where she trashed it.

My last meal at La Regalade was 11/27/03 and I paid 99 Euros for 2; L’Epi Dupin I cannot put my hands on right now. But let’s say 100E/2 is your range. I’d go for:

Au Bon Accueil, 14 rue de Monttessuy, 7th, 01.47.05.46.11, 70E/2 on 1/2/04

Ze Kitchen Galerie, 4 rue des Grands Augustins, 6th, 01.44.32.00.32 – 1/5/04, 80E/2.

La Maison du Jardin, 27 Vaugirard, 6th, 01.45.48.22.31 - 2/19 30E/1

Le Beurre Noisette, 68 Vasco de Gama, 15th, 01.48.56.82.49 - 54.50/1 on 12/31/03

Le Pre Verre, 01.43.54.59.47 - 8 Thenard, 5th (Maubert/St. Michel), - 2/18 36E/1

L’Equitable – 1 rue Fosses Saint-Marcel, 01.43.31.69.20 5th, - 2/20 43E/1

Petit Pontoise, 5th, 9 rue de Pontoise, nr Reminet, 01.43.29.25.20 - 51 E on 2/22

La Dinee, 85 rue Leblanc 15th, 01.45.54.20.49 2/27 - 52.30E/1

Café Constant, 139 St Dominique, 7th, 01.47.53.73.34, - 31.70E/1

Les Fables de la Fontaine 131 St-Dominque, 7th, 01.44.18.37.55 45. - 50E/1 on 4/2.

L’Ourcine, 92 Broca, 13th, 01.47.07.13.65, 42.50E/ 1 on 4/20

Rouge Tomate, 34 Pl due Marché St Honoré, 1st 01.42.61.16.09. 4/28/04 Under 100E/2

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Last week, I had lunch at Ze Kitchen Galerie, not dinner, but thought it was exceptionally good value for money. The food was delicious, very inventive, and fresh, and the service was attentive. The lunch formula was 2 courses plus wine for about 26 euros. The first course was a fabulous dish of 3 or 4 large macaroni, probably more like rigatoni, stuffed with a mixture of avocado and crab, garnished with fresh asparagus and pomelo, and a citrusy vinaigrette, seasoned with galangal (thai ginger). My main course was sweetbreads served with joue de porc. They were out of the cote du rhone that we wanted for the glass of wine, so we ordered a bottle of Madiran for about 28 euros. I would definitely recommend it for one of your meals.

We also had dinner at Guy Savoy, which is in the same price range as Hiromatsu, and enjoyed it very much. Interestingly, there was a Japanese couple at the next table who split their entire dinner between the two of them. I had never seen that done in a fancy restaurant, but the staff at Guy Savoy treated them very well.

Our first night in Paris, which was a Sunday, we went to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon around 10:45 pm, and didn't have to wait to be seated, although the hostess was initially very reluctant and tried to send us away. I pointed out 2 empty seats, and she was forced to relent. Thereafter, the service was so-so, but the food was excellent.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for some advice on planning our last minute trip to Paris. We will be there from April 21 through April 29. We need some suggestions for good but relatively inexpensive hotels. So far, I've looked into Hotel Saint Jacques and Grand Hotel des Balcons. We'd like to stay in the 5th, 6th or possibly 7th arr. My husband is 6'6", so we need a decent sized room. Does anyone have experience with the above hotels or any other suggestions for places we could book on such short notice?

I'm also looking for restaurant recommendations. We would love a few casual bistros that are under 30 Euros per person (food only). As well as one nice place to celebrate our anniversary with great food that we won't be able to find here in NYC (50 Euros per person, no wine? - is that asking too much?)

Lastly, I am a wine lover and would love to visit some great wine bars to try out wines I can't find here in the States.

Any other suggestions for our trip would be greatly appreciated!

Heya Annapin,

Not sure on good hotels in the 6th. I was here with an art history class and we stayed at the Hotel Stella on rue, Monsieur le Prince. Great neighborhood, but the hotel can best be described as they advertise, "built in the 15th century". I am pretty sure a dragon lives under the stairs, as none of them are the same height or length.

As for restaurants, basically everything below is around 30€ for three courses. Wine is extra but pichet's (50ml) are around 12€ and good full bottles start at 16€.

Le Pre Verre is a super busy Bistro in the 5th a couple blocks away from the Cluny. The food is a good blend of French with some Asian ingredients mixed in. This place is always busy so call ahead. Le Pre Verre 8 Rue Theonard 75005 M: Maubert-Mutualité (01-43-54-59-47)

Au Fil des Saisons You can read my last post about this place, the food is incredible and the chef is super nice. A bit out of the way in northern Marais, but worth it. Au Fil des Saisons 6, Rue des Fontaines du Temple, 75003 (01 42 74 16 60)

Aux Lyonnais A bit more pricey then other bistros (45€) but worth it given that it's a Ducasse restaurant. At last check you guys are now Ducasseless in NYC. The restaurant is super old and the walk to the restrooms upstairs is fun because you can see the dining room, as well as the columns filled with wine corks. Aux Lyonnais 32 rue St-Marc, 2nd arr., 011-33/1-42-96-65-04

A la Biche aux Bois Nothing fancy, super crowded restaurant filled with locals. This place feels like what you would expect from a French bistro, replete with mirrors and fast-talking waiters. À la biche aux bois 12th arr. 45 Ave Ledru-Rollin 75012 M: Gare de Lyon (01 43 43 34 38)

Mon Vieil Ami Super cute bistro on Isle Saint Louis. Works well with a trip to the Notre Dame. This place is open for lunch and dinner, skip dessert though and grab ice-cream from Bertillion across the street. Mon Vieil Ami 1 arr. 69 Rue St Louis en l'Ile 75004 M:Cité (01 40 46 01 35)

For a special place.

Les Fables de la Fontaine Incredible fish restaurant in a tiny location next to a fountain on Saint Domique in the 7th. The owner Christian Constant has two other restaurants on this block, you will pass the other two on the same side of the street if you walk towards the Eiffel Tower. Les Fables de la Fontaine 131 rue Saint-Dominique 75007 (01 44 18 37 55)

For wine check out Verre Vole it's on Lancry in the 10th at the very end just before Canal Saint Martin. They only have a few tables, the cheese plates and charcuterie are best. If they are busy grab a drink on the other side of the canal at Johnny Depp's restaurant Hotel du Nord.

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

I've stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons on r. Casimir Delavigne numerous times. Great location with basic but clean rooms. They have a couple of large doubles but their standard double rooms are very small with two single beds (can be park together). I think these rooms are too small for your husband. The larger doubles are decent size but the beds are still standard size. The bathrooms are also on the small side.

Hotel Saint-Pierre is in a good neighboorhood and a great value.

For something a little but more charming, my parents stayed at the Relais Saint Sulpice, although the rooms were not huge by any means, but a beautiful building, and you can't get a much better location. As you probably know, it is a bit difficult to find a decent size hotel room in Paris.

Hotel Relais Saint Sulpice

www.relais-saint-sulpice.com

3, r Garancière, 75006 Paris, France

33 (0)1 46 33 99 00

Hôtel Saint-Pierre

4, rue de l'Ecole de Médecine 75006 Paris, France

33(0)1 46 34 78 80

As for restaurant picks, BradenP gave some great suggestions. Le Pré Verre is close to where you want to stay, and is a great value for lunch and dinner. Lacking some taste in decor and location, but making up for it in the cuisine, check out Au Fils des Saison if you don't mind a cab ride or metro trip to an off-the-beaten-path kind of place. Wonderful and delicate flavors, house-made bread and ice creams, great wine list, and a choice of about 7 different origin coffees.

If you are going to the Louvre, or to Galeries Lafayette/Etienne Marcel, I like Bistro Vivienne for lunch. Great roasted Chicken and a cute little place as well.

We are trying Spring in a couple of weeks, which I am very excited about. Although, it is not for everyone. He is an American Chef, who does a 4-course menu with no choices. So, not good for food allergy people, or picky eaters.

I have also been wanting to try Le Sensing, but have heard mixed reviews.

If you don't mind a little bit of reading, it is worth your time to read some of JT's posts on restaurant reviews...

Bistro Vivienne 4 rue Petits Champs 75002 Tel 01 49 27 00 50

Spring 28, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Tel 01 45 96 05 72

Le Sensing 19, rue Bréa 75006 Tel 01.43.27.08.80

Have a wonderful trip! And report back if you find any treasures java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:')

If you're interested in newer places, l'Express had a big list of 30 € and under places the first week of December of which I can heartily recommend Ripaille, Troquet, Bistral, Papilles, Astier, Cerisaie, Cafe Constant, Cave est Restaurant + Les Symples de l'Os a Moelle; all coordinates can be found in the Digest or our Index of Restos by Arrondissement.

Other pubs have had similar lists in days gone by: A Nous Paris (again I'll include only the ones I like) listed La Ferrandaise, Ripaille, le Bis de Severo, La Table de Claire and Les Symples de l’Os a Moelle, Figaroscope: Le Bis du Severo, Les Symples de l’Os a Moelle, La Ferrandaise, Carte Blanche, Les Fils de la Ferme, Beurre Noisette, Le Bistral + Fish La Boissonnerie and the now defunct Zurban: Les Enfants Rouges, Les Papilles, Le Pre Verre, Le Villaret, Louis Vins, Le Timbre, Le Bistrot Paul Bert, l’Avant Gout, La Cerisaie, Le Temps Au Temps, La Ferrandaise, La Cave de l’Os a Moelle, La Boulangerie, Le Baratin + La Cave est Restaurant.

I assume you've also checked out our compendium on cheap eats.

As for some of the places recommended by others above, Le Pre Verre remains fun, Spring is a delight but you'll find Le Sensing very much pricier than 30 and while I've eaten well there, many others have had bad experiences; one friend will never go back.

Also, as has been confirmed by Laidback, Les Fables de la Fontaine is now co-owned by two ex-Violin chefs Sébastien Gravé and David Bottreau, but I suspect as with the Savoy, Ducasse, etc empires, purchasing continues though the Constant apparatus, ensuring quality.

John Talbott

If you're interested in newer places, l'Express had a big list of 30 € and under places the first week of December of which I can heartily recommend Ripaille, Troquet, Bistral, Papilles, Astier, Cerisaie, Cafe Constant, Cave est Restaurant + Les Symples de l'Os a Moelle; all coordinates can be found in the Digest or our Index of Restos by Arrondissement.

Other pubs have had similar lists in days gone by: A Nous Paris (again I'll include only the ones I like) listed La Ferrandaise, Ripaille, le Bis de Severo, La Table de Claire and Les Symples de l’Os a Moelle, Figaroscope: Le Bis du Severo, Les Symples de l’Os a Moelle, La Ferrandaise, Carte Blanche, Les Fils de la Ferme, Beurre Noisette, Le Bistral + Fish La Boissonnerie and the now defunct Zurban: Les Enfants Rouges, Les Papilles, Le Pre Verre, Le Villaret, Louis Vins, Le Timbre, Le Bistrot Paul Bert, l’Avant Gout, La Cerisaie, Le Temps Au Temps, La Ferrandaise, La Cave de l’Os a Moelle, La Boulangerie, Le Baratin + La Cave est Restaurant.

I assume you've also checked out our compendium on cheap eats.

As for some of the places recommended by others above, Le Pre Verre remains fun, Spring is a delight but you'll find Le Sensing very much pricier than 30 and while I've eaten well there, many others have had bad experiences; one friend will never go back.

Also, as has been confirmed by Laidback, Les Fables de la Fontaine is now co-owned by two ex-Violin chefs Sébastien Gravé and David Bottreau, but I suspect as with the Savoy, Ducasse, etc empires, purchasing continues though the Constant apparatus, ensuring quality.

Thanks for all the recs! One more question, do I need to reserve in advance for all these places? If so, how far in advance, since I have only about 2 weeks now and need to know how quickly I must get this reasearch done . Thanks!

Well, it's good if not necessary to make them everywhere but except for Astier, Cerisaie + Les Fables de la Fontaine I think you can make them when you're there, eg 3-4 days in advance so long as you don't care in what order you eat.

I make them the morning of the meal (for lunch) and have had problems once or twice in 10 years; but I thinks it's better for dinner to be safe. However, I eat out so rarely for dinner and then usually locally, I'll let other give their opinions.

John Talbott

Aside from Spring, which I believe you need to call about ten days in advance, I have always had luck with the day of for dinner. But just to be safe, I would call a couple of days in advance for the ones I recommeded.

I know places like Le Comptoir it is next to impossible to get a reservation, but since you are staying in the area, you might just want to swing by around 7:30 and see if they might have space... you never know!

Also, I don't think that the Cave of L'Os a Moelle takes dinner reservations. Their restaurant across the street does, but I'm pretty sure no on the Cave. Can anyone confirm?

And, although sounds like you're specifically looking for dinner, Le Comptoir doesn't take them at all for lunch.

Happy planning!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Also, I don't think that the Cave of L'Os a Moelle takes dinner reservations.  Their restaurant across the street does, but I'm pretty sure no on the Cave.  Can anyone confirm?

No but their offshoot, Les Symples de l..... does and it's a hoot.

John Talbott

Also, I don't think that the Cave of L'Os a Moelle takes dinner reservations.  Their restaurant across the street does, but I'm pretty sure no on the Cave.  Can anyone confirm?

Tell me more about Les Simples, I'm intrigued....

Tell me more about Les Simples, I'm intrigued....

OK this from April 2006 -
6.1. Les Symples de l’Os A Moelle, 18, ave de la Republique in Issy-Les-Moulineaux (92), 01.41.08.02.52, is smack out of the #12 Metro line exit, is closed Saturday lunch and Sundays and advertises itself as a “table d’hote – cave á vin.” My French food critic friend, ever helpful, said when I told him I wanted to try this restaurant in Issy, the second spin-off from L’Os a Moelle – “Why, no one will go, you’re wasting your time.” Perhaps, but this is almost a “one of a kind place.” Spin yourself back to the French countryside in the 1950’s, just after the war, when food was simple, good and cheap; add a tiny place with 30 covers, essentially three big tables with separations of two inches max; put oh, 6-8 dishes/platters on every possible space, piled high with grated beets, carrots, fennel, lentils and cucumbers plus two pates (one velvety smooth foie gras/rillettes/etc; the other with a boudin mixture from the country) and cornichons and super bread,; sell wine by the glass (3 €+), carafe, from one of those fancy oxygen-cheating taps, of 70 cl (14 €+) or bottle (23 €+); serve one soup (our day, an incredible mushroom and foie gras mix whipped to a froth) and one classic main (gigot with ratatouille, also first class); continue with a huge cheese plate of goat (5) and vache (1), several desserts (rice pudding, prunes with orange flavored wine sauce, apple crumble, prune clafoutis and a Macedonia), Illy coffee and Chateldon (who was saying on eGullet recently that this water was the mark of a good place?) and what do you have for 22 €? - a damn fine way to spend a few hours. There’s little more to say: all locals, all there (but us) because of their love of the mothership(s), no smoking, no complaining, no dishes sent back, no whining, much inter-table interaction – a very happy bunch. Our bill = 67 €; quick, send your backpacking relatives, better yet, come yourself, no one else will. Just for the Turkish toilet, you deserve to go back in time to a kindler, gentler age.

John Talbott

I have been to La Cave many times and have always made a reservation. I don't think I have been in the last two years though, so maybe something has changed.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I have been to La Cave many times and have always made a reservation. I don't think I have been in the last two years though, so maybe something has changed.

Today,they have 2 seatings.19h30 and 21.30.Early reservation advisable.

Food at best is average.Good wine selection at retail cost.Friedly communal table

.Big plus when dining solo.

• 2 months later...