• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a LARGE Boston Shaker

scratchline

At a recent cocktail party, I found myself in the weeds thanks to the limited capacity of my standard Boston shaker. Fortunately I had an oversized cobbler shaker to go to, but now I really want a BIG Boston shaker. What can people recommend? I've seen some mention of the WSM or the Rosle, but I'm really looking for size here. Any pointers will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I am a fan of neither the Boston shaker nor the Cobbler. So my advice leans to the practical over the aesthetic. I used to work in clubs where it was necessary to make 20 Soco and lime shots, or 7 Cosmos at a time. I found if you get a Milk shake tin, it has grooves down the side, and then you get a big Cobbler shaker (throw away the useless top) they will fit together perfectly. Get the milk shaker first and carry it when shopping for the top piece. The lip of the the cobbler should not come below the first groove of the bottom or you will make a hell of a mess. It takes a bit of a spanking to get them to separate, but it works like a charm for system nine, combat bartending. Or when you have 10 thirsty guests clamoring for a cocktail.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE