• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please help me shop for a Paris picnic

tug

We're going to be in Paris for an action packed Monday in a few weeks. As part of the itinerary we want to have a picnic of bread, wine, paté and cheese.

I have done a bit of research and thought we hit gold when I found out about the little market street of Rue Cler. Alas, it is closed on Mondays :(

Can anyone recommend somewhere either around the Champs-Elysées or the Eiffel Tower where we can have a similar shopping experience?

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

On Monday all markets and market streets are closed, so you'll have to rely on the Monoprix or on the gourmet department stores like Inno, La Grande Epicerie (Bon Marché) or Lafayette Gourmet.

Monoprix are all over Paris. Be careful; some of them don't have a food department. I recommend the one on boulevard Malesherbes at Saint-Augustin.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

thank you Ptipois!

I see that theres one on the Champs-Elysées too. Would it be more expensive than the rest of the chain? We're not buying a whole feast, but I do want to limit the time we're carrying around a bag of food. Also, will we be able to buy wine there?

- The Goons

Uggh! Don't go to Monoprix. You might as well bring a pinic from the states if your going to shop at Monoprix. Take the 11 to the Rambuteau stop. As you get off the stop you will see the Pompidou. Walk down Rue Rambuteau walking away from the Pompidou. At the begining of the street is a cheese/pate/cured meat shop with a pretty good selection. The Nicolas across the street is open to pick-up wine as is another wine shop a few doors down. On this block is a fish monger where you get get oysters, there is also an Italian speciality shop and two produce stands. On the next block there is a bakery called Pain de Sucre which is delicious. Grab a baguette and some sweets. There are a few other places that are all open, I just can't think of them all of the top of my head. It will take you a bit longer to get your shopping done this way, but this is the Paris food shopping experience, not picking out your import fruit under the florescent lights of a giant grocery store. Le Grande Epicerie is nice, but most of their prices make Whole Foods look like a bargain.

Edited by BradenP (log)
"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

Thank you BradenP

I was hoping not to break our stride and venture too far off our carefully planned itin. We will also be in Montemartre earlier that morning. Might I find some shops there that would supply my picnic foods?

- The Goons

I'm wondering if shops in Paris are closed for "Easter Monday"? Shops here in the states aren't, but I know that Canada and I believe Great Britain celebrate Easter Monday.

Margy

thank you Ptipois!

I see that theres one on the Champs-Elysées too.

I didn't recomment that one because I'm not sure it has a food department. The one in Saint-Augustin is quite good.

Would it be more expensive than the rest of the chain?

Of course not.

Also, will we be able to buy wine there?

You will.

Uggh! Don't go to Monoprix. You might as well bring a pinic from the states if your going to shop at Monoprix.

This is, to say the least, a bit exaggerated.

Monoprix has some very good produce though I admit it is not so cute and (at first sight) not so much of a "Parisian" experience than Rambuteau, where you won't necessarily find greater stuff, especially on a Monday. (Pretty far from tug's zone too. And are the shops — the fish market for instance — really open on Mondays?)

Edited by Ptipois (log)

This is, to say the least, a bit exaggerated.

Monoprix has some very good produce

As usual, I agree with Ptitpois. Day in and day out, Monoprix does just fine. Often my street market has outrageous prices for stuff imported from Kenya (haricots verts), Israel (avocado) or Chile (grapes) while Franprix and Monoprix have just the same for less and sometimes better quality/shelf life.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

PS. I assume you've visited our compendium on Picnics, etc.  If not, as they say at 42nd St, check it out.

I have :)

and thanks to everyone for your help!

- The Goons