• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting Boards DIY

caobao

This summer, I am moving in to an apartment with a bigger kitchen. I want to celebrate the extra space to get myself the XXL cutting board I've always wanted. However, here in Denmark they are difficult to find, and so I've decided to make my own, if possible.

Do any of you have any advice as to the kind of wood I need and the production details? Or, alternatively, a place to buy larger-than-usual cutting boards.

Happy Easter,

CB

Can you find the disposable ones manufactured by Glad, or the polyurithane "disposable" ones? I think they're both brilliant!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I've decided to make my own.... larger-than-usual cutting boards.

As well as an idea of the planned size, there are a couple of other questions that spring to mind; You have, or have access to a moderately well equipped woodshop? Are you thinking of an edge grained uppermost cutting board, or an end grain uppermost chopping [or butcher's] block?

The wood you use may be dictated to some extent by what is available. Maple blocks are common in North America, Beech in the UK and many of the lower-cost commercial products are Hevea ['Rubberwood']. Something available locally at reasonable cost with good stability and durability ratings is what you'll need [Hevea doesn't really fit that description :smile: ]. There's probably more information than you want, online courtesy of the Forest Products Lab of the USDA..

I picked up a large cutting wood cutting board at IKEA a few years ago and recently saw some large ones in bamboo.

Don't you have IKEA in Denmark, or is that a stupid question?

Bode