• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The perfect ham

Norman Walsh

After various attempts I need help on how to cook the perfect ham.

Mine always tend to end up a bit dryish.

This was my last procedure:

Started of with an 8lb boned leg of pork, cured it in brine for a week then soaked in fresh water for an hour.

Into pan covered with water then cooked for 6 hours at 180F.

The next day I scored it then brushed with a mustard glaze and baked 2 hours.

It was quite nice but not as moist as I would like.

I am comparing it with the deli counter at my local supermarket where the cooked boiled ham is very tender and moist.

Many, many years ago I was a cook in the British merchant marine and I will always remember coming to the US and loading provisions among which was tins of Swifts Virginia Ham, boy was that delicious, the best ham I have ever tasted.

Does anyone know if that stuff is still available?

So I look forward to any hints and tips on cooking a moist tender ham.

Norm

I have never tried to make a ham from 'scratch'..always wondered though. I hope someone answers for you, so we can both find out!

About the swift's ham, I know there's a lot of pressed ham in tins, I'll do a search for you. I have one in the pantry but can't for the life of me remember the name. When I get home, I'll check.

I generally use a dry heat on very low to cook/warm the ham and take care to blast the glaze or crust for only a few minutes (<30) at high heat. I usually find the ham both moist and delicious (but then, I love ham so I'm really easy to please).

If you're cooking a fresh ham, I think low and slow in a moist environment is the way to go.

One way I've been successful in getting a moist ham from a pre cooked product is to use a rotissserie on a gas grill at fairly low heat. Start glazing it some right away and the glaze forms a crust on the exterior that helps seal in moisture as you heat the ham up.

Norman

Deli ham can be as much as 30% inject water solution ie "ham and water product" "ham water added" or just Ham

you cant make one as moist as they can

but the last one I made was a tiny spiral cut job and I reduced 20 oz of gingerale with fresh sliced ginger and sealed it up with foil in a low oven...actually someone turned the oven off on me but all was good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

I make one or two hams for myself from time to time. agree with previous poster on not getting confused with a watter-added product, yuk.

i cure mine in what i have found is a very efficient method, but you need a bit of kit i'm privileged to have access too. I make up a "dry-cure" or salt + whatever flavourings.

I then tunnel bone a leg of pork up to the knee, and leave on the trotter (i leave the food on, and remove the bone above the knee but without cutting into the ham) a good butcher who buys real pork can do this for you.

i then stick the leg + salt mix into a vac-bag and vacume pack the lot. This removes the need for huge buckets, the finished article sits cleanly on a chiller shelf and i find the vacume helps drive in the salt/flavourings. Cure to your tastes but i usually allow 5 days. This is actually incredibly consitent compared to making a conventional brine. 5 days gives a strong brine (same as 7-8 in a 30% wet brine)

I rinse, soak for an hour (probably less as i'll get bored) and cook in lots of fresh water @ 95C for 3-4 hours (i'll check more accurate times as notes are at work)

Then you have so many options to glaze/bake/roast and others will have better ideas on this than me.

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen