• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simnel Cake

Desiderio

Someone linked the recipe to me and I was intrigued by this cake , that I didnt know.I would like to make it for Easter maybe, it sounds like a something between a fruit cake ( plumcake ) and a spice cake.I m not too convinced on the marzapan filling and covering.

Vanessa

I'll be making one for the first time too today so we'll have to post results. Just bought a book on festivals, holidays and the recipes for the foods associated with them and decided to try the cake recipe- although from here I'll have to get conversions from the metric to our measurements.

The recipe I have has port in it too-a plus for me, I have a half of a bottle I want to use up before summer is here.

Part of the appeal of this recipe to me is the marzipan filling- never have tried making it before.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

My favourite simnel cake recipe is Darina Allen's - this was posted on the school's website a while ago - link here

simnel cake recipe and scroll down a bit to get to the easter recipes.

I think the important thing is to use a marzipan with 50% almonds, if you marzipan with a very high sugar content it can become quite indistinct in the middle of the cake once baked.

I like the addition of irish whiskey but it still tastes good without it.

Jill

I've never made Simnel cake, but I absolutely adore it. The marzipan (we call it almond paste) in the middle is really wonderful. Please let us know how you get on if you give it a try.

And I agree with lapin d'or's advice. Darina Allen is very good on traditional cakes etc.

Wonderfull! Thank you for the link ,I will make it tonight then.

Unfortunally around here currants and candied peels are hard to find, and I didnt make any ( if I knew in time ).

Vanessa

Ok, I converted everything correctly, even went to two sites for tables just to double check if the first one was right and then I end up putting in only half of the butter it called for. Even though it was a little on the hard and heavy side, its still a wonderful cake. Never knew homemade marzipan actually had a taste --mmm. I had some currants-they are hard to find, but recently spotted them in a local feed store/health food store and was wanting to use them in something.

Question -my recipe called for a teaspoon of mixed spices; I used a quarter t. each of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, was this correct?

Will definitely try this again-

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I just love simnel cake, especially with a very thick layer of marzipan running through it. I use my fail safe rich fruit cake recipe and top it with a layer of marzipan and marzipan eggs finished off with a blow torch. Yummmy !

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Teagal, I think the spice mix you used should have been fine.

When I make up my own mixed spice powder I usually add some allspice (jamaican pepper). I think the commercial blends can have pepper and coriander in them but if I followed a recipe I would use one from Elizabeth David's Yeast cookery:

2 parts freshly ground nutmeg

2 parts ground allspice

1 part ground cinnamon

1 part ground clove

1 part ground ginger root

I like mace in Easter baking so would substitute some of the nutmeg for mace.

Jill

I followed the recipe lapin d'or linked.Its very similar ( practically the same ) as what I call Plum cake ( english origin) very rich thick fruit cake ,very good .

I used a bundt pan and I still put the marzapan in the middle.I thought my regular round pan was too large and I couldnt find the bottom of the smaller one :raz:

Well its very very good .

Vanessa