• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Thompson dinner @ Longrain

I was wondering if anyone could share their experience of the dinner David Thompson did at Longrain Melbourne.

I didn't get to go, but my partner works at the restaurant and he brought some food home for me to try.

There was a lovely gentle and quite sweet dish of braised Murry Cod with eggplants and pine mushrooms and a hot hot curry of beef with chillies, pepper and galangal, but that's all i got to try.

Anyone go to the dinner?

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone could share their experience of the dinner David Thompson did at Longrain Melbourne.

I didn't get to go, but my partner works at the restaurant and he brought some food home for me to try.

There was a lovely gentle and quite sweet dish of braised Murry Cod with eggplants and pine mushrooms and a hot hot curry of beef with chillies, pepper and galangal, but that's all i got to try.

Anyone go to the dinner?

Pine mushrooms!!! :shock: ......in early april :shock: .......we need rain in Daylesford....the forest is so so dry :sad:

<a href='http://www.flickr.com/aussiebarracuda' target='_blank'>My Food</a>

Yeah it's pretty early isn't it?

don't know where they came from but they worked beautifully in the dish because they held their shape and texture.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

Pine mushrooms!!! :shock:  ......in early april :shock: .......we need rain in Daylesford....the forest is so so dry :sad:

We saw a lot of pine mushrooms at the Richmond street market about two weeks ago. One stand had several cartons of them, but they were of very poor quality - big, but very damaged specimens. I can't remember the price, but they were not that expensive.

But only one stallholder (different from the one above) has had them in the last two weeks, and I think he would've been charging at least $50/kg for them.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"