• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling Sweet Potatos...

Fay Jai

Slice them (thickly), a little olive oil, a little salt and pepper... probably a very hot fire, (they will be accompanying steaks).

Anything wrong with this picture? A friend suggested that I soak them, but that sounds wrong to me.

Sounds like a dumb question I know, but my experience with sweet potatos mainly consists of Sweet Potato fries and Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I've grilled before and slice them so they are about as thick as my finger, toss with olive oil, s & p and a little cayenne (I like the heat with the sweet) and put on grill. Hot to medium hot -keep an eye on them and turn everyonce in a while. They'll soften up. I've never heard of soaking them.

I don't like them much thicker than 1/2 inch as it takes a long time to cook them (longer than your steak) and I don't like them burnt too much - a little is ok but not too much :biggrin:

Just be patient and keep turning them every so often. I'm not talking that they'll take an hour but they'll probably take 20 minutes........Della

It's more of a snack than a side dish, but in Japan, and I believe also in Korea, it's common to foil-wrap whole sweet potatoes and cook them close to the coals of a fire. It does take some time, but it's hard to beat, and needs little-to-no assistance from additional seasonings.

I have frequently oven-roasted sweet potato wedges (see this photo, upper left, with white-fleshed ones) coated in olive oil and a little salt, but they do have lots of sugars and can become quite dark very quickly if you don't watch carefully. Sometimes the nice caramelized flesh just wants to stick to the grill or baking sheet, which can be frustrating.

Sweet potatoes can brown quickly (not in the good way) when exposed to air, so it's common to keep the sweet potatoes in water as you're slicing them. That's probably where the soaking comes in.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I don't find the orange flesh sweet potatoes oxidize and discolor quickly but do watch them closely on the grill. The burn easy. I do these often when grilling a steak or burgers. White potatoes or sweet both work well on the grill wilth little prep but slicing, seasoning and a light coat of oil.

I don't find the orange flesh sweet potatoes oxidize and discolor quickly but do watch them closely on the grill.  The burn easy.  I do these often when grilling a steak or burgers.  White potatoes or sweet both work well on the grill wilth little prep but slicing, seasoning and a light coat of oil.

I agree, they burn pretty fast. I usually put them on a cooler part of the grill for a slower cook.

Bode

To cook in the same time as your steak, boil whole until half cooked. Cool completely and slice. Season and oil, the potatoes will have a good fluffy interior and yummy grilled exterior. I've done this with white potatoes often. I love tempura fried sweet potatoes.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.