• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honeysuckle Ice Cream and Sorbet

jmridd

Recently I was having a discussion with a friend/pastry cook and we got to wondering how honeysuckle sorbet and/or ice cream is made. I have searched through the forums already, and the one link to a sorbet recipe was no longer functional. Any help or insight or recipes would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

there's a recipe for honeysuckle sorbet in a book recently given to me by a friend - 'seasoned in the south' by bill smith. the procedure is to basically steep honeysuckle blossoms in water (almost 1:1, slightly less flowers than water) overnight. strain & combine with a simple syrup, then freeze.

i haven't made this yet, but have always been intrigued by the idea. can't recall the requirements/procedures for posting recipes from a published source, but if anyone can let me know how to do it, i'd be happy to post the recipe here.

Inko's makes a bottled, unsweetened honeysuckle iced tea that is wonderful. The honeysuckle flavour is "honeysuckle extract". I'd love to know where to get some.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

You could try contacting Capogiro Gelato here in Philly. They make the best Honeysuckle gelato ever known to man. My annual wait for Honeysuckle Moscato floats is almost over. Yay!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

(f you don't have access to the fresh blooms you might try starting with d'Arbo's White Elderflower Syrup click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I think I would probably start by infusing some washed flower heads in milk then using this to start the custard base for the ice cream. I suppose if you were really superorganised you could try putting some flower heads in the caster sugar to bump up the flavour

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

You could try contacting Capogiro Gelato here in Philly.  They make the best Honeysuckle gelato ever known to man.  My annual wait for Honeysuckle Moscato floats is almost over.  Yay!

wow...I've got to try one of those!!

I do know that it takes an incredible amount of blossoms to get enough flavor. I always thought a sherbet would be the perfect frozen treat: the fat from the milk/cream would carry flavor yet not be over powered by the custard from an ice cream base.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Can I just check - is what is referred to as gelato what would be known as Ice cream in the UK ? I'm new and am still finding my way around the american names for ingredients and foods !

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Can I just check - is what is referred to as gelato what would be known as Ice cream in the UK ? I'm new and am still finding my way around the american names for ingredients and foods !

Gelato is denser than Ice cream but has less fat.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You could try contacting Capogiro Gelato here in Philly.  They make the best Honeysuckle gelato ever known to man.  My annual wait for Honeysuckle Moscato floats is almost over.  Yay!

wow...I've got to try one of those!!

I do know that it takes an incredible amount of blossoms to get enough flavor. I always thought a sherbet would be the perfect frozen treat: the fat from the milk/cream would carry flavor yet not be over powered by the custard from an ice cream base.

Here's what they look like when finished:

gallery_23992_3172_29307.jpg

The subtle floral notes in the wine perfectly mirror the perfume of the gelato. The season for the honeysuckle gelato is short - but this may be one of my favorite applications.

I don't know how Capogiro does it, but their honeysuckle gelato is just glorious.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol