• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Susur And Lee Prices?

MinhD

I'm thinking of going to one of his two restaurants, either his more upscale Susur restaurant or to Lee... Differentiator will probably be price, we'll be three going.

Anybody know what a typical meal (with and without wine) costs at either of these places? We'll probably be taking the tasting menu wherever it's available.

Thx!

Here's the website: http://www.susur.com/

My experience - dinner for two, with a couple of beers, maybe a couple glasses of wine and a cocktail will run you $400 or so if you opt for the full-on tasting menu at Susur. If you did the vegetarian tasting menu and kept alcohol consumption to a minimum it might be half that though. Last time we went to Lee I think we paid less than $150 and we probably had a few drinks there, probably 2 or three glasses of wine (total, not each).

For what it's worth, I think Susur is actually better value for your $ than Lee.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Hmm. I think his website used to have the prices listed - it doesn't seem to anymore, at least I couldn't find them given a cursory glance. Anyhow, I remember the full 7 course tasting menu was @ $115 or $125 per person. That's before taxes and tip and doesn't include alcohol. Last time I went the vegetarian option was $75 or so, I think. That may have been just the 5 course menu though, and it was a couple years ago as well.

But that should give you an idea - with tax and tip your're in for anywhere from probably a bit over $100 a head for vegetarian or @ $150 - 175 for the full non-veg tasting menu.

I've never ordered a la carte there - it seems to still be an option, but I thought I'd heard he was phasing that out?

Honestly, if budget was a deciding factor, i'd do the vegetarian tasting menu at Susur over Lee's.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I was at Susur a couple months ago. We were presented with one menu, which displayed 2 different 7-course tasting menu choices; both included meat. (I'm assuming that a vegetarian menu would have been offered if we had asked.) Each menu was priced at $120. There were no other options shown (no 5-course menu, no à la carte options).

Wines by the glass were available, with some starting around $10 per glass. There was also a wine pairing available, around $70 for 4 glasses, I believe.

I agree with the above posts - those prices sound about right - we did both a full-on 7 course, and the vegetarian version last June. I'm with Gordon, if you're doing it, go big... but as Geoff says, if it's down to price, the vegetarian tasting menu is pretty spectacular.

The times I've gone, I haven't been with wine enthusiasts, so we'd just get a bottle and a couple of glasses, it's entirely possible to do that affordably.

There's no a la carte menu anymore, but we were told that if you really wanted to just have a few courses from the tasting menu, not the full extravaganza, that they'd work something out. You might want to verify this beforehand if it's interesting to you, the policy could have changed, and I have no idea about prices for something like that.

I'd encourage the Susur experience over Lee, even though I've enjoyed both. Lee is good, but not nearly as unique or adventurous.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

There's no a la carte menu anymore, but we were told that if you really wanted to just have a few courses from the tasting menu, not the full extravaganza, that they'd work something out.  You might want to verify this beforehand if it's interesting to you, the policy could have changed, and I have no idea about prices for something like that.

I'll add that I think this would really miss the fun and the point of dining at Susur. Better to investigate vegetarian or shorter tastings, in terms of value. I'm also another who feels that Susur is better value than Lee.

to me, Susur tasting > Lee > Susur a la carte