• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Drips-- The Anti-Starbucks?

nessa

My hairdresser turned me on to this place on Lovers, Drips. They apparently are a family owned business that has been roasting their own beans for 4 generations. I've bought coffee beans here twice and would like to know if anyone else has? I am very happy with their Estate Java, its luscious, smooth, and makes me very, very happy. The Yirgacheffe.... I'm not sure. I seem to taste an odd aftertaste/backtaste when I drink it that I have not noticed with other yirgacheffes.

Those are the only two beans that I've tried. I like that everything is very fresh, and I like supporting small businesses. Its on the south side of Lovers just East of the Tollway. I really would love some more experienced coffee lover's opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

stopped in today to buy some coffee (i.e. whole beans) and to get a cup just to drink.

good coffee. I brought home some Columbian. But I'm not really an experienced coffee lover, so I can't comment intelligently on how good it is compared to other sources. I just like that it's local and that it's fresh roasted (my beans were roasted on the 10th)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Yes, I love that they are a local family, and that the beans are fresh as can be. I also like the stuff CM carries from the Addison roasters, but I think that Drips has the potential to be more fresh. I really wish I had a neighborhood coffee shop where I could go and chill and have a nice cuppa.

I've bought the Addison Roasters stuff at CM before. The Plano CM is very convenient as it's between work and home. I even chatted with one of the guys from Addison Roasters at CM a two weekends ago. He said the stuff turns over pretty fast, so it's pretty fresh.

But the Drips place actually will tell you the date it was roasted and then they actually mark that date on the bag. The bag also sates they don't sell beans that over over 10 days old.

I wish Drips or a place like it was a little closer to me, too. It's not too bad of a drive, but I think coffee (and going out for it) really is a VERY local thing. There is a Starbucks up the the street.. :huh:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip, Nessa. I'll have to try them out.

I have continued to get my weekly bean supply from Dunn Brothers on Beltline for the last few years. They roast the beans on site daily and don't sell any that are more than 5 days old. (The best time frame should be 2 - 4 day old roasted beans, according to the coffee afficianados in our Coffee & Tea Forum.) They are a locally owned family franchise operation - first Dunn Brothers in Texas.

They are very reasonably priced, too. In order to encourage people to try more varieties, they sell any half pound for $5. I usually pick up a half pound each of a caf and a decaf. in addition to dating them, they indicate whether they were roasted to French Roast or Full City levels.

We did a rather disgusting coffee tasting at Dunn Brothers a couple of years ago. It was interesting and lots of fun, too. (Real coffee tastings are inherently noisy and disgusting, much like real wine tastings, but I think they have come up with a way to do it without driving away all their regular customers.)

There are now two more Dunn Brothers (different owners) in Frisco and at the Tollway & LBJ (635). Haven't been in either so I can't comment. I think each owner determines much about the content and tone of their shop. The one on Beltline has something going on all the time - live music many nights, local art on the walls, tango dancing regularly, as well as several free laptops and free wifi (which is getting rare these days). Full range of coffee and espresso drinks (hot and cold) - I have liked all I have tried. Wine - have not tried any. Not as fond of their pastries and sandwiches.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

Richard,

Thanks for the post on Dunn Brothers. I've seen their LBJ/Tollroad location many, many times. Seeme like an awkward location to me, but it may be worth it. Also good to know there is a location on Beltline at Marsh (I don't get over that way these days like I used to). That's still a bit closer to me than Drips down in the Park Cities area, as is the LBJ/Tollway location.

I'll go check them out this weekend.

• 1 month later...

A quick note for those on the east side of Dallas.

Don't overlook White Rock Coffee on NW Hwy near Audelia. Beans roasted on site, and a terrific, friendly staff. Plus, you won't pay for Wi-Fi while you're there.

The prices are a bit high, but have gone down as the business has been open longer and volume has increased.

I will have to check out Drips, even if it's a bit farther away from Garland than WR Coffee.

Edited by TBoner (log)

Tim