• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Church Street Station - New Ownership

annecros

I spent many a good time at Church Street Station back in its heyday.

Click here for article on Church Street's new owner

Three years ago he took on the rebuilding of an entire city block between Orange and Magnolia avenues, less than a block east of Church Street Station. That mixed-use project, The Plaza, which he is just finishing, is the biggest downtown redevelopment in city history.

Now his sights are trained on a property that two decades ago was one of the biggest-drawing attractions in Florida.

"I have been thinking about this property for years," Kuhn said. "I plan to restore it to its past glory. There hasn't been a plan for this property since Bob Snow."

Snow is the entrepreneur who took a blighted half-block of west Church Street in the early 1970s and created a dining-and-entertainment complex that drew both tourists and locals with attractions such as as Rosie O'Grady's Good Time Jazz Emporium and the Cheyenne Saloon & Opera House.

"I just hope he makes it a vibrant part of downtown Orlando again," said Snow, who attended Thursday's auction in bankruptcy court in Orlando.

Orlando is certainly in desperate need of redevelopment and more dining options. Are any Orlando resident's out there familiar with Kuhn and his past development work?

• 2 months later...

Downtown was great for underaged drinking! I'm glad to hear someone bought up Church St, I hope they actually do something worthwhile with that property. It's languished for far too long. I also hope they keep some of the original architectural features and don't "modernize" it to death.

I would love to hear how things progress in downtown, I used to live in Colonialtown and work in Thornton Park. Chez Jose, anyone? Are the Globe restaurant and Kit Kat club still in opperation??

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my best friends used to be a cancan dancer at Rosie O'Grady's. I miss the multilevel arcade fun... oh... and Terror on Church Street.

Good times.

Didn't some German bloke buy Church street like 7 years ago? Wasnt he suppposed to "save" it? Anyone remember that? Nothing ever happened...

I used to LOVE KitKat!! Sadly... the whole corner was sold and turned into very plastic clubs. Alot of the kitkat crowd sort of migrated to Knock Knock and Backbooth. But then... this was like, 6 years ago.. so its all probably changed again since!

Edited by LittleLea (log)

I don't know about a German guy, but Lou Pearlman made a mess of things.

$100M in fraud indictment for Lou Pearlman

t also alleges he created fictitious accounting firms -- Cohen & Siegel and S. Kaplan and Co. -- to present false financial statements and phony tax returns never filed with the IRS; misrepresented the value of collateral on bank loans; pledged the same company airline stock on multiple loans; and falsely represented the name of a dead man on correspondence with Integra Bank this past November.

Pearlman fled the United States in late January after falling behind and not making loan payments in mid- and late 2006, according to foreclosure suits filed against him.

Creditors contend that Pearlman defaulted on at least $130 million in loans. He also had leveraged most of his assets, including the Church Street Station entertainment complex in Orlando, luxury residences and even his interests in superstar pop bands he managed, 'N Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

Several lawsuits, including one from the Florida Office of Financial Regulation, allege he received more than $317 million from 1,800 investors in an "employee investment savings account" program.

The whereabouts of the missing money, if any, are unknown.

A collection of property of Pearlman and his companies -- ranging from Backstreet Boys platinum records to office equipment -- were auctioned in Orlando earlier this month but were expected to raise only about $200,000 for creditors.

The guy that originally developed Church Street Station has been brought back to operate a portion of the complex, and there are plans for a hotel there.

Familiar face to take reins of saloon

Developer Cameron Kuhn closed Monday on his $34 million acquisition of Church Street Station and confirmed that Bob Snow, founder of the once-popular entertainment complex in downtown Orlando, will play a part in the property's revival.

Kuhn bought the 7.3-acre property last month during a public auction in U.S. Bankruptcy Court but had delayed the closing until he could clear up questions about the amount of space available for lease and other issues, to satisfy lenders.

He said he will spend $14 million to upgrade the 1980s-era property, bringing back the wrought iron, polished wood and gas street lamps that Snow first installed when it was a thriving tourist destination.

Sounds promising.

Orlando was always a popular destination for Senior trips in the 1980s.

• 3 weeks later...
One of my best friends used to be a cancan dancer at Rosie O'Grady's.  I miss the multilevel arcade fun... oh... and Terror on Church Street.

Good times.

Didn't some German bloke buy Church street like 7 years ago?  Wasnt he suppposed to "save" it?  Anyone remember that?  Nothing ever happened...

I used to LOVE KitKat!!  Sadly... the whole corner was sold and turned into very plastic clubs.  Alot of the kitkat crowd sort of migrated to Knock Knock and Backbooth.  But then... this was like, 6 years ago.. so its all probably changed again since!

I was too young to get into KitKat when I lived in Colonialtown, but The Globe was awesome. Tiny little restaurant next door to kit, seasonal menu, and yummy bread in tiny terracotta pots. I miss that place sometimes.

It would be awesome to see someone undo the evil glenda hood did to downtown. Damn, I hate those lizards. and that's the least of the ills she unleashed.

Aside from pending church st renovations, is there anything new and noteworthy downtown?

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.