• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matzo . . . Lots and Lots of Matzo.

Pam R

Apparently, I miscalculated the amount of matzo I needed this year. A quick count turns up approximately 900 extra pounds. I have egg matzo, spelt matzo, whole wheat matzo, shmura matzo and well, matzo matzo.

The question is - what to do with all the matzo? I generally eat my matzo simply with some butter. On the rare occasion I'll make a batch of fried matzo. I use matzo meal and matzo cake meal in some baking recipes or to coat some chicken or meat. Matzo balls, matzo meal kugels, matzo meal rolls, cake meal cookies and cakes. But -er, this is a lot of matzo.

Ideas, please. Let me know what you do with it. In any form - farfel, meal, whole sheets.

900 POUNDS?!! There's gotta be a Guinness world record in there somewhere.

I can't imagine how you can use even a small fraction of it and remain sane. How about making and freezing a bunch of David Lebovitz's Caramelized Matzoh Crunch with Chocolate, then donating the rest of the matzo to a food bank?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Sorry. I should have explained things a little more clearly. :biggrin: I have a store that specializes in kosher food. This is the first big Passover that we did and . . . well . . . I was off a bit with the matzo.

I don't plan on using all of it myself - I'll sell some more. But, I'm still looking for some ideas because I have lots and lots of it. Lots. So I'd like some good ideas so that I can make a dent (small dent) in it.

Okay for a few extra boxes but 900lbs :wacko: One meal I make that uses a lot of matzo is matzo lasagna. Just use sheets of matzo in place of lasagna noodles. I think I can use a full box in one small lasagna. My kids even eat it. After cooking and absorbing the sauce the matzo even taste like noodles.

How about making and freezing a bunch of David Lebovitz's Caramelized Matzoh Crunch with Chocolate

One of my cousins has made this the last couple of years and it is excellent. One of my favorite matzo related desserts.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

So, Pam, what happens if you whiz it in the food processor and use it as breading?  (sell it already whized and ready for breading?)/

If you whiz it up you get matzo meal - a not-so-bad substitute for breadcrumbs. Whiz it up a little more, you get cake meal - a not-so-great substitute for flour.

I'm going to use some this weekend to coat eggplant - and we use a lot of it for schnitzel and fingers.

I've never made the lasagna - but I know lots of people do. One of my customers tried using some farfel in place of meat. She came in and reported that it worked well - once it absorbed some of the sauce. Matzo pizza is also very popular with my younger customers. :wink:

Candied matzo is very intriguing. Must look into it.

I was always a big fan of Matzo Brei growing up.

What you need is 2-3 really good matzo recipes that you can have a stack of next to the giant stack of matzo boxes in the store. People will think to themselves "boy, that sounds good*" and snag at least a good 30-40 lbs each!

Cheers,

-Dan

*Note: Of course, even the best Matzo-based food isn't really that good...

Pan - Er. I don't really have the room to store it. At the moment most of it is sitting in a train container in my parking lot (which needs to go back next week). I know I'll sell some more though - it's just that there's so much of it! I want to try to use some of it myself and I'd like some different ideas on how to do so.

Dan - excellent idea! I'll work on that.

Do you ever do cooking/baking classes? If you do, how about one entitled, "What Are We Ever Going to Do with All That Extra Matzo?" Include a box or two (or three) with each paid admission.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We love this apple kugel recipe and after Pesach ends, you'll be able to make it with brown sugar. I'd definitely still want to eat a kugel like this after the end of the holiday. I served it at the seders and have been snacking on it during the day.

Apple matzoh kugel (FYI - Abigail Kirsch is a caterer in this area.)

You might be able to create a flavored crumb mix (salt and dried herbs) and sell it for breading (or give it away!) Maybe a cute sticker label with a clever name? (Hey, people made a fortune selling "Pet Rocks" a few decades ago!)

Around here, people eat matzoh ball soup all year long. Maybe you could sell frozen matzoh balls. (One of the local brands charges $6 for 6 large matzoh balls and they can be frozen.) You might also be able to see if any local synagogues will be having Friday night dinners in the near future and have a need for matzoh balls.

And then there is sculpture.....

What can one fashion out of oversize crackers? The finalists in Monday's contest came forth with matzo candlesticks, a matzo Wailing Wall, even a matzo video game, complete with mini matzo Mario. "Super Mario Brothers is a game of conquest but more notably of oppression," the artist's statement read. "You thought it was a game about pizza-eating plumbers? How could you be so naïve?"

Full article is here (until it become unavailable on the site) Manishewitz Matzoh Sculpture contest

The contest winner won $1000 (US) for his replica of the Washington Square Arch (in New York City)

good luck...

jayne

My mother-in-law makes a wonderful Sephardic meat pie that's layered with matzoh. Not sure if it's the type of thing you could sell, but it's quite delicious. You make a meat pie filling from ground beef or lamb (or veal, or turkey, or a mix) sauteed with onions and garlic, and from there you can improvise a bit (cilantro, cumin and raisins make for a nice combination). You take a large casserole and line the bottom with squares of matzoh. Spoon some of the mixture over, then create a matzoh layer, then more of the mixture, etc. -- two or three layers depending on the depth of your pan. For the top layer, cover with matzoh and brush with egg. Bake at 350 F for about an hour.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We love this apple kugel recipe and after Pesach ends, you'll be able to make it with brown sugar. I'd definitely still want to eat a kugel like this after the end of the holiday. I served it at the seders and have been snacking on it during the day.

I actually printed out that recipe last week thinking it looked it good. Thanks for the confirmation.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I actually printed out that recipe last week thinking it looked it good. Thanks for the confirmation.

You can drop the white sugar from 1 1/2 cups down to 1 cup easily. (And my comment about the brown sugar was intended for Pam because she mentioned a difficulty getting KLP brown sugar in her area.)

jayne

How about making savory matzoh "chips", coated with various seasonings and then fried/baked to a crisp. You could have a lot of fun with different flavors, like the gourmet potato chip makers do. Hey, bagel chips and pita chips have done well, why not with matzoh?

Those various layered casserole ideas sound fabulous too.

You can drop the white sugar from 1 1/2 cups down to 1 cup easily. (And my comment about the brown sugar was intended for Pam because she mentioned a difficulty getting KLP brown sugar in her area.)

jayne

I actually have a bag! We put a call out and a couple of customers brought us some (we will not ask them where it came from). I believe I have a bag left.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to see what kind of ingredients I can gather today and give some of these ideas a shot.