• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Home Coffee Makers 2007-2009

marge201

I had a Krups 12-cupper for a long time, 10 years maybe. It was working fine when I gave it away and bought a blue Cooks (Penney's) 12-cupper which is just OK. It cost $30 and I bought it because it's a pretty blue. However, 10 months later it is dead.

Amazon reviewers like these two (both free shipping):

Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central, Black and Stainless Steel $80

Hamilton Beach 43253 Ensemble 12-Cup Coffeemaker, Red $50

My requirements:

1. 12 cups

2. stand-alone and no grinder attached (I use a separate)

3. Would love one that doesn't dribble with each cup of coffee poured.

Any thoughts out there?

Marge

I'll just toss this out for your evaluation. For the absolutely best coffee, I wouldn't go with anything other than a Chemex. You'll need to get a teapot and bring the water to a boil separately. And then pour a bit over the coffee to allow it to "bloom" before adding the rest of the water.

But, this is the only way that I know of to control the temperature of the water hitting the coffee grounds (I can't remember seeing any automatics with a temperature control option) and this amount of control that you'll gain will result in delicious coffee.

Also, you'll want to track down a Vacu-Vin canister for keeping your coffee beans.

You can find retro Chemex'es on Ebay (the glass used to be hand blown and thicker up through the 70's) resulting in longer life.

I had a Krups 12-cupper for a long time, 10 years maybe.  It was working fine when I gave it away and bought a blue Cooks (Penney's) 12-cupper which is just OK.  It cost $30 and I bought it because it's a pretty blue.  However, 10 months later it is dead.

Amazon reviewers like these two (both free shipping):

Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central, Black and Stainless Steel  $80 

Hamilton Beach 43253 Ensemble 12-Cup Coffeemaker, Red    $50 

My requirements:

1.  12 cups

2.  stand-alone and no grinder attached (I use a separate)

3.  Would love one that doesn't dribble with each cup of coffee poured.

Any thoughts out there?

Marge

I use a capresso brand coffee maker that I received as a wedding present and I love it. It's a bit more expensive I think, around $150 or so. But it makes a great pot of coffee. The grinder is part of the unit. I used to be a separate grinder, but this is a burr-grinder that is higher quality than the separate blade grinders that most people have. Plus, I don't have to use a paint brush to scoop out all of the grinds anymore (messy).

Also has a built in water filtration system and works flawlessly in every respect.

I'll just toss this out for your evaluation.  For the absolutely best coffee, I wouldn't go with anything other than a Chemex.  You'll need to get a teapot and bring the water to a boil separately. And then pour a bit over the coffee to allow it to "bloom" before adding the rest of the water.

But, this is the only way that I know of to control the temperature of the water hitting the coffee grounds (I can't remember seeing any automatics with a temperature control option) and this amount of control that you'll gain will result in delicious coffee.

Also, you'll want to track down a Vacu-Vin canister for keeping your coffee beans. 

You can find retro Chemex'es on Ebay (the glass used to be hand blown and thicker up through the 70's) resulting in longer life.

Thank you, Jay, for your interesting thoughts. I do enjoy coffee so I should take more care, like you outline, but I'll probably stick with the easy.

The greatest coffee, for those who love the flavored coffees, is TM Ward, http://www.tmwardcoffee.com/

My latest favorites: caramel nut, English toffee. I order decaf whole beans. their stuff is wonderful. call them and get free shipping with an order of $50: 973-623-1202

Marge

I use a capresso brand coffee maker that I received as a wedding present and I love it. It's a bit more expensive I think, around $150 or so. But it makes a great pot of coffee. The grinder is part of the unit. I used to be a separate grinder, but this is a burr-grinder that is higher quality than the separate blade grinders that most people have. Plus, I don't have to use a paint brush to scoop out all of the grinds anymore (messy).

Also has a built in water filtration system and works flawlessly in every respect.

Thanks, Jack Sprat, for taking the time to answer. I cheaped out and clicked "buy" for the Cuissinart at Amazon. I'll post my thoughts on it when I get it.

Marge

I am also in the evaluation process and the Moccamaster was recommended to me by a friend.

http://www.technivorm.com/home.html

I don't see a 12-cup model so it may not work for you but these reportedly make some damn good joe. They have a 2-carafe model I see, but that might be overkill except when you have company.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I am also in the evaluation process and the Moccamaster was recommended to me by a friend.

http://www.technivorm.com/home.html

I don't see a 12-cup model so it may not work for you but these reportedly make some damn good joe.  They have a 2-carafe model I see, but that might be overkill except when you have company.

Thanks a lot, Judy, for the interesting tip. Those are some good-looking coffee machines! I ordered the Cuisinart and I'll report back what I think. I clearly have less sophisticated coffee demands than y'all but I'll post my thoughts nevertheless!

Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central Coffeemaker, Black and Stainless Steel

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005IBX...=UTF8&s=kitchen

The black & stainless was $80 with free shipping yesterday (when I ordered) and today it's $63.44 + shipping. The white stainless is $80 with free shipping today.

Marge

Marge

I had the Cuisinart for the longest time, and I quite liked it. It makes pretty decent coffee, and it's easy to clean as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I had the Cuisinart for the longest time, and I quite liked it.  It makes pretty decent coffee, and it's easy to clean as well.

When it came time to replace my coffee maker I too agonized over many methods and prices. Ultimately I bought a basic Braun drip type from Bed Bath and Beyond - under $30.00 and it makes perfect coffee. Only 10 cup though.

When it came time to replace my coffee maker I too agonized over many methods and prices.  Ultimately I bought a basic Braun drip type from Bed Bath and Beyond - under $30.00 and it makes perfect coffee.  Only 10 cup though.

I forgot about Braun I think. will keep that in mind. thank you!

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

For what it's worth, there are some factors to consider when making coffee. Number one is grind and number two is water temperature.

Like I tell my staff, we might have some of the best equipment in the world but they matter not if we have a poor grinder. If you're buying pre-ground coffee or using a whirly bird grinder, you're doing yourself a disservice.

When it comes to home coffee brewers, just about every model in the consumer market is inadequate. Meaning they just don't reach the proper temperature (200F) for coffee brewing. This will always result in underextracted coffee.

For the best results (with the least amount of fuss) the Technivorm mentioned above is the way to go. It's a drip brewer that achieves the proper water temperature.

It's definitely a bit pricier than the rest but it's a tough machine that should last a lifetime, making it completely worthwhile.

It is my choice for a home coffee brewer.

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

For what it's worth, there are some factors to consider when making coffee.  Number one is grind and number two is water temperature.

Like I tell my staff, we might have some of the best equipment in the world but they matter not if we have a poor grinder.  If you're buying pre-ground coffee or using a whirly bird grinder, you're doing yourself a disservice.

When it comes to home coffee brewers, just about every model in the consumer market is inadequate.  Meaning they just don't reach the proper temperature (200F) for coffee brewing.  This will always result in underextracted coffee.

For the best results (with the least amount of fuss) the Technivorm mentioned above is the way to go.  It's a drip brewer that achieves the proper water temperature. 

It's definitely a bit pricier than the rest but it's a tough machine that should last a lifetime, making it completely worthwhile.

It is my choice for a home coffee brewer.

Thank you, onocoffee, for your informative answer. For someone who really enjoys coffee (me), you'd think I'd be a little less pedestrian but this thread has maybe helped me see the light. I will keep my eyes and ears open about Technivorm and hopefully get to experience a cup and see if my pedestrian palate notices a difference. I also love the aroma that the flavored coffees produce.

Do you own a restaurant or a coffee place?

I am a coffee lover of many decades. I roast and grind my own beans. My drip brewer of choice is a Capresso MT-500, popular amongst coffee fans.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I just got the MT 500. I'm very happy with it. I believe it brews at 200 degrees, or even a little higher. It certainly makes great coffee.

It's considerably more expensive than the original price range, though.

I have an older 10 cup Krups, model 208 or 209, I believe. It has a thermal pot, one of the best features imaginable IMHO. I dropped the pot a few months ago, the bottom outside pot has a crack. It doesn't leak. I recently put an "I Want It" on eBay. A week later, I received a note from someone.

I'm getting a factory rebuilt, black, with stainless thermo, for $29 plus $12 shipping!!

Of course, I get to add the old one to my basement collection of stuff I may need someday.

The best thing you can do for everyday coffee is to get a great burr grinder, standardise on an above average abraca bean, and grind it daily. EVERYONE will want to know your secret!

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

I had the Cuisinart for the longest time, and I quite liked it.  It makes pretty decent coffee, and it's easy to clean as well.

great to hear you liked it. what do you have now??

When we re-did our kitchen in December, we installed a built in Dacor coffee machine that does everything except sing. :biggrin: I still have a Cuisinart in my RV though.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marge-

I currently own a coffee place in Towson, Maryland.

Onocoffee is far too shy and retiring (NOT!). He recently placed as one of the top three finalists in the 2007 Mid Atlantic Regional Barista Championships - against stifff competition. He also serves up stellar coffee and superb espresso drinks at his cafe.

Look for Spro Coffee in Maryland right here: Espresso Map

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. This made for an interesting thread and I learned a lot.

I got this:

Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central, Black and Stainless Steel $80, free shipping

ordered it from Amazon and had it 4 days later.

I like it a lot because:

1. the coffee is good

2. it looks nice

3. the pot does NOT dribble

4. I can program the coffeemaker to shut off from zero to 4 hours after brewing.

5. I can adjust the temperature of the coffee after brewing by setting the heater plate control knob to high, medium, or low.

It has a self-clean function for removing calcium build-up. I'll see how that works when the time comes. It has a charcoal water filter (good for 60 days or 60 uses) and maybe that improves things. A pack of 12 replacements costs $20.

The only thing I don't like so far is it's impossible to tell how much water is in the reservoir. You have to look inside to see the cup markings but I just can't tell where the water is. So if I want 8 cups, I have to carefully put 8 cups in the carafe and then dump the water in the reservoir. But if I get distracted and don't remember how much water I dumped in, there is no way to tell how much water is in the reservoir. I have to dump all the water out and start again. That is annoying. But not annoying enough to ruin the enjoyment I'm having with this coffeemaker.

Thanks again, everybody, for all your good info!

Marge

Go to www.overstock.com, they have the Capresso MT500 Plus for $161.00! I was torn between buying the Moccamaster CD and the Capresso, I ordered the Capresso yesterday.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Go to www.overstock.com, they have the Capresso MT500 Plus for $161.00!  I was torn between buying the Moccamaster CD and the Capresso, I ordered the Capresso yesterday.

Bob R in OKC

Thanks for the good info, Bob. I just read the reviews on this machine at Amazon and one review would have made it a deal-breaker for me:

"The first cup is good but the carafe isn't even an insulated one! Your coffee has gone cold within 20 minutes even after the hastle of running the hot water to preheat the carafe prior to making the coffee every morning. For $150 you think they'd at least provide an insulated carafe!!!"

Let us know if that critique is correct!

Marge

Yeah, I saw that ONE critique as well, but every other one that I read said that this machine retained heat well. I don't expect a caraffe to keep coffee hot for 4 hours! I drink it faster than that! I should get this new one next week, and I will report back. Meanwhile, check out this:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/mt500

The MT500 and the MT500Plus are the same machine except one is black and brushed metal and the Plus version is all brushed metal, specs are the same except the Plus is a little heavier. Performance is the same, supposedly.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I have had my Capresso MT-500 for over two years now, and I have not had any problems with the coffee going cold in the carafe. We generally finish off the carafe within an hour or two.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA