• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Odor permeability of buttercreams

arriba!

I know how readily buttercreams absorb odors and wondered if making buttercream while cooking pungent food(or really anything for that matter)is a bad idea in a home kitchen with barely there overhead exhaust? I can open windows for better ventilation if necessary but working on supper and buttercream just didn't seem like a good idea. Any opinions?

I don't think random cooking smells in the kitchen will meld with buttercream in my experience. I mean if you are smoking salmon or something yeah maybe pick another day to make your buttercream.

In the frige the smells will attack for sure.

Thanks K8. I learned the hard way about smells during refrigeration when I carelessly covered some of that heavenly PH lemon cream--not a buttercream, I know, but several bites were dEFINITELY off and I don't want to re-visit that horror!!