• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornbread for sandwiches

jende

Does anyone have a recipe for a cornbread-like bread with enough heft to slice and use for sandwiches? I'm dreaming of a pulled-pork sandwich on this kind of bread, but a typical cornbread recipe would be too crumbly.

If you do want to use real cornbread the key is to make it very thin (no more than an inch thick) and make it in a skillet, such that the crust is substantial and so keeps the whole thing from crumbling. Tomato and cornbread sandwiches are typically made this way.

Can you pee in the ocean?

A couple weeks ago I inadvertenly added too much flour to corn bread batter. I doubled everything else except the corn meal which I was out of at that point.

The bread came out quite tasty, but with more body and chew than normal corn bread. So I wonder if you used 1/3 corn meal, 2/3 flour and yeast-raised the dough that it might give you good results. Sort of making a regular bread but using part corn meal instead.

It also seems you could make a multi-grain bread with just corn meal added.

Bode

There are numerous cornmeal yeast bread recipes, including Anadama Bread, which use anywhere from 1/6 to 1/3 cornmeal in place of flour, and can be baked in standard loaf pans.

They don't have as much structure as regular bread, but toasting does help.

Thanks for the ideas. First I'm going to try a recipe that is more like a yeast bread but with a high ratio of cornmeal. If that's not "cornbready" enough, I'll try the very thin cornbread method. I'd just have to buy a cast iron skillet first!

You could do an open faced sandwich and eat it with a fork if that doesn't defeat the purpose somehow. Just a porky cornbread thought for yah.

Geez those cornbread sticks that look like ears of corn would actually be awesome jutting out like so many fat sunflower petals like served on a platter with the pulled pork piled high in the center. Now I'm making myself hungry and I just had my s-a-l-a-d.

You could do an open faced sandwich and eat it with a fork if that doesn't defeat the purpose somehow. Just a porky cornbread thought for yah.

Geez those cornbread sticks that look like ears of corn would actually be awesome jutting out like so many fat sunflower petals like served on a platter with the pulled pork piled high in the center. Now I'm making myself hungry and I just had my s-a-l-a-d.

You're killing me. Now I'm seriously craving pulled pork on cornbread, and I just ate half an hour ago!

I've been meaning to try this well-rated pulled pork recipe - not to hijack the thread, but any other good ones you know?

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

You're killing me. Now I'm seriously craving pulled pork on cornbread, and I just ate half an hour ago!

I've been meaning to try this well-rated pulled pork recipe - not to hijack the thread, but any other good ones you know?

Even I'M getting hungry now, and I ate (serioulsy) a pan of brownies for lunch (the egullet brownie bake-off is killing me).

I like the pulled pork recipe published in Esquire a couple months ago. It had a dry rub with paprika, brown sugar and a bunch of other spices I'm forgetting and apple juice in the roasting pan. All the sugar made it blacken like an SOB, but it was pork-licious.