• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cordial Campari

marty mccabe

I was given a bottle of it recently in Finland by an old campari bartender...

As you say its a raspberry 'cordial' 35% alcohol by volume and not even the great Italian bartender Salvatore Calabrese could remember a drink that it goes it... they stopped making it in the 1960s so I have been told.

Never opened it... gave it to Salvatore for his awesome Vintage Cabinet at Fifty London.

Will be watching this thread with great interest.

aw

• 2 months later...

As you say its a raspberry 'cordial' 35% alcohol by volume and not even the great Italian bartender Salvatore Calabrese could remember a drink that it goes it... they stopped making it in the 1960s so I have been told.

Never opened it... gave it to Salvatore for his awesome Vintage Cabinet at Fifty London.

aw

Found several bottles of this yesterday at an out-of-the-way store. They didn't look that old, but the store was loaded with vintage bottles. I know they were issued pre-1989 (no government warning) and likely pre-1980 (no UPC), but beyond that...? I didn't buy any, as I'd spent my budget for the day, but I'll be back.

Tim

• 1 year later...

On the way back from the airport yesterday, I got sidetracked and hit just about every mom n pop liquor store on the (admittedly meandering) route home on my perpetual quest for more Malacca and obscure bourbons.

There were many bottles of old-formula Campari to be had but I also saw 6-7 bottles of the Cordial Campari. I was curious, but not terribly tempted: at about $20 a pop, that's more than Havana Club blanco (Cuban, not Bacardi) goes for in these parts.

After once having had a liquor cabinet that sprawled over three rooms, I'm trying to keep the current incarnation to a reasonable level. Something about this spirit just seemed to say "dud." Am I wrong? Am I missing out by passing these over?

aw

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)