• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial Drive

D90

Commercial Drive

I don’t start for a couple week but it looks like I will be working in the Commercial Drive area, to be more specific near Commercial and first. I can already feel the lbs piling on after driving by and seeing all the places I can try for lunch. Any suggestion on where I should start?

Thanks

D90

Lombardo's

Riddim and Spice (Jamaican)

Harambe (Ethiopian)

Yogi's for vegetarian Indian

Stormin' Norman's for a mixed game burger

Falconetti's if you're in the mood for good sausages

Definitely Pondok Indonesian if you're willing to trek up to Commercial and 12th

There's also a new pizza place slated to open soon between 3rd and 4th... I think it's Urban Grain but I'm not sure.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Lombardo's

Riddim and Spice (Jamaican)

Harambe (Ethiopian)

Yogi's for vegetarian Indian

Stormin' Norman's for a mixed game burger

Falconetti's if you're in the mood for good sausages

Definitely Pondok Indonesian if you're willing to trek up to Commercial and 12th

There's also a new pizza place slated to open soon between 3rd and 4th... I think it's Urban Grain but I'm not sure.

New pizza place? I will have to check it out. Is it close to where the Waves coffee shop is being renovated?

Don't forget the sandwiches at La Grotta Del Formaggio.

New pizza place? I will have to check it out. Is it close to where the Waves coffee shop is being renovated?

Yup... 1/2 a block south, a couple of storefronts away from Prado Café.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Drop by Waazubee. I'm just in the process of updating the wine list (40 by the glass) and our cocktail list is getting a Spring update with mixologist Danny McPhee from Brown's in London. We have also hired a creative young chef, Ben Andrew, who just returned from a stage in Paris after working at Bin 942 and West his new menu should be up and running in three weeks.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Belgian Fries on the west side of the street-great greasy lunch and some of the oddest servers in the city :blink::huh:

Mediterranean Middle Eastern Specialty Food other side of the street-some tasty pastry triangles with all sorts of fillings, lentil, mushroom, cheese-and some seriously surly people running a rather odoriferous operation. :unsure:

La Grotta Del Formaggio, 1791 Commercial Drive (at 2nd), has great grilled sandwiches that are made to order. Basically take-out unless you can snag one of the three tables out front. Don't forget to pop into Fratelli Italian Bakery which is next door for a little something to get you through the day.

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

I second the suggestion of Pondok Indonesian. My wife and I go there regularly, the food is excellent, the staff are very friendly, and the prices are reasonable. I'm not sure if they have a special lunch menu as I've only been there for dinner.

Edited by Sylphid (log)

I second the suggestion of Pondok Indonesian.  My wife and I go there regularly, the food is excellent, the staff are very friendly, and the prices are reasonable.  I'm not sure if they have a special lunch menu as I've only been there for dinner.

That they do; dishes are quite reasonably priced.

There's also some decent Greek food at Bouzyos Greek Taverna.

And, if you decide to hang around The Drive at dinnertime, I suggest trying Café Kathmandu, directly adjacent to Pondok.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Tandoori Palace (across the street from Stormin' Norman's...or around there) for fantastic naans, curries and tandoori, of course! Tiny space, but they do have a tandoori oven.

Don't forget Stella's too!

Quentina

Yup... 1/2 a block south, a couple of storefronts away from Prado Café.

I tried the pizza at Urban Grain over the weekend. Their pizzas are multigrain, low carb pizzas. It is not a bad alternative to the cheap pizza places along the drive.

Uncle Fatihs pizza at 9th/Commercial is probably the best slice pizza around. Great pizza, and nice people running it.

4 Brothers Pizza on the drive serves mediocre pizza, and is extremely rude to people. My 8 yr old attempted to pay for a slice with $1.50 in change but had the pizza taken out of his hand because there were 10 pennies in the change. They do not accept more than 5 pennies per transaction. nice way to treat a 8 year old.

I attempted to discus this issue with the owner, and was called a homosexual, and told to fuck off.

Uncle Fatihs pizza at 9th/Commercial is probably the best slice pizza around.  Great pizza, and nice people running it. 

4 Brothers Pizza on the drive serves mediocre pizza, and is extremely rude to people.  My 8 yr old attempted to pay for a slice with $1.50 in change but had the pizza taken out of his hand because there were 10 pennies in the change.  They do not accept more than 5 pennies per transaction.  nice way to treat a 8 year old.

I attempted to discus this issue with the owner, and was called a homosexual, and told to fuck off.

What knobs. Unbelievable that this still happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Went to Carthage today for lunch and really liked it. Specializes in French and Tunisian. $9 gets you a great steak sandwich and frites, and $11 got me a big plate of Tunisian Chicken Ragout - it was perfrect for a chilly day. The stew had chicken breast and thigh along with kindey beans - warm spices of cinnamon and cumin. Bright fresh flavors.

gallery_25348_1380_9009.jpg

Only thing is the service was a little formal and stiff - if they relax a little - I think it would get a lot more business. Regardless - I am looking forward to checking out their other offerings.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Went to Carthage today for lunch and really liked it. Specializes in French and Tunisian.  $9 gets you a great steak sandwich and frites, and $11 got me a big plate of Tunisian Chicken Ragout - it was perfrect for a chilly day.  The stew had chicken breast and thigh along with kindey beans - warm spices of cinnamon and cumin.  Bright fresh flavors.

gallery_25348_1380_9009.jpg

Only thing is the service was a little formal and stiff - if they relax a little - I think it would get a lot more business.  Regardless - I am looking forward to checking out their other offerings.

I had some excellent Coquilles St. Jacques at Carthage a few weeks ago. Also a refereshing house salad and some minor league prawns. My friend was enthusiastic about the halibut he ordered. Pix are here http://www.seemrealland.blogspot.com/

I'm new to posting on eGullet and havent figured out how to post pix here or even in the profile.

C.

Little Nest is great for breaky and lunch. On Charles just east of Commercial. Fabulous rice pudding with different accents (candied quince is my fave).  Lots of kids, so if you don't like kid noise, don't go.

I walked by it - and its a really handsome space that accomodates kids in an intelligent, design friendly way.

Unfortunately - I don't like kid noise. Ha!

Yeah, lots of kid noise but isn't that the point? Kid friendly. Right time, right place and great food. Picture of the owner in the new edition of Eat Magazine as well.

slowfood/slowwine