• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where's Andrew going?

tofino

I know Andrew Springett is finishing up at the Wick, but wondered if anyone knew where he was off to next, or if he is just going to stay in the Tofino/Ucluelet area. I have sent out some feelers locally in that area, but no one seems to know for sure. Anyone know???

Well, I'm certainly not the person to be asking, because last I heard (I fell out of the loop some time ago), YOU were at the Wick yourself...clearly that is not the case or presumably you would simply walk to the kitchen and ask him yourself. So where did YOU end up?? :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Well as for me, we left the Wick in January 2006 and were in St. Lucia opening up a new resort there called Jade Mountain (recently featured in Caribbean Travel & Life as the 'Most Exciting new resort in the World), returned to Canadian soil in July, did a couple of small helping jobs at the Wick, but spent most of our time trying to purchase our own hotel in the central interior of BC, in a small town called Wells - too much paperwork, not supposed to happen.

Hence, a small 12 room backcountry lodge, called Mount Engadine Lodge, contacted us and after being flown here to see it, it was an automatic yes, great location, great owner, lots of plans for renovations and upgrades and yes, we will be incorporating our Wick service philosophies into a backcountry lodge - very happy to say the least and loving K-Country in Alberta.

With respect to Andrew, he had done his contract (3 years) and time for a change. It is incredibly difficult to be the executive chef at the Wick, for not only is it running the kitchen of a high profile restaurant, in a high profile property, but he is also on the senior management team which entails its own work and problems, plus Andrew was also active on the International scene with several groups. Agreed, he was amazing and the kitchen took a big step forward over the past couple of years, but I am happy for him, just trying to figure out where he is going, a rumour had him opening or assisting with someone in Whistler, but unable to confirm.

New chef is from Mission Hill, someone named Cuff (?sp), and apologize to him for not knowing his first name at this time, or even if I have his last name correct - but have heard great things from all who were involved in the hiring process at the Wick - should be neat to see what happens.

That would probably be Tim Cuff, nice guy, very talented had the chance to work with him at a couple wine related functions as well as at a few trade shows. another reason to pop over to Tofino.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Thought I'd kept the release on Andrew but, alas, did not.

If you don't find out in the next few days, and still want to

know, I can find out for you.

I have terrific memories of Mount Engadine Lodge. Stayed

there some years ago and remember waking up in the night

because of a big spotlight shining through the window. Looked

out and it was the biggest, brightest full moon I'd ever seen.

In the fields that stretch to the forest, I spotted what looked like

a wolf (seemed too large to be a coyote) trotting along in a glow

from the moon. A wow moment if ever there was one.

I also recall the people who ran the place (Dutch?) were very

friendly. Congrats on the opportunity. I may make another

trek out there just to see what you do with it. Good luck.

Thanks, it truly is a spectacular place and with the road we are on being 60km long, we are the only year round residents on the road. The original couple was Swiss-German and sold it almost 4 years ago to a gentleman from the Calgary area, and we arrived here in early December 2006. Lots of renovation plans, but still the amazing setting, views that take your breath away, and now we are inputting a little Wick style into the service category, hopefully make it a very special place. Let us know when you are heading this way!!

• 1 year later...

Pacific Provider:

Thank you for the update.

That is what I heard when out in Tofino in October but could not remember the name of the resort until I read your post.

Just flipped through their web-site. Looks quite interesting. Another place to visit when we are back out that way next Fall.

Will do.

Had the salmon on hand at lunch at the Wick during our visit. It too was delicious.

First, did not have to "plead" with the kitchen to undercook it and secondly, did not have that sharp ammonia like aftertaste that often has me deciding on something else when dining here in Alberta. I like my fish to taste like fish, but NOT like that.