• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In Search of Stock - From Montreal to NYC

Just moved to NYC from Montreal (I know everyone comes here from somewhere) and I am in search of homemade stocks - chicken, veal, and duck in particular, preferrably fresh not frozen and reasonably priced to make sauces etc. at home. As a point of reference if you have lived/been to Montreal, Maison du Roti sold stocks in medium sized prawn tubs (veal and duck) for $4.99 and chicken in large prawn tubs for $3.49 which reduced amazingly for sauces. Appreciate all and any suggestions....

Just moved to NYC from Montreal (I know everyone comes here from somewhere) and I am in search of homemade stocks - chicken, veal, and duck in particular, preferrably fresh not frozen and reasonably priced to make sauces etc. at home.  As a point of reference if you have lived/been to Montreal, Maison du Roti sold stocks in medium sized prawn tubs (veal and duck) for $4.99 and chicken in large prawn tubs for $3.49 which reduced amazingly for sauces.  Appreciate all and any suggestions....

Hmm. Define "homemade." Fairway, Zabar's, Citarella, and a few other stores (Wholefoods, perhaps) carry store-made stocks which are reasonably fresh. SOS Chefs probably has some nice products in that vein, but I imagine they're all frozen.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Rather than homemade, I should've probably defined it as cooking school 101 - a quality stock usually lists the ingredients of the stock on the container - which includes made from chicken bones, water, carrots, celery, etc. or veal bones, tomato paste etc. typically no salt added - basically what you learn in culinary school where you make huge pots of it on a near daily basis and then reduce it for sauces or further for demi-glace - only in this case you are paying a premium for someone else to do it for you.

Nothing in a can or juice-box container. I've had the ready-made soups at Whole Foods and they taste like water - which as a base means a flavorless stock for the most part so I would hesitate to buy their stuff. Usually a butcher shop makes these with their "left overs".

I'll give the ones you listed a try - thanks!

Dean & Deluca sells a variety of them in tubs ... but I think they're all frozen.  I believe some of them are from D'Artagnan...so you could stop there and see if some of them aren't frozen.

D'Artagnan freezes all its stock and (demi)glace products. Otherwise those would have made the top of my list, since the quality is superb.

Good call on Fresh Direct; they do have stocks. I've never tried them, myself.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

What's a prawn tub?

Plastic, clear containers with lids - I noticed a lot of prepared soups (like those at Whole Foods) sell them in "prawn tubs" which are so named, apparently, because that is what they used to sell shrimp in....a long, long time ago or so said my culinary arts teacher when I asked the exact same question on day 2 of cooking school....

To all - thank you so much for your suggestions. I currently have small prawn tubs of chicken and beef from Citarella and will be trying them tonight. Their website advertises that they do have veal stock, however the manager of the store in Greenwich Village pointed me to their "demi-glace" which contained flour among other kind of scary looking ingredients. I will forage on to 80th and 3rd next.....