• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cambie Street These Days

Sam Salmon

I'm not the sort who's lost for words very often however.....

Last Saturday aft took a trip over to Cambie to check out the stores & restaurants between Broadway & 20th to see how people were getting on with the RAV line construction.

This is the part where I'm not sure what to say. :unsure:

Food related businesses are hanging on but just-conditions on the street make access something of a challenge and shoppers were thin on the ground.

If you're at all concerned/remember some great places you've patronised in the past now is the time to go.

A few places are gone but many long time favourites remain and could use your custom.

Parking is available on some side streets as well as under Capers new store.

I've never spent much time on Cambie, but I've been meaning to try Figmint ever since they opened. But driving/parking conditions are generally so crummy that it's a bit of a deterrent....

I've never spent much time on Cambie, but I've been meaning to try Figmint ever since they opened.  But driving/parking conditions are generally so crummy that it's a bit of a deterrent....

We usually just park in the nearby mall and walk over.

Do check out Figmint. It's definitely worth the effort.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I try to head over to Shiro's for lunch at least once a week. With all of the fencing blocking any way of getting there from Cambie and the traffic control signs on 12th and 16th Ave, I have to go from Main street and navigate through the local traffic streets.

Last Saturday aft took a trip over to Cambie to check out the stores & restaurants between Broadway & 20th to see how people were getting on with the RAV line construction.

Sam! And you didn't come by and see me? :shock: I could have offered you a crappy cup of coffee ... and one of the few parking lots in the area!

Food related businesses are hanging on but just-conditions on the street make access something of a challenge and shoppers were thin on the ground.

The Valetor dry cleaners just closed up a couple weeks ago, but between 9th and 16th that's all I've seen close up. In fact, a new computer store opened up last week down at 13th. I'm sure they got a GREAT lease rate, but still, that's a pretty brave move.

A few places are gone but many long time favourites remain and could use your custom.

Who's closed that you noticed Sam? Other than a couple retail spots, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone.

I was at Shiro for lunch today ... checking up on Shiro-san's burned hand :unsure: Business has slowed a bit for them, but nobody's too worried. Even Arroy-D looks like it might be making a serious go of it in that revolving door location.

Parking is available on some side streets as well as under Capers new store.

You can also stop by the Canada Line office on 16th (east of Cambie) and get a map of all "official" parking spots.

A.

Thanks for the input Daddy et al.

My intention in posting this wasn't to start a chronicle of comings/goings/openings/shuttings but just to bring the area to people's attention.

With 300+ views I think we've accomplished that. :cool:

Thanks for the input Daddy et al.

My intention in posting this wasn't to start a chronicle of comings/goings/openings/shuttings but just to bring the area to people's attention.

With 300+ views I think we've accomplished that. :cool:

And good on ya Sam.

As someone who works in the area, I try my best to support the local businesses and encourage my co-workers to do the same. But the one thing that keeps coming back to me when I speak with other businesses in "Cambie Village" ... "Just wait until the Canada Line is open!" Some serious optimism here.

A.

As the President of the Yaletown Business Assoc., I also sit on a Commitee with the Canada Line.

It is my understanding that this a first for any large construction project. It is funded through Canada Line and it's purpose it to assist communicating about construction, traffic, delays, and assisting in community projects that bring together these neighbourhoods.

As Yaletown already had an organization, it was a little easier for us to get our act together and access these funds. They help with things like the Yaletown Summer Celebration and the ecurity around the station.

The Cambie Village area has a new organization and it was a little harder getting things going. They have put some effort into some events, and have more planned. I look for to some of the events that will get this area going again.

The cut and cover part goes fairly quickly, and with a little luck, things should be back together sooner than later. The Stations take a bit more time but lots of the work happens underground. The bridge over Mainland Street was just opened..........over half a year behind but it is open and helping with some of the traffic in Yaletown.

There certainly have been some hardships and it is always appreciated when people recognize that and put an effort in supporting business in those areas.

Has anyone been to Jack, the Modern Barbershop..........great place for a haircut............although I imagine Arne would not be doing any business there. :biggrin:

I still go to the liquor store, Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Chevron and Oakridge Mall.

I did my best to travel the route as often as I could so that I was up to date on the happenings in the route so I might have something to contribute to these meetings, but it has become harder and harder.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I still go to the liquor store, Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Chevron and Oakridge Mall.

Good to see the small local businesses being supported. :biggrin:

Rumour has it that Tomato may walk away from their Cambie location (lease expires at the end of May). They are geared up to open another Tomato Fresh Cafe in the old Mark's Taphouse spot on Broadway in early June.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Good to see the small local businesses being supported. :biggrin:

Rumour has it that Tomato may walk away from their Cambie location (lease expires at the end of May). They are geared up to open another Tomato Fresh Cafe in the old Mark's Taphouse spot on Broadway in early June.

we do what we can! :biggrin:

We also get take out from Wendy's on our liquor runs...............I am so ashamed.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Has anyone tried breakfast at Figmint? Their menu looks pretty tasty but I need to check if it's an everyday option or weekend menu:

http://www.figmintrestaurant.com/pdfs/menu_breakfast.pdf

I've been. Pretty sure it's a daily breakfast menu, although we had it on a Saturday. There's a brunch menu on Sundays.

My husband and I really enjoyed our breakfast - he had the beans on toast (served as 2 sunny side up eggs on top of very tasty baked beans on top of brioche toast.

I had the eggs benedict - nice ham, perfectly poached eggs (soft, just as I like 'em) and a very nice Hollandaise sauce, served with yummy potatoes.

Interesting tea selection, great coffee, great service.

Loved it and hope to return soon.

Greetings. We are headed to Vancouver this weekend and usually take the Marine View to Cambie Bridge into downtown. With the construction, is it better to head in via the main route (Granville bridge)? Want to avoid traffic/wait time as we are travelling with many little toddlers. Our destination is the Sheraton Wall Centre. Thank you.

-Moose

Greetings. We are headed to Vancouver this weekend and usually take the Marine View to Cambie Bridge into downtown. With the construction, is it better to head in via the main route (Granville bridge)?  Want to avoid traffic/wait time as we are travelling with many little toddlers. Our destination is the Sheraton Wall Centre. Thank you.

-Moose

Yup ... Granville will be slow, but a much better alternative ... unless of course you're interested in what the world looks like 50 feet beneath Cambie Street :smile:

A.

Has anyone tried breakfast at Figmint? Their menu looks pretty tasty but I need to check if it's an everyday option or weekend menu:

http://www.figmintrestaurant.com/pdfs/menu_breakfast.pdf

I've been. Pretty sure it's a daily breakfast menu, although we had it on a Saturday. There's a brunch menu on Sundays.

My husband and I really enjoyed our breakfast - he had the beans on toast (served as 2 sunny side up eggs on top of very tasty baked beans on top of brioche toast.

I had the eggs benedict - nice ham, perfectly poached eggs (soft, just as I like 'em) and a very nice Hollandaise sauce, served with yummy potatoes.

Interesting tea selection, great coffee, great service.

Loved it and hope to return soon.

Thanks for sharing your experience -- I hope to indulge sometime next week.

Greetings. We are headed to Vancouver this weekend and usually take the Marine View to Cambie Bridge into downtown. With the construction, is it better to head in via the main route (Granville bridge)?  Want to avoid traffic/wait time as we are travelling with many little toddlers. Our destination is the Sheraton Wall Centre. Thank you.

-Moose

Yup ... Granville will be slow, but a much better alternative ... unless of course you're interested in what the world looks like 50 feet beneath Cambie Street :smile:

A.

Thank you Daddy-A. The Granville traffic was better than expected, not bad. Had some bad food, but enjoyed dim sum at Kirin (Alberni) and some good delivery from Hon's (beef chow fun and fish congee for the babies). They really know how to do delivery well, everything was perfectly packed with tight fitting lids, outer plastic bag twist tied so nothing leaked out. I love it that you can get almost any meal delivered in Vancouver. Finished off the trip with some Mondo Gelato and a smokie on Robson. Kids enjoyed the Stanley Park mini train and the Kids Market at Granville Island. Also picked up many boxes of Barilla bread sticks and Tylenol with Codeine from Urban Fare. The 1:1 Can$ ratio was a shocker! -Moose

The 1:1 Can$ ratio was a shocker!  -Moose

Always best to use your credit card, your bank will convert at a much more reasonable rate than individual merchants, currently our restaurant is giving 5%, which given the "posted exchange rates" of 12% is pretty fair.

Banks and Government Liquor stores will offer better rates. Still 1:1 seems a bit lame, except for at the smokie cart.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

• 1 month later...

In light of the private member's bill on relief for Cambie Street businesses being introduced today....

Don Don Noodle is closing down.

Tomato Cafe is re-opening on June 1 in Kits (I went by today, there is still a lot of construction going on in there).

This is very sad indeed. :sad:

Despite all the advertising that "Cambie is Open" it's pretty hard to convince your friends to spend 30 minutes trying to:

A. Find a way to drive across Cambie and Park by the restaurant of choice

B. Park on the other side and find a way navigate the gigantic hole to get to the other side.

I originally thought it wouldn't be too hard to find my way across Cambie but areas like Oak street were also closed in such a way that it was nearly impossible to get to certain parts of Cambie without driving up to 15 blocks out of the way and then looping back.

I know I had an experience with some friends a few weeks back and it was hard to convince them to come back.

I'm hoping they build in some more crossing areas to make it easier to access businesses off Cambie.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I see that as of Sunday (or Saturday) that Tomato Fresh Cafe has closed for good. They are, of course, opening a new place in the old Mark James restaurant off of Broadway so this is more an opportunity for them than the fault of Cambie construction.

Vancouverites are whimps... :biggrin: jump in a cab if you can't find parking. Try living in London where you get charged for driving in congested zones to get to your favourite restaurant. The Canada Line is great for the city;wake up and see the light. The whole Tomato Cafe thing is just media pandering. They will do a great business in their new location with a better demographic.

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

A. Find a way to drive across Cambie and Park by the restaurant of choice

B. Park on the other side and find a way navigate the gigantic hole to get to the other side.

I originally thought it wouldn't be too hard to find my way across Cambie but areas like Oak street were also closed in such a way that it was nearly impossible to get to certain parts of Cambie without driving up to 15 blocks out of the way and then looping back. 

I know I had an experience with some friends a few weeks back and it was hard to convince them to come back.

I'm hoping they build in some more crossing areas to make it easier to access businesses off Cambie.

Oh boo hoo! I had to walk a few blocks to get to my restaurant and now my feet are sore! Boo hoo!

Excuse the sarcasm Wes, but that's a wimpy excuse. Fact is, there's just as much parking around Cambie as there was before. You could NEVER get street parking in the evning, so the side streets were all you had anyway.

Best solution is to drive up Yukon, and park as close to where you want to go as possible. Or better yet, do like Stephen said and take a cab.

As fas as the crossings go ... what you see is all you;re gonna get. I work at 14th & Cambie, and have to walk to either 12th or 16th to cross. Yeah, that extra 4 minutes of walking is a real deterent.

Don't blame the RAV line for these businesses going under. It's people who won't endure a little hardship to support the businesses that bear a lot of the blame. If it bothers you that some places are closing, support them!

They will do a great business in their new location with a better demographic.

I have to side with seanw on this ... better demographic? Really Stephen? :hmmm:

A.