• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would you want to hear?

Dave Weinstein

A few years ago, I went to a well known fine dining restaurant with some friends and colleagues, and had an absolutely astounding meal, easily worth the money.

Within the last year, I was back in the same city, and we decided to go back to the restaurant (since our respective spouses were also with us this time).

The highs were as good as the first time, but the food in general, while good, wasn't what I'd consider worth the prices they charge this time around. Nothing where a dish should have been sent back, just good not mind-blowingly good. Nonetheless, service was acceptable but not stellar (there were some very long waits between courses), and we tipped well and departed.

So, the question is, if you were the restaurant in question, would you want to hear "The first time I dined there, it was an experience, the second time the food, while good, didn't justify the price to me"?

(The city and restaurant have been deliberately omitted, and the time frame deliberately left vague)

Yeah, i would drop them a line detailing what it was in particular that you felt had declined although if your only complaint was on price rises i'm not sure theyd be too concerned

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Unless one was able to offer solid constructive criticism, my experience is that they don't really want to hear and even then I'm not so sure that most places really want to hear, though they should. One problem is that so much more goes into the perception and reception of a meal than the food itself. A lot depends on the frame of mind and physical state of a diner at any given meal, that it is hard pinpoint anything based upon what you presented. If dishes were demonstrably over or undercooked or presented sloppily that might be something they would want to know, but probably not an individual gestalt.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I always want to know when things aren't up to my guests' expectations. I especially appreciate when the feedback is specific, so I can work to remedy the situation. In this case, perhaps a sincere, honest note to the management would be helpful. If it's not appreciated, then that may explain why things aren't up to par.

If it's a restaurant that considers its reputation to be important, I'm sure they'd like any constructive feedback that might be offered, so long as you couch it in terms of "I'm not looking for anything, I just thought you should know that on my last visit I perceived a downturn in the quality/service/etc., and because I was so blown away the first time, and I respect the reputation you have earned, that you should know what I noticed on this visit." Let them do what they will with your comments, but if you care about the place, pass them on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

You can't make anything constructive out of criticism if you don't know why you're being criticized.

Without going into some semi-detailed explaination, whatever you would have to say would be totally disregarded.

You can't make anything constructive out of criticism if you don't know why you're being criticized.

Without going into some semi-detailed explaination, whatever you would have to say would be totally disregarded.

That's part of the problem. Nothing was bad. The only thing I could point to with specificity was the sometimes lengthy time between courses, but if the food had been up to the previous standards (amazing, instead of merely good), I wouldn't have cared.

The problem was, at the prices the restaurant charges, good isn't enough. I just don't know how "last time was an experience, this time was a meal" can be used constructively.

If it is an isolated response, it is easy for them to discount though they should still listen and be happy to get the feedback. The reason for that is that if they get that kind of feedback with some consistency it becomes less easy to discount and perhaps more valuable since maybe they can recognize a problem before people start simply not coming to the restaurant anymore.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the value of the information. Let me illustrate with an anecdote: I was at a "well known fine dining restaurant" a few years ago and had a similar "can't quite put my finger on why" disappointing experience. It just seemed like absolutely everything was one notch lower than it should have been. I wasn't going to mention anything, because I didn't really have much to say, but then I got an email from a manager saying, "How was your meal?" And so I replied that it was good but not great, that something felt off. And then I heard back that it had been a disastrous day at the restaurant: several call-outs, screwed-up deliveries, the steam system malfunctioned (therefore the steam-jacket kettles, aka giant stockpots, weren't working), the wrong bread delivered, etc. And the reason the manager had asked me how my meal was is that she wanted to know if customers had noticed. So that information -- that I had noticed something -- turned out to be valuable to her in the performance of her job. Which means I should have offered it up unprompted, because how often is a manager going to email you to ask for that kind of information?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've written an email describing the situation to the restaurant, and stressing that I'm not looking to get something out of this. I hope it is helpful to them, as the first meal I ate there is still one of the finest meals I have ever had.

Unless one was able to offer solid constructive criticism, my experience is that they don't really want to hear and even then I'm not so sure that most places really want to hear, though they should. One problem is that so much more goes into the perception and reception of a meal than the food itself. A lot depends on the frame of mind and physical state of a diner at any given meal, that it is hard pinpoint anything based upon what you presented. If dishes were demonstrably over or undercooked or presented sloppily that might be something they would want to know, but probably not an individual gestalt.

This surprises me. I haven't found this to be the case, however, I am sure it exists, and yet, it still surprises me. I think those people, who really "don't want to hear", they perhaps have their own mindset and "way of being" going on that is superceding the client. The interesting point is that it's not about "them" -- it's about the "client" or "customer". Owners who turn deaf ears to clients have, or will have, much larger issues to deal with.

As an owner, I would want to know about all of the criticism -- valid or not. I may decide after hearing, if there is nothing really specific, and it was more intangible, generic, etc. items, then and perhaps only then I could label it as valid or not valid. Even then, I run the risk of not embarcing the critisicm and dismissing it, thus turning deaf ears to the client.

Sure, maybe the client had a bad day. Maybe they were a bit "off" or something. But as an owner, I want to know. I have found that information is a very valuable commodity.

Eric

If it is an isolated response, it is easy for them to discount though they should still listen and be happy to get the feedback. The reason for that is that if they get that kind of feedback with some consistency it becomes less easy to discount and perhaps more valuable since maybe they can recognize a problem before people start simply not coming to the restaurant anymore.

As a chef I need to hear any comment about my food or even my presentations. If no one tells me how do I know my palate or my eye is off? Of course if you hear some randomn comment about your food that's one thing but if you keep hearing a consistently negative comment obviously something is up.

Edited by The Muther Shucker (log)

"Dio non ha creato che l'aqua... l'uomo ha fatto il vino

-God created the water...man made the wine.

The last few comments are reassuring as that is indeed how it should be. I have known some chefs who are very defensive and of course there is the "they just don't get it" response. The problem is hearing that a couple of times could turn someone off from offering criticism. At this point I tend to give constructively offered criticism if I know the chef and have an idea how that chef will deal with it, the meal is a marked negative departure from previous experience or if asked. I don't offer praise if I don't feel it is warranted as I believe that sends the wrong message.

Twitter - @docsconz