• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Bread in NYC

Rail Paul

Addeo is my Arthur Ave. favorite-good semolina bread,more simple,basic Southern Italian stuff than the others.In Manhattan,Sullivan St. Bakery and Balthazar are my favorites-the crust on the Sullivan St. loaves is great,and the various focaccia,especially schiaciatta,cherry tomato,and carcioffa are wonderful.The walnut loaf from Balthazar is great served with some good cheeses.Blue Ribbon Bakery turns out some nice plain loaves of bread sometimes...And I miss Zito[not the same anymore],D & G,and Zampieris' on Sullivan St.,which made great,greasy slabs of onion focaccia,and anise biscuits, which perfumed my apartment in the wee hours of the morning as they baked...

You've been in the neighborhood quite a while. I've almost forgotten about those onion focaccias. Sullivan Street Bakery makes nice biscotti.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

What's the name of that old light green painted aging Italian bread bakery that never seems to be open between W Bwy and Sullivan (Vesuvio's?), I think on Spring? Are they run by the mob, or do they actually serve bread?

Not to be too much of a bread snob freak, but Amy's ought to be ashamed of itself for using those golden raisins. They're a truly repulsive food product. I eat and enjoy the bread but wish they'd make it with real raisins.

As for the Arthur Avenue bakeries, I'd categorize their bread as acceptable to good, but certainly not the stuff I'd bring to the big New York versus London showdown.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What's the name of that old light green painted aging Italian bread bakery that never seems to be open between W Bwy and Sullivan (Vesuvio's?), I think on Spring?  Are they run by the mob, or do they actually serve bread?

Vesuvio sells bread. It's on Prince Street between West Broadway and Thompson Street. It's decent bread, but no match for the new boys in town. I haven't been in there in a while. The bread sticks and pepper biscuits were good. Tony Dapolito was very active in the local community board for many years. I believe he was chairman at one time, and always a staunch member of the community who was as approachable by those who were moving into SoHo when it was still industrial, as he was by the older South Village community.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I wonder where Pret a Manger are sourcing their baguettes?  I just ate one and it was excellent - fresh, crunchy crust.  Reminded me of Pain Quotidien, but that's not as good as a side by side tasting (there's an idea).

See ?? Even Pret a Manger has better bread in New York than in London, where it started !! Here it has the texture of cotton wool and even less flavor ! !!

Their sliced bread here is sometimes a little dried out, if that's any consolation.

I am trying to remember what bread I used to like when I lived in London. I certainly used to buy from Randall and Aubin in Soho, before it became a poseur-version of seafood stall. The olive oil loaves from nearby Lina Stores were very good too.

Their sliced bread here is sometimes a little dried out, if that's any consolation.

I am trying to remember what bread I used to like when I lived in London.  I certainly used to buy from Randall and Aubin in Soho, before it became a poseur-version of seafood stall.  The olive oil loaves from nearby Lina Stores were very good too.

You know, I'm so one-track minded when I go to Linas - its ravioli, ravioli, ravioli - that I haven't even considered buying bread. Why not?! Thanks for the tip.

In regards to Amy's bread

All the bread is baked in the chelsea market kitchen,sweets are baked at the 9th ave location

and Im not sure if they still do but when i worked there they baked some of the bread for Pain Quotidien........

thebaker ...

if you're comfortable discussing the process (and aren't legally encumbered), do the various restaurant customers receive the same bread as Pain Q gets? Are there variations specified by the various customers? I've noticed the bakers at Chelsea Market refer to work sheets quite often, so I assumed there are special preparations.

When I was there the bread for Pain Q was there formula they provided

sold only under contract with them and to them only.

restaurant customers can by the Pain Q bread only from Pain Q.

all customers buying Amy's bread get the same breads. (Amy's only)

The sheets they are looking at are for how many of each kind to make of what bread,

the mixing is done in the room that is behind the storefront, not very visable from the outside

the room you are looking at is the "shapeing room" where the doughs are made into whatever shape is called for on the sheets.

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

I use to live in Bklyn and for my money Royal Crown on 14th Ave and 66th street always had the best Italian bread and olive bread.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.