• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

Well worth including Hisop. It's nearly two years since I was there, but my brother and his family were there about a month ago and were hugely impressed... and, the prices haven't changed since I'd been. Be sure to have the wine pairing if you go... just 12 euro, unbelievable value.

They were also incredibly accommodating with the children; made them a special non-alcoholic cocktail and replaced a few of the dishes.

Brett, Rafa Peña and his restaurant, Gresca have received good press. He was one of the first speakers at this year's Madrid Fusion, with a presentation/demo on Bistronomics. I have not eaten there personally, so I can not give a direct recommendation.

I'm jealous. Have fun on your trip and best wishes with the restaurant!

Of Abac, Alkimia, Hisop, Sauc, Ot, and Gresca, does anyone have an opinion which is best and not to be missed? How do they differ from one another?

Brett Emerson

My food blog: In Praise of Sardines

• 3 weeks later...

So, my trip is over and I had disastrous (Can Fabes), dissappointing (Comerc24), very good (Rias de Galicia), excellent (Gresa) and one outstanding/mind-blowingmeal (Can Roca) around Barcelona.

I have hust finished the Comerc24 review and though it all looks good nothing really thrilled us or evoked any passion. Maybe we were too tired but it is so easy to wake me up with good food...

More to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my Gresca review and have to say it was even fun reviewing and writing about this meal. Service was warm and welcoming, dishes ranged between excellent to outstanding and good. Overall I would give them 17 GM points and one star+ but that's nothing Rafael and Mireisa are after.

It is a definite must in Barcelona, the price-quality ratio is the best I have encountered so far. Just go and experience yourself!

Sunlight Dancing * Alkimia * Barcelona

What an array of dancing sunbeams is Alkimia, Chef Jordi Vilà’s Michelin One-Star in the Eixample, not so far physically – or conceptually, perhaps – from Gaudi’s La Sagrada Familia. Here is a stylish restaurant in which taste and texture are always central. The restaurant would broadly be placed within the canons of the new Spanish cuisine, but without straining the boundaries of the pleasures of taste. Combinations are newly inspired, but serve their own gustatory ends. Not only was the restaurant airy, but the food was as well. Perhaps not spectacular in its limits of adding those extra, luxe touches of cuisine, the lunch (a tasting menu) was unfailingly delightful.

2915707275_1abbf99b23.jpg

I began with a simple but memorable shot of tomato water with bread crumbs on top and a slice of fuet covering the glass. These simple ingredients provided a happy start in a restaurant that respects its food.

2915707541_5a301a9ce3.jpg

This amuse was followed by a lovely and bright compilation of Zucchini flowers, tomato, quinoa, olive oil, and gorgonzola ice cream. These carefully calibrated tastes were effectively and beautifully combined in a small glass in which each taste worked in tandem.

2916553286_da23c261a6.jpg

The most astonishing dish of the afternoon – still on my tongue after several weeks – is a composition (the proper term for so many of Chef Vila’s creations) of watermelon, smoked salmon, blanched almonds, with ajo blanco (white, garlicky gazpacho). Despite the seemingly odd mixture, each bite was a triumph of flavors that matched salty to herbal to sweet.

2915707949_b2b208057d.jpg

Chicken Cannelloni with almond béchamel and an apple and radish salad was another dish that was stirringly composed. I found it less compelling that the previous plates – less savory perhaps, but I did admire the stylish side salad on the plate.

2915708155_f42396037f.jpg

Red Mullet (snapper) with tomatoes, peaches, and almonds was confident and, again, beautifully composed. Perhaps it was slightly salty, but the accompaniments were delightful reminders of late summer. Here is a chef deeply and confidently in debt to modern cuisine.

2915708389_34f027599c.jpg

Two desserts concluded the lunch: the first was a riff on a traditional Catalan dessert: pastry with lemon sauce, vanilla ice cream and coffee cream. The second, the better of the two, was a fruit compote with melon, lychees, ginger water, plum cake, and lemon ice cream. An outdoor dessert served indoors. This dessert – not heavy a bit – almost floated away.

2915708625_a37078e55b.jpg

2915708797_edd8e27355.jpg

And like the dessert, I floated. In most cities, this meal would have catapulted the restaurant into the local heavens. The fact that this was Barcelona! means that Alkimia is part of the culinary chorus.

Alkimia

Industria 79 (Eixample)

Barcelona

93/207-6115

Vealcheeks

• 4 weeks later...

Just ate at "Gresca" last week. Nice meal with several highlights. One problem though, they allow smoking and it is rather a small place thus ruining part of the culinary experience.

I have pics but I cannot upload them.

l

Completely forgot to file a link to my blog post on Gresca</a>, so apologies:

http://aidanbrooks.blogspot.com/2008/10/gr...-of-dinner.html

As I said earlier, Gresca is a really great place to eat for good produce, excellent execution of dishes and a good balance between more traditional Catalan cooking and more experimental. Especially good value for money, as one of the new "bistronomic" eateries in town:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/travel/06journeys.html

Perhaps it's rather more for the younger set than for older, more conservative diners.

• 2 months later...

I ate at many restaurants in and around Barcelona during the last 10 days. I had a great time, as usual.

One of the restaurants, a relative newcomer, was “Fonda Gaig” and it was a great experience. For anyone who has never experienced Catalan cuisine, “Fonda Gaig” is a must-visit. Now, it is a no frills cuisine – a home cooking type of experience; Catalan ‘soul food’ if you will. I think the whole menu clearly encompasses the culinary DNA of Catalans. Among the outstanding dishes, “Tebi de pop amb millfulls de patata i mongetes” (Octopus with mongetes)

gallery_47955_6399_213600.jpg

and the classic “Macarrons del Cardenal,” typical Catalan fare but very good.

gallery_47955_6399_80434.jpg

We ended with “Trinxat de la Cerdanya,” (Amazing dish, I have a pic but it is blurry, but the cansalada was huge) “Vedella estofada” (Beef stew with Mushrooms). Once again, this restaurant is highly recommended if you want to try the fundamentals of Catalan cuisine.

I also had another great meal at “Gresca.” This is my favorite bistronòmic in Barcelona. We had several dishes. A new one for me was the “Carpaccio de pop amb butifarra negra” that Mireia, a great hostess, highly recommended. It was the octopus layered amid the butifarra and mounted on a mousseline of potatoes. Very good.

gallery_47955_6399_60259.jpg

I visited Tapaç24, where I had a great “Escudella” and Chipirones. “Tapaç24” and “Paco Meralgo” are among my favorite tapas places in Barcelona, along with “Pinotxo” and “quimet”

gallery_47955_6399_84764.jpg

One night, after dinner, we visited “Moo” and we had desserts there. Truly spectacular, the ‘Trip to Havana’ is, in my opinion, one of the top desserts in Barcelona. There was also a fig and chocolate concoction that was incredible.

Overall, this trip represented another great gastronomical tour. A few disappointments, but that is the way it goes. In less than a month I have eaten in Chicago, San Francisco, New York and now Barcelona. Time to give the liver a rest…until next week.

I went to many restaurants but I only posted only about the ones that I enjoyed. I will also post a few comments in the Manairó and L’Angle threads separately (I visited both of these exceptional restaurants again during this trip). I still have not visited “Dos Cielos” but the buzz is getting stronger. Anyone?

Questions? Ask

Lenski

I ate at many restaurants in and around Barcelona during the last 10 days.  I had a great time, as usual. 

One of the restaurants, a relative newcomer, was “Fonda Gaig” and it was a great experience. For anyone who has never experienced Catalan cuisine, “Fonda Gaig” is a must-visit.  Now, it is a no frills cuisine – a home cooking type of experience; Catalan ‘soul food’ if you will.  I think the whole menu clearly encompasses the culinary DNA of Catalans. Among the outstanding dishes, “Tebi de pop amb millfulls de patata i mongetes” (Octopus with mongetes)

gallery_47955_6399_213600.jpg

and the classic “Macarrons del Cardenal,” typical Catalan fare but very good.

gallery_47955_6399_80434.jpg

We ended with “Trinxat de la Cerdanya,” (Amazing dish, I have a pic but it is blurry, but the cansalada was huge) “Vedella estofada” (Beef stew with Mushrooms). Once again, this restaurant is highly recommended if you want to try the fundamentals of Catalan cuisine.

I also had another great meal at “Gresca.” This is my favorite bistronòmic in Barcelona.  We had several dishes.  A new one for me was the “Carpaccio de pop amb butifarra negra” that Mireia, a great hostess, highly recommended.  It was the octopus layered amid the butifarra and mounted on a mousseline of potatoes.  Very good.

gallery_47955_6399_60259.jpg

I visited Tapaç24, where I had a great “Escudella” and Chipirones. “Tapaç24” and “Paco Meralgo” are among my favorite tapas places in Barcelona, along with “Pinotxo” and “quimet”

gallery_47955_6399_84764.jpg

One night, after dinner, we visited “Moo” and we had desserts there.  Truly spectacular, the ‘Trip to Havana’ is, in my opinion, one of the top desserts in Barcelona.  There was also a fig and chocolate concoction that was incredible.

Overall, this trip represented another great gastronomical tour. A few disappointments, but that is the way it goes. In less than a month I have eaten in Chicago, San Francisco, New York and now Barcelona.  Time to give the liver a rest…until next week.

I went to many restaurants but I only posted only about the ones that I enjoyed. I will also post a few comments in the Manairó and L’Angle threads separately (I visited both of these exceptional restaurants again during this trip). I still have not visited “Dos Cielos” but the buzz is getting stronger.  Anyone?

Questions? Ask

Lenski

Is Fonda Gaig a product of Carles Gaig?

You live a very good life, my friend. :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

We're going to be in Barcelona for a few days and will be eating dinner at the following restaurants:

Dos Palillos

Paco Meralgo

Rias de Galicia

Hisop

Comerc24

Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of attire would be appropriate for men and women at these restaurants? We're just trying to figure out what to pack.

Thanks!

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

We're going to be in Barcelona for a few days and will be eating dinner at the following restaurants:

Dos Palillos

Paco Meralgo

Rias de Galicia

Hisop

Comerc24

Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of attire would be appropriate for men and women at these restaurants?  We're just trying to figure out what to pack.

Thanks!

Mostly casual and smart casual. No jacket required or advised for men at any of them.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but last time I visited Barcelona I had a great meal at La Flauta. Amazingly friendly staff, food very well cooked and fresh. It is a tapas restaurant. I remember that there was a line with people waiting to pick up food to take away, extending all the way out to the street! The restaurant at the back was buzzing. Prices were great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, we have eaten at Gaig, Cinc Sentits, Hisop, Alkimia, Commerc 24 before but are expecting a new arrival and I just wondered if people knew how it was dining out with a baby, say around nine months old? I know that Barcelona is pretty baby friendly in general but am keen to try Gresca, Embat and Sauc and probably to return to Cinc Sentitis and Hisop but with baby in tow..

Thanks for your help.My Webpage curious-eater.

Edited by curiouseater (log)

hello, we have eaten at Gaig, Cinc Sentits, Hisop, Alkimia, Commerc 24 before but are expecting a new arrival and I just wondered if people knew how it was dining out with a baby, say around nine months old? I know that Barcelona is pretty baby friendly in general but am keen to try Gresca, Embat and Sauc and probably to return to Cinc Sentitis and Hisop but with baby in tow..

Thanks for your help.My Webpage curious-eater.

I'm not saying that it is impossible, but it is difficult to enjoy a fine dining meal at restaurants such as you mentioned with a 9m/o baby in tow no matter how accommodating the restaurant may be. That is not even taking into account the effects a 9m/o may have on others. Of course, you know your baby and yourselves, so your mileage may vary :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I will be a little blunt. Barcelona might be baby-friendly, but I do not think a nine-month baby would be welcome in the restaurants that you mention. First, I think that you will not enjoy your meal as you should and, secondly, if I am sitting in the restaurant the mere presence of a baby already (fill in the blank and preposition, multiple possibilities) my experience. You will get tons of devil eyes.

And in Barcelona--and I think Europe, in general--good restaurants are for adults only, nothing ruins a meal faster than a baby behaving like a baby. Not his fault.

Besides, Gresca and Saüc are smoker-friendly...

Sorry, and I am glad that you ask, but customers and restaurant people really dislike babies in good restaurants and with good reason. I, honestly, find parents who take babies to good restaurants extremely selfish. Something's got to give, the baby or the good food.

Scrooge

We were in Barcelona for the last week.

We ate dinner at Cinc Sentis, Fondo Gaig, Colibri, Dos Palillos, Routa, Inopia and Moo.

I happen to look at egullet one day we were their and saw the post asking about Routa. We went to their website, were impressed and gave it a try.

This is to report on Routa.

Summary, two young Finns, doing very composed modern Nordic Cuisine in a small place in Barcelona. Food was very well done, some may think that some dishes need editing but all proteins were spot on. The room was simple and lacks some of the more comfort elements found at Cinc, Colibri or other similar places but was more than comfortable for us to enjoy a dynamic and thoughtfully prepared meal.

I wish them success because I really like what they are trying to accomplish. It may be difficult for them to make it in such a food centric city but their flavors and pairing are unique amongst the food we have eaten on our visits to Spain and it well warrants a visit.

>

Normally, my wife does not let me take pictures of dinner but she did tonight, too bad these are cell images. We chose the Menu Routa ® and the Degustation (D) menu. The latter had two more dishes and none of them except one dessert was the same between the two meals.

Amuse: oyster croquetta, roe with egg salad and caesar salad spoon

>

Snack: Herring with beet and horseradish foam

a>

Bread service: does not show but there was an olive oil sphere in the oil dish

>

First course: Salad(D) and Salmon®

>

>

Second: Sweet bread (D), Rabbit ®-similar plating but with different proteins and some different items as well

>

a>

Third: Lamb (D) and sole ®

>

>

Snowball (D)

>

Predessert: creme catalan (D and R)

>

Dessert: Fruit Salad (two platings)

>

>

Dessert 2: soft chocolate (D)

>

There were so many elements and combinations in each plating that it is hard to comprehend this coming from such a small kitchen with little help for the two chefs.

There were many flavors (like the popcorn ice cream included with the dessert fruit salad and techniques (soft chocolate) I have seen at places like Fat Duck and el Bulli, but the chefs did use some restraint on the molecular elements in order to focus on the quality of the ingredients and flavors. The only negative would be that some may find the number of elements in each dish overwhelming. However, I can appreciate that they were trying to include various textures, temperature, flavors and taste elements in every dish and are still young enough to learn restaint and editing when needed.

I hope others will try soon since on a Saturday night, we were one of three tables seated.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont mean to be lazy, but i promise i have done some research :laugh:

Basically, I'll be embarking on a journey to spain, starting in SS(Arzak, mugaritz), on to Roses(bulli), and back to Barcelona

I have one evening and one full day in barcelona, and Ive been checking up on what places are worth visiting. I basically want somewhere somewhat casual and fairly inexpensive after 3 really heavy meals(wallet-wise), something in the 60-ish euro range. restaurants like abac are out of the question

Right now Im leaning towards Comerç 24, or Cinc Sentits. More towards Cinc Sentits because Im not sure if we can stomach more chemicals after el bulli. Are there any other restaurants I should be looking at?

Also, is the sandwich at cafe vienna worth the trip? Or should I just head straight to jamonisimo.