• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

We're renting an apartment so we can COOK occasionally! It drives me mad staying in hotels all the time because great food markets just become a source of frustration - what can you do with all that stuff?

We rented an apartment as well, bringing a good sauté pan, two knives, a collection of basic spices, S&P, and an apron. We bought olive oil immediately and then shopped at the markets most days for dinner. It was a smashing success (save for one shrimp). I wrote a bit about it here.

Sounds like a great adventure but really drives home how hard I'm going to have to work in the next 2 weeks on my Spanish! I wonder, do most of the market people speak Catalan or do they understand Castillian?

Everyone in the markets understands Catalan, Castillian, and Castalglish. In some situations, however, trying to use the latter two gets you a furrowed brow. For the most part, expressing appreciation in any language is received well, with the possible exception of the Boqueria produce stall operators, who truthfully must tire of annoying tourists like me.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

If you like mushrooms you must go to the Petras stall at the rear of the Boqueria near Pazzta 920.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

John made a mistake. He meant to write, "If you like food, life, and all that is sublime in the world, you must go to the Petras stall at the rear of the Boqueria near Pazzta 920." Bring a stack of cash, patience, and no plans for dinner save these.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

If you like mushrooms you must go to the Petras stall at the rear of the Boqueria near Pazzta 920.

Indeed, Llorenç Petras is the man to go to if mushrooms is what you're looking for. Bear in mind though that he's only open till about 1:30-2pm.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Indeed, Llorenç Petras is the man to go to if mushrooms is what you're looking for. Bear in mind though that he's only open till about 1:30-2pm.

Great, thanks. I'll get there early.

But what I'm really interested in is the simple places, not so much the mod foamy, molecular gastronomy-type places. I've noted the excellent suggestion for the bar at the market - sounds just right - and any other places like this I'd love to hear about.

For me the best place in town these days is Inopia. Sure, one of the co-owners is Albert Adrià, the pastry chef of El Bulli and brother of Ferran, but overall it is pure bar del barrio. Fabulous cooking, very comfortable. It's in Poble Sec, not far from Quimet & Quimet and just down the block from Casa Lucio (both stand up choices). Inopia is perfect for either for a drink and a plate of their patatas bravas (very smoky and deep tomato-flavor to the sauce) or La pulga de Inopia (a small piece of toasted bread topped with salt cod, tomato comfit, and olivada) before heading out to dinner, or a whole meal here made from similar pickings. Moritz beer is on tap plus a decent selection of wines, cavas. They don't open until 7 p.m. and if you want a stool go soon after.

Inopia

Tamarit, 104

Barcelona

34/934.24.52.31

www.barinopia.com

Edited by Jeff Koehler (log)

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have made a bit of an impulse decision and booked a long weekend (saturday to tuesday) in Barcelona this coming weekend. I have always wanted to go and have heard so much, but now i have the difficult decision of where to eat!!

I know that Barcelona is meant to be a very exciting city to eat in, and would like to try some places that really give me a feeling for the city.

I'll be staying centrally (Pulitzer Hotel if that helps) and while I'm not on a limitless budget by any means, I am willing to pay for good food.

Any advice would be most gratefully received,

Cheers

Daniel

There are several threads on the topic with many, many ideas. Check Here

There are many "not-too-expensive" new Catalan cuisine options:

Sauc

Cincsentits

Hisop

Moo

Comerc24

Alkimia

Windsor

Drolma (very expensive)

And many, many other options. THere are several threads and many wonderful recommendations.

Given that Madrid Fusión starts on Monday, many chefs will be out of Barcelona for that event. I expect the quality of the food will still be excellent, but if it is important to you that the chef be in-house, i suggest concentrating those restaurants over the weekend.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

For what it's worth, I was just there last March, and it was my first trip too.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

Thanks everyone for your advice, Barcelona was a blast. Followed up on your suggestions re mushrooms, cooking them up for breakfast one morning [you said to get there early!]. Also tried Origens which was great and Can Mano in Barceloneta - very simple, hearty food and great fun. Had brilliant Basque tapas at Irati and amazingly managed to follow up with dinner at Restaurant Culleretes. I had beans and pork, deliciously soupy, eaten with a spoon and garnished with a big slice of morcilla. Mmmm.

Avoid at all costs a shocking tourist rip off joint called The Four Cats. Believe me it wasn't my idea. We were with friends who'd had fun there once and I figured I shouldn't always call the shots so we went. Diabolical! Lesson learnt: continue to be foodie fascist when travelling with friends who aren't that into food.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello ~ I'm new to this board and have spent quite awhile reading through all the postings for recommended places to eat in Barcelona.

My husband and I will be there in late November 2008 for several days (pre-cruise ~ Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Lisbon, Gibralter & Mallorca) staying at the Regencia Colon Hotel, and then for a week (post-cruise) at a wonderful apartment on C/ Boqueria just off Las Ramblas and very near La Boqueria.

We are fairly adventuresome eaters (and cooks) and are anxious to try out some of the places that have been recommended.

Could anyone provide suggestions as to where we might enjoy a traditional Escudèlla i Carn d'Olla? (Cocido) My husband Mike made an Americanized version of it that he saw presented on The Food Channel that's wonderful, but we would really like to try the real thing while we are in Barcelona. Perhaps at Agut in the Barrio Gotico?

Also, I've tried searching for information on this forum regarding a restaurant that's located very close to the apartment we will be staying in, but haven't had any success in locating any posts. What's the general feeling regarding food and service at Can Culleretes? I've read that it's the oldest continuously operated restaurant in Barcelona and the second oldest in Spain ~ not certain if these claims are true or not ~ but it sounded interesting. I suspect that it may be a tourist hangout, but I saw references that it's also frequented by a great number of locals.

At any rate, I've REALLY enjoyed reading all the posts here and related ones as well. We can hardly wait to visit Barcelona! It will be our first trip to Spain. For what it's worth, here in Tampa, there are a great many people of Asturiano ancestry whose families immigrated here during the late 1800s and early 1900s to work in the cigar industry. We have an active Centro Asturiano here.

Unfortunately, we have never been able to find any places serving traditional Asturiano dishes. Rather mediocre "Cuban" food seems to be the rule of thumb here ~ perhaps with the exception of the Columbia Restaurant that has been in business since 1905.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions that have been provided and any additonal ones that you may come up with.

Edited by JoanieBlon (log)

VIEW OUR TRAVEL SLIDESHOWS HERE AT MAISON-T-BAYOU.COM

There's No Such Thing as Too Many Vacations!

BTW ~ forgot to mention that we look forward to checking out SD's PAZZTA 920 stall in the Boqueria (along with all the other obviously fantastic food stalls there! :biggrin: ). Being in an apartment will give us the chance to do some cooking ~ IF we feel so inclined! With so many fantastic cafes, restaurants, and tapas bars in Barcelona, I doubt that we'll be spending too much time in the kitchen! :cool:

I know that many people in Barcelona speak English but I will try to use Spanish to the best of my ability. Not sure just how that will turn out, as the only Spanish I've really ever been exposed to is Mexican Spanish, which has somewhat different pronunciation. I did read and translate "El Sombrero de Tres Picos" by Pedro Antonio de Alarcon years ago, but didn't retain too much traditional Spanish from that experience. :rolleyes:

VIEW OUR TRAVEL SLIDESHOWS HERE AT MAISON-T-BAYOU.COM

There's No Such Thing as Too Many Vacations!

BTW ~ forgot to mention that we look forward to checking out SD's PAZZTA 920 stall in the Boqueria (along with all the other obviously fantastic food stalls there!  :biggrin: ).  Being in an apartment will give us the chance to do some cooking ~ IF we feel so inclined!  With so many fantastic cafes, restaurants, and tapas bars in Barcelona, I doubt that we'll be spending too much time in the kitchen!  :cool:

I know that many people in Barcelona speak English but I will try to use Spanish to the best of my ability.  Not sure just how that will turn out, as the only Spanish I've really ever been exposed to is Mexican Spanish, which has somewhat different pronunciation.  I did read and translate "El Sombrero de Tres Picos"  by Pedro Antonio de Alarcon years ago, but didn't retain too much traditional Spanish from that experience.  :rolleyes:

While there certainly are so many wonderful places to eat in and around Barcelona, definitely take advantage of the kitchen if you enjoy cooking as the product available in the markets is as good as you will find anywhere.

Welcome to the eGullet Society!

Twitter - @docsconz

• 6 months later...

I'm heading to Barcelona for a week at the end of September. It's a last minute trip before I open my Cal-Spanish restaurant, Contigo, in San Francisco. By Cal-Spanish, I mean the menu is ingredient driven.

I'll be honest, I don't have too much time to read up on what's new or what's still worthwhile. I'm turning to the always trustworthy opinions of my fellow eGulleters.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations in two categories. First, informal tapas style places. Second, the small "bistronomic" chef-owned restaurants.

In the first category, I'll visit old favorites, like Quimet i Quimet, Cal Pep (I know, not everyone likes it), and the various kioskos in la Boqueria (Pinotxo, Universal, and El Quim).

I'm excited to try:

Bar Inopia (of course)

Paco Meralgo

And I hope to visit less expensive joints like:

Bar Tomas for patatas bravas

la Cova Fumada for la bomba

Mam i Teca.

I'd appreciate other recommendations for other informal places not on my list (even places that are only known for one typically Catalan dish).

In the second category, I'm thinking Cinc Sentits and maybe one or two other places. Possibilities I've read about before include:

Hisop

Abac

Alkimia

Sauc

Ot

Are the above still good? Which would you rank as the top "must visit" places? Are there any newer bistronomic restaurants not on my list?

Lastly, what's the best place these days for Sunday suquet/fideus/arroces in Barceloneta?

Many thanks in advance!!

P.S. Can't wait to visit Pedro's and SD's Pazzta920 stall and buy mushrooms at Petras' stall! And Jamonisimo! And a blow out seafood orgy at Rias de Gallicia (if I can afford it).

Brett Emerson

My food blog: In Praise of Sardines

I'm heading to Barcelona for a week at the end of September. It's a last minute trip before I open my Cal-Spanish restaurant, Contigo, in San Francisco. By Cal-Spanish, I mean the menu is ingredient driven.

I'll be honest, I don't have too much time to read up on what's new or what's still worthwhile. I'm turning to the always trustworthy opinions of my fellow eGulleters.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations in two categories. First, informal tapas style places. Second, the small "bistronomic" chef-owned restaurants.

In the first category, I'll visit old favorites, like Quimet i Quimet, Cal Pep (I know, not everyone likes it), and the various kioskos in la Boqueria (Pinotxo, Universal, and El Quim).

I'm excited to try:

Bar Inopia (of course)

Paco Meralgo

Mam i Teca.

I'd appreciate other recommendations for other informal places not on my list (even places that are only known for one typically Catalan dish).

In the second category, I'm thinking Cinc Sentits and maybe one or two other places. Possibilities I've read about before include:

Hisop

Abac

Alkimia

Sauc

Ot

Are the above still good? Which would you rank as the top "must visit" places? Are there any newer bistronomic restaurants not on my list?

Lastly, what's the best place these days for Sunday suquet/fideus/arroces in Barceloneta?

Many thanks in advance!!

P.S. Can't wait to visit Pedro's and SD's Pazzta920 stall and buy mushrooms at Petras' stall! And Jamonisimo! And a blow out seafood orgy at Rias de Gallicia (if I can afford it).

Brett, Rafa Peña and his restaurant, Gresca have received good press. He was one of the first speakers at this year's Madrid Fusion, with a presentation/demo on Bistronomics. I have not eaten there personally, so I can not give a direct recommendation.

I'm jealous. Have fun on your trip and best wishes with the restaurant!

Twitter - @docsconz

Looks like a pretty good list already. Maybe also consider Dos Pallilos and Tapac 24. I'm also very jealous - I need to get to Cinc Sentits for that suckling pig in the near future!

Not sure if you have already been to Jamonisimo, but if not someone posted this map on another page which may be useful:

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=jamonis...li=lmd&z=14&t=m <http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=jamonisimo&near=Barcelona,+Catalu%C3%B1a,+Spain&radius=0.0&cd=1&cid=41387917,2169918,11306889112942706484&li=lmd&z=14&t=m>

I'm excited to try:

Bar Inopia (of course)

Paco Meralgo

Mam i Teca.

Hisop

Abac

Alkimia

Sauc

Ot

Many thanks in advance!!

I would drop Inopia and do Tapaç 24 and Dos Palillos instead.

Bar Tomas is, unfortunately, not what it used to be.

Gresca, as doc is pointing out, is indeed very worth visiting.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

We will be in Barcelona mid Sept and thus I am finanlizing reservations. Comerc24, Can Fabes and Can Roca are booked - Gresca, Hisop sound interesting, but I din't find opening times on the net?

And, whereas it was absolutely no problem for CF and CR Sant pau seems to be better booked - it is the first time I didn't get a desired reservation :sad:

What about Espai Sucre, Abac, Alkimia - any recent experiences??

Any other recommendations welcome...