• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

Hey everyone!

I'm finally off to Barcelona. Ill be studying there for the fall semester. I just wanted to thank everyone for all the food suggestions I have been given over the last few months. Ill be sure to keep everyone posted on my experiences, and any great places I discover.

Cheers! :biggrin:

-Charlie

We're going to Barcelona this weekend, first time. We have reservations for Saturday lunch at Cinc Sentits and Monday dinner at Alkimia. I think that will be our max for fine dining.

And if we go to CS, should we have the tasting menu (which you need to reserve ahead)? I said not, feeling we might get antsy on a Saturday afternoon with a succession of small plates. We are not generally that into tasting menus anyway. But if the voice of experience says otherwise...

Many thanks.

If you had had no preference either way and it was your first time, I'd say go for the tasting menu. But if you don't really feel up for a degustacion then I think you'll be happier a la carte - and CS is not one of those places where it's degustacion or bust. On their current carta I'd recommend the vieiras (scallops) or foie to start and the cochinillo (suckling pig) as a second course. But it's all good!

Enjoy!

If you had had no preference either way and it was your first time, I'd say go for the tasting menu. But if you don't really feel up for a degustacion then I think you'll be happier a la carte - and CS is not one of those places where it's degustacion or bust. On their current carta I'd recommend the vieiras (scallops) or foie to start and the cochinillo (suckling pig) as a second course. But it's all good!

Enjoy!

Hi Saborosa, do you know if we're likely to taste the suckling pig if we have the tasting menu? I certainly hope so!

Enjoy!

Hi Saborosa, do you know if we're likely to taste the suckling pig if we have the tasting menu? I certainly hope so!

I think it's likely, but anyway, I'm sure you could request it. If you want to be sure, just drop them an email info@cincsentits.com, or call 93 323 94 90. To see pics of their dishes look at http://www.cincsentits.com/en/plats.shtml. Suckling pig is ninth from the left!

Just wanted to thank everyone for the Barcelona (and nearby) suggestions in here. I am going to Europe for my first time in about a week, and will be spending several days in Barcelona. This forum has been invaluable in helping me decide where to eat. (El Bulli was already booked up when I thought to try to make reservations 9 months ahead of time. Not quite early enough, heheh). Here is my tentative food plan:

Sat night - arrive in the evening, in time to go for the 5 course dessert meal at the second shift reservation at Espai Sucre

Sun - maybe try to find some paella for lunch, hit tapas or pintxos bars in the evening to have an extended dinner at multiple locations. Interested in Mam I Teca, as I'll be staying in Raval (Caasa Camper). Might find myself in Barceloneta, depending on how far I get in my sightseeing. Interested in Agulla, El Vaso del Oro and Cal Pep. Interested in Quimet y Quiemet as well.

Mon - Pinotxo and El Quim in La Boqueria for breakfast and lunch. Again, casual and simple dinner in tapas or pintxos bars.

Tues - Travel to Figueres. Find somewhere to eat in town near Dali Museum. Tasting menu dinner reservation and overnight at Mas Pau.

Wed - Lunch reservation at El Cellar de Can Roca

Fri - dinner possibly at Abac or Cinq Sentis. May not be in the mood for another heavy meal.

If anyone has any particular suggestions for a Sunday paella lunch or particular tapas recommendations for Sun and Mon, or lunch in Figueres, please let me know. All comments welcome.

If anyone is planning on travelling to Vancouver, BC, Canada, I'd be happy to make recommendations (http://nancyland.blogspot.com).

- Nancy

P.S. Ooo, almost forgot. I will try to fit in a visit to Jamonisimo. Is it worth making the trip to the shop, or should I just eat ham in the restaurants?

Edited by Dumpling Girl (log)

Sunday's not a good day for tapas hopping as many places are shut. You might be best sticking with Mam i Teca in the evening.

For paella lunch on a Sunday I like Casa Valencia, C/Corsega 335, they do good trad Valencian paella. It's one of the 'casas culturales' that are like social clubs for various immigrants from other parts of Spain that are dotted around the city. A table in the front, street-side dining room is the most pleasant. They apparently also have good tango nights!

An interesting Barceloneta option is Kaiku, Passeig Joan de Borbó 74, Barceloneta, 93 221 9082. It has tables on a terrace overlooking the beach. Go right to the beach end of Joan de Borbo and turn left. You'll need to book. They do an original paella with smoked rice. Nice desserts too.

Oh and in Casa Camper don't forget your room key when hopping between bedroom and sitting room or you'll be clumping down to reception in your oversized camper slippers all night! Not that I'd do anything like that, of course....

• 1 month later...

I read with interest everyone's responses to Irish Adventurer in Aug re his trip to Barcelona and I'm going too, next month for five days. But what I'm really interested in is the simple places, not so much the mod foamy, molecular gastronomy-type places. I've noted the excellent suggestion for the bar at the market - sounds just right - and any other places like this I'd love to hear about. I guess I'm after the Spanish equivalent of a simple bistro.

Many thanks in advance

Stephanie

It is not in Barcelona, but in Arenys de Mar, a few miles North of Barcelona.

Thanks Rogelio. We're not hiring a car though, so can you get there easily by cab or train? If not I'm sure we'll find plenty by just walking around the Gothic quarter.

You can take the train and then a taxi. Bear in mind though that Hispania is not exactly bistro-type, but rather a high-end, product-oriented restaurant, quite possibly one of the best (if not the best) in its category around here.

For what you're looking for, I would try Origen 99.9%, with three locations in Barcelona. Simple Catalonian food and not expensive at all. It's good, but as with a bistro, don't expect to be blown away by their food.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

I lived in Barceloneta for two years and really loved Can Mano. Dirtcheap seafood in a neon lit institution. It's on C/Baluard. Arrive early. Also in Barceloneta is El Vaso de Oro (C/Balboa), a great place for tapas and a beer. Very, very crowded and it helps if you speak Spanish or Catalan. I second Origen 99,9%.

Edited by Betamax (log)

I agree that "Hispania" (as excellent as it is) does not really qualify as Catalan Food. For me, and I am very reluctant to mention it, as a Catalan who no longer lives there a visit to "Can Culleretes" is necessary to understand the basics from which some chefs take off (Vila and Franco, to name two)

Also, "Sauc" has impressed me lately and agree with 99,9%. A trip through the old Barceloneta (stay away from the area near the Arts) should give many wonderful surprises. For something very Catalan, try the different "fondes" for lunch ("Egipte").

l

I'll mention this to save GeordieSteve the trouble, although the credit is his:

If you do go to Origens 99.9%, make sure you order the torrada amb girella. This is basically a Catalan version of haggis, with rice in place of oats. It is fantastic.

When we were there a year ago, we went to a lot of food shops, notes on which you can find here.

Origens 99.9% is worth a visit, if only to get one of their magazine-length menu things. Food is hit and miss.

For a superb hole in the wall, visit Casa Marcos (Bar Bodega Las Campanas – look for it on Calle Merced, #21 - tel. 315.06.09). We also call it Pacharan because of the drink Juan serves at the end. It's small, smoky, and very Spanish. Try the bacalao, jamon de toro, chistorra, morcilla, and pan con tomates. Very old-school Spanish and super rustic.

Scroll down to the "eating and drinking" paragraph of the listing on my blog for more info:

http://biscuits_brioche.typepad.com/biscui...ek21/index.html

And of course, Pinotxo Bar in the market is a definite must.

Have a blast! Great food. Superb wine. Cool folks. What more can you ask for?

Julesy (Gypsy Foodist)

www.biscuitsbrioche.com

"It's So Beautifully Arranged On The Plate - You Know Someone's Fingers Have Been All Over It" – Julia Child

At the Boqueria, visit egullet's pedro's stall:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=102993

Thanks! will definitely get down there. We're renting an apartment so we can COOK occasionally! It drives me mad staying in hotels all the time because great food markets just become a source of frustration - what can you do with all that stuff?

When we were there a year ago, we went to a lot of food shops, notes on which you can find here.

Origens 99.9% is worth a visit, if only to get one of their magazine-length menu things. Food is hit and miss.

For a superb hole in the wall, visit Casa Marcos (Bar Bodega Las Campanas – look for it on Calle Merced, #21 - tel. 315.06.09). We also call it Pacharan because of the drink Juan serves at the end. It's small, smoky, and very Spanish. Try the bacalao, jamon de toro, chistorra, morcilla, and pan con tomates. Very old-school Spanish and super rustic.

Scroll down to the "eating and drinking" paragraph of the listing on my blog for more info:

http://biscuits_brioche.typepad.com/biscui...ek21/index.html

And of course, Pinotxo Bar in the market is a definite must.

Have a blast! Great food. Superb wine. Cool folks. What more can you ask for?

thanks Julesy. Love your blog, esp the bit about that cheese from Extremadura!

Thanks! will definitely get down there. We're renting an apartment so we can COOK occasionally! It drives me mad staying in hotels all the time because great food markets just become a source of frustration - what can you do with all that stuff?

I did the same for about 3 weeks, 4 years ago, but I was so in love with the ingredients (jamon, cheeses, etc) that I didn't even need to actually "cook" :)

We're renting an apartment so we can COOK occasionally! It drives me mad staying in hotels all the time because great food markets just become a source of frustration - what can you do with all that stuff?

We rented an apartment as well, bringing a good sauté pan, two knives, a collection of basic spices, S&P, and an apron. We bought olive oil immediately and then shopped at the markets most days for dinner. It was a smashing success (save for one shrimp). I wrote a bit about it here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts