• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

It's a cliche, but cliches are cliches for a reason. Get to the Boqueria very early and sit at the far right end of the counter at Bar Pinotxo. Eat whatever breakfast Albert Asim, the affable chef at Bar Pinotxo, and family are making and drink cava with it. Their clams with eggs, garbanzos with sofregit, and virtually everything else are remarkable, and the experience is unique. You'll never complain about too little kitchen space or inadequate pans again.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I have a few follow-up questions: when making reservations, is it okay to simply call up, and ask them in Catalan if they speak English? Also, can I simply call into Jamonisimo to try some of their hams, or do I need to book there too? I thought it was just like a store, but their website makes it look like you can make a booking for a tasting...

I've sent a mail to Cinc Sentits, they're closed til the 27th, so fingers crossed I'll get a positive response. Reading some of the other threads on here, Alkimia sounds interesting....any opinions on that? I'd like another place (apart from Cinc Sentits) that has a tasting menu, but I don't think I'll be able to spend the kind of money that some places are charging. Alkimia seems a bit more affordable...?

Salamanca, Almirant Cervera, 34, 27, is quite good. Cheap prices; mostly fish but good ham too. Well known to the locals.

Located in two sites opposite each other next to the port, in an area called Barceloneta that used to be notorious. The area has been rejuvenated over the last few years but not at the cost of all of its charm.

The menu is based on fresh fish and seafood, served with little elaboration.

Our waiter asked for our faith and (as the picture on my blog will attest) the platter we ate was reward enough.

Read about what I've been eating at http://theeatingwell.blogspot.com/

I've sent a mail to Cinc Sentits, they're closed til the 27th, so fingers crossed I'll get a positive response. Reading some of the other threads on here, Alkimia sounds interesting....any opinions on that? I'd like another place (apart from Cinc Sentits) that has a tasting menu, but I don't think I'll be able to spend the kind of money that some places are charging. Alkimia seems a bit more affordable...?

Jamonisimo is just a store with a few tables, you can walk in with no reservations.

In Barcelona, similar to CS, I'd recommend Abac, Lasarte, Saüc, Colibri or Hisop (in that order) instead of Alkimia. For rerefence, for most of these places you're looking at 60-100 euro a head depending on what you drink.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Thanks for those recommendations dharold and Silly Disciple.

@dharold, may I ask how much that platter cost? It's certainly very impressive.

@Silly Disciple, you obviously know a lot, being a local, are there any places that you'd really recommend, that aren't nueva cocina (I thought most/all of those you mentioned are)? Also, what's the best way to book ABAC? Their website seems to be broken or missing....

@Silly Disciple, you obviously know a lot, being a local, are there any places that you'd really recommend, that aren't nueva cocina (I thought most/all of those you mentioned are)? Also, what's the best way to book ABAC? Their website seems to be broken or missing....

I'm not sure what you mean by nueva cocina, care to explain? While most of these restaurants have different degrees of "modern touch" , as CS and Alkimia do as well.

As for Abac, you can give them a call at 93.319.6600

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

Hi again Silly Disciple, I meant the more modern style of cooking, influenced by people like Adria and Arzak, and cooked in places run by former El Bulli and Arzak chefs. I understand quite a few of those places we've discussed fall under that heading. Perhaps I'm misusing the term however. But yes, more modern-style food, rather than 'simply' very good traditional cooking.

I'm tempted to call ABAC alright, especially if I might not get a table at Cinc Sensis. Silly question, but when would be best to call them, time-wise?

Edited by IrishAdventurer (log)

I can't remember the exact price but I think the whole meal was <150 euros inc. starters and wine. I remember thinking it was reasonably priced.

Hi again Silly Disciple, I meant the more modern style of cooking, influenced by people like Adria and Arzak, and cooked in places run by former El Bulli and Arzak chefs. I understand quite a few of those places we've discussed fall under that heading. Perhaps I'm misusing the term however. But yes, more modern-style food, rather than 'simply' very good traditional cooking.

I'm tempted to call ABAC alright, especially if I might not get a table at Cinc Sensis. Silly question, but when would be best to call them, time-wise?

While they are all influenced by Adria and Arzak to some extent (who isn't), none of these places would be considered Adria-like, I think. Alkimia and Hisop are the most modern, perhaps.

I would ABAC call after 8pm, local time.

I can't remember the exact price but I think the whole meal was <150 euros inc. starters and wine. I remember thinking it was reasonably priced.

150 eur for how many people?

Thanks again Silly Disciple. I'll see what comes back from CS, and I'll call ABAC next week. Where is your stall in the Boqueria? Is it just fresh pasta to take away, or do you serve pasta dishes too? My wife is a real pasta fan...

Our stall is towards the back of the market and to the left, close to Petras, the mushroom guy. You can't miss it, the orange tiles are so bright it sometimes hurts :biggrin: . We do serve pasta dishes to eat there or take away.

150 eur for how many people?

Oops! Three.

A mushroom guy you say...intriguing....  :hmmm:

Llorenç Petras is the owner of a stall which specializes in mushrooms, quite a personality in his own right.

7067728_1592004132227.jpg

Here's an article, in Spanish.

While they are all influenced by Adria and Arzak to some extent (who isn't), none of these places would be considered Adria-like, I think. Alkimia and Hisop are the most modern, perhaps.

I ate at Abac and Cinc Sentits last month, and I agree regarding them not being very Adria-like. (I thought Cinc Sentits used to be a little more so though.)

Of the other Barcelona restaurants I've eaten at, for a more "modern" experience, maybe Espai Sucre or Comerc 24?

Bill

I ate at Abac and Cinc Sentits last month, and I agree regarding them not being very Adria-like. (I thought Cinc Sentits used to be a little more so though.)

Of the other Barcelona restaurants I've eaten at, for a more "modern" experience, maybe Espai Sucre or Comerc 24?

Bill

Probably. Comerç 24's owner, Carles Abella, is a "recognized" El Bulli alumni. And Espai Sucre's Xano Saguer and Jordi Butron have a long history of collaborating informally with Albert Adria and some of El Bulli's purveyors, like Sosa, Sole Graells, etc.

Hello again everyone, well, Cinc Sentits mailed me back yesterday, and I got an 8.30 reservation for the day I wanted (had asked for 9), so that's great. I'll definitely have to check out that mushroom stall, and dharold, if all that seafood was only €50 per person, and I'm down near the port, I'll definitely check out that Salamanca place (which is actually the name of my favourite tapas restaurant in Dublin!).

I would like to eat in more of the places that you've all recommended (particularly any places run by El Bulli alumni), but i'm facing into a potentially expensive relocation in the next few months, and the missus doesn't want to go too mad...I don't doubt that we'll eat very well after all your advice, I've got a list twice as long as the number of meals we're going to have!

A quick note: We just returned from Barcelona last night and had an excellent meal at Comerc24, having made a reservation the day before. It's modern in the Per Se sense more than in the El Bulli sense, judging from personal experience with the former but not the latter, but very, very good. I'm too wiped out to run down the list, but I know we both ordered the more limited tasting menu ("snacks," 7 tapas, and dessert; I believe the "super-Fest" menu offered 10 tapas), supplemented by a cheese course. I had two glasses of wine; my husband had an array of half-glasses paired with his courses, and the bill came to around 150 euros. We really were blown away, perhaps because we didn't quite know what level of excellence to expect. I'd definitely recommend it if it fits your budget.

Susan

Hello Susan, glad to hear you enjoyed it. When I was reading the guidebooks, Comerc24 is definitely the one that stood out for me, but then I heard very mixed reports and that's why I looked elsewhere. I wouldn't quibble about prices for any of the restaurants discussed and recommended on this thread, except I'll only be in Barcelona for 3 proper evenings (when I won't be flying in, or home), and don't think I can justify two meals like that in such a short trip. However, from what I'm anticipating, I'm sure I'll be back there before too long to try the others! Anywhere else you'd recommend? Nice bars for sampling Cava, for example?

I wish I could! One reason we chose Comerc24 was that almost every other top restaurant in town was closed; I will never go to Barcelona mid-August again. (Also, I've traveled to Europe in August every year for the past five, and have never, ever seen as many tourists as I did in the past week there. It was unbelievable.) A much larger limiting factor for us was that we were with our two children, who find the entire food thing boring at best. You might be able to try some cavas at Vila Viniteca--you can definitely sample some remarkable cheeses, hams, and sausage there, and pick up more to bring home. Great place.

We're going to Barcelona this weekend, first time. We have reservations for Saturday lunch at Cinc Sentits and Monday dinner at Alkimia. I think that will be our max for fine dining.

And if we go to CS, should we have the tasting menu (which you need to reserve ahead)? I said not, feeling we might get antsy on a Saturday afternoon with a succession of small plates. We are not generally that into tasting menus anyway. But if the voice of experience says otherwise...

Many thanks.

Edited by Maureen B. Fant (log)

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com