• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

Doc, I know you were most  helpful but Gaig  was the most overpriced undervalued restaurant in the world let alone Barcelona. This is true for there new location at Hotel Cram and maybe not  for there previous location. I am not only talking about the $250.00 a  couple price tag but the food quality, service, and the fact that $6.00 per  person bread  and snack charge is not only rediculous but insulting.Please see my full review on my web page www. gagit.com for my full review in a few days.

That is distressing to read. Let us know the details of your meal. I am curious. Depending on what you had, $250 per couple is no longer an outrageous sum for a meal though of course it isn't cheap. Most restaurants in Spain charge a "cover charge" that basically covers service. Tips of course are appreciated, but not expected.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I will be leaving for Barcelona this Sunday. Have booked dinners at Cinc Sentits, Alkima, Moo, Abac, Lasarte and Comerc 24. Once home, I will give a full report with pictures on each. Any DON'T MISS lunch suggestions for next week?

Hi all,

My mums going to Barcelona next week, and shes looking for a few places to go for good food. Has anyone got some recommendations for her for places to visit. I think theres a place called Jamonissimo, which i think is in Barcelona, but i might be wrong. What other places might be good to visit, tapas bars etc.

Cheers,

Look at MOO, CINC SENTITIS, LASARTE, COMERC 24, ALKIMIA, AND ABAC. These are all awesome now.

Welcome to eG Forums Sockster. It sounds like you have a great trip planned. Quimet i Quimet is well worth a visit for lunch. It is a small tapas bar, with just a few high tables and all of the tapas are made from preserved goods. This may sound unusual, but give it a go, it is extremely good quality and inexpensive, and the atmosphere is great.

We had some great tapas at a place in Plaza Nou, near the cathedral: Bilbao Berria. Really fresh, interesting tapas and some excellent dessert selections in small portions as well. No sidra, but great beer. We spent a wonderful late Saturday afternoon there, and then stepped into the plaza to enjoy the traditional Catalan dance, the sardana. There were several large circles of dancers and a woodwind orchestra playing on the bandstand.

Lunch at the Boqueria can be hectic, but is a great experience. Although Bar Pinotxo gets the most press and is excellent, any of the stalls provide excellent lunch options from Bar Quim to kiosk Universal. Also, keep an eye open for pasta near the back of the Boqueria. :wink:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc.I didnt have a problem with the $250 a couple at Gaig, I had a problem with what we received for this. My wife and friend ordered Sea Bass and with a 9 oclock reservation they only had one portion left, unfortunately my wife received the Sea Bass and the portion was small and the fish was overcooked and dry.My friend ordered John Dory and it to was a small portion with no character whatsoever.I ordered the squab with bomba rice which was basically expensive street food . As to charging for bread and snacks this is not acceptable especially when the snacks are nothing that we would order or enjoyed.I will post pictures of this meal and all my meals in Spain on my website:www.gagit.net, by the end of the week, please review and comment. thx gagit

Welcome to eG Forums Sockster. It sounds like you have a great trip planned. Quimet i Quimet is well worth a visit for lunch. It is a small tapas bar, with just a few high tables and all of the tapas are made from preserved goods. This may sound unusual, but give it a go, it is extremely good quality and inexpensive, and the atmosphere is great.

Thanks we'll try it!!

Doc.I didnt have a problem with the $250 a couple at Gaig, I had a problem with what we received for this. My wife and friend ordered Sea Bass and with a 9 oclock reservation they only had one portion left, unfortunately my wife received the Sea Bass and the portion was small and the fish was overcooked and dry.My friend ordered John Dory and it to was a small portion with no character whatsoever.I ordered the squab with bomba rice which was basically expensive street food . As to charging for bread and snacks this is not acceptable especially when the snacks are nothing that we would order or enjoyed.I will post pictures of this meal and all my meals in Spain on my website:www.gagit.net, by the end of the week, please review and comment. thx gagit

Just out of curiosity, what night of the week did you go? Ordinarily, Spanish restaurants are just opening at that time. Surely, you had more than just one main course each?

Twitter - @docsconz

The night was Monday, we had a starter each mine was oysters at about 8$ a piece good but not worth it . my wife had scallops not to bad and my friends i dont really remember . why would I have more than one main course no one else in the restaurant had more than one. A;lso , i ordered a bottle of wine 2004, they only had 2005 ,I asked if the price was different and he said of course not, I ask why not.

The night was Monday, we had a starter each mine was oysters at about 8$ a piece good but not worth it . my wife had scallops not to bad and my friends i dont really remember . why would I have more than one main course  no one else in the restaurant had  more than one. A;lso , i ordered a bottle of wine 2004, they only had 2005 ,I asked if the price was different and he said of course not, I ask why not.

The only course you mentioned was a main course. I wondered what other courses you had. Should the wines have been priced differently? Were the vintages of different quality for the wine? Did they offer an alternative? If you didn't have the cannelons you missed what may be Gaig's best dish.

Twitter - @docsconz

No alternative on the wine take it or leave it was the action.Cannelons I didnt even rember seeing on the menu and would have been my last thought in this restaurant noted for seafood or were the cannelons stuffed with some time of fruit from the sea.

I have no specific recommendations, but only a general one. A stroll on the Ramblas in the early evening with stops at the local (and perhaps unheralded) tapas bars for a taste of what the natives do. The people in Barcelona were some of the friendliest and most helpful I've ever encountered in my travels. Strike up a conversation either out on your stroll or with the folks seated next to you at the first bar of your choosing. Ask them where to go. I'm sure they'll steer you right. Admire the architechture while you're taking your evening constitutional. The buildings there are just amazing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

No alternative on the wine take it or leave it was the action.Cannelons I didnt even rember seeing on the menu and would have been my last thought in this restaurant noted for seafood or were the cannelons stuffed with some time of fruit from the sea.

As far as I know, Gaig is not really noted for the seafood, but rather for his interpretation and execution of catalan dishes.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Ok so I know I have two posts in a row, but I've been meaning to ask these questions for some time! I know there are countless threads on eG about the top restaurants in Barcelona, and various members' suggestions. I'm not really looking for that info. Having read through all the forums and several other guidebooks and reviews, Ive managed to put together a rather extensive list of restaurants I'm interested in. Now I need help deciding! I'm looking for several restaurants to go to with my family who will be visiting me in Spain in September. I'd like to get as "well-rounded" a dining experience as possible.. By that I mean, I don't just want El-Bulli style molecular gastronomy. I already have a dinner reservation at El Celler de Can Roca for dinner. I definitely want to go to a seafood place (considering Passadis del pep and Rias de Galicia). Aside from those, the other two I'm strongly considering are Abac and Cinc Sentits (mainly due to the positive reviews on this forum). I only have 4 dinners with my family, so obviously I can't go everywhere. Other places I'm strongly considering for dinner are Colibri, Espai Sucre, and Alkimia (although I heard Abac was better).

I'll definitely take them to la Boqueria for breakfast one day, and I'm considering Inopia Sauc, and Quimet y Quimet for lunches.

What do you guys think of these choices? Would you make any changes or suggetions?

Thanks so much!

Charlie

Oh, I also plan on going to Jamonisimo

Looks like you have done your research. Those are all good choices. Welcome to the eGullet Society!

Twitter - @docsconz

What sort of places (in terms of atmosphere, especially) does your family prefer - casual, funky, or anything? Of the places you mention, I recently enjoyed the food at Sauc but did not much enjoy Colibri - which I found very cold and formal. While the food did not bowl me over, it might be a great meal for someone who cares about an elegant, spacious room, formal service, a "fancy" sort of atmosphere. Closer to the El Bulli sphere, we had a wonderful dinner at Hisop, which skews younger and hipper.

Atmosphere is not important to us. In terms of food, on one is particularly picky, and all of us are very adventurous. We're willing to try everything. I have heard good things about Hisop, but with only a few days to spend with them, it wasn't on the top of my list. Perhaps ill have to look into it again

Atmosphere is not important to us.  In terms of food, on one is particularly picky, and all of us are very adventurous. We're willing to try everything. I have heard good things about Hisop, but with only a few days to spend with them, it wasn't on the top of my list. Perhaps ill have to look into it again

If you are truly adventurous do try Hisop. As one of the older eGulleteers, I highly recommend the talents of Hisops two chefs who outrate IMO all the other establishments in Barcelona; even though many of the other restaurants have very good chefs; they donnot offer the extraordinary talent that Hisop delivers. The same evaluation is extended to Cinq Sentis. Try both for reasonably priced menus; both offer exciting degustacion fare. You won't be disappointed. For a remarkable dining experience, you will pay less for an extraordinary meal. Judith Gebhart

Adding to Judith's suggestions above, I had very good meals in both Hissop and Cinc Sentits last October, extremely good quality for the reasonable prices they charge. I preferred Hissop, but will counter this by saying that the CS experience was for a large party, which they catered beyond expectations, but did mean that we didn't fully explore the menu.

I see you are considering Quimet i Quimet. I would highly recommend it. It's such a pleasant experience and feels very much like a locals place.

If you do make it to Abac, be sure to have their roast suckling pig - it is as good as I've had anywhere.

Twitter - @docsconz

will do doc. The problem with all this advice is that it's becoming exponentially harder to decide where to go.

Doc, I'm curious to hear your opinion on passadis. The idea of a free flowing dinner of seafood without a menu sounds like a ton of fun, but rias seems to be recieving a lot more praise. Is Passadis del Pep overrated to the same extent that Cal Pep is? What do you think?

will do doc. The problem with all this advice is that it's becoming exponentially harder to decide where to go.

Doc, I'm curious to hear your opinion on passadis. The idea of a free flowing dinner of seafood without a menu sounds like a ton of fun, but rias seems to be recieving a lot more praise. Is Passadis del Pep overrated to the same extent that Cal Pep is? What do you think?

Charlie, I am sorry to say that I don't have an opinion as I haven't been there, although I do like the concept. The best seafood meal that I have had in recent memory was at Ca Sento in Valencia this past May. Though it wasn't purely seafood, that was the bulk of the meal. Perhaps I have missed it, but I don't recall seeing a report on Passadis on this Forum. Perhaps you could provide us with some necessary research? Take one for the team so to say. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm going to Barcelona in two weeks for 4 days, and while I've gotten some bit of an idea of where I'd like to eat, I really don't have time to do the research I'd like, as I'm very busy with work at the moment. I've read some of the threads here about Barcelona restaurants, and it has helped (had wanted to go to Commerc 24, but have been pushed towards Cinc Sensis instead), but I suppose I'm looking for the "do not miss" places. Not necessarily the most expensive, but just really good places, either for simple tapas, good food, or the 'clever' stuff. I've seen that former El Bulli and Arzak people have places in BCN, but which of those would you recommend (I'd imagine I'll only be able to go to two places that require reservations), and will I get a table there with only two weeks notice? There'll be three of us, all adventurous with food.

Also, where is Jamonissimo? I saw this on tv and said I have to go there, but haven't been able to get an address.

I know this is probably a selfish/lazy first request, but I'll promise I'll give my knowledge back to the forum in return!

Allow me to humbly suggest a perusal of my own recent trip to my new favorite city here, and also to recommend that you book any potential restaurants NOW.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)