• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

• 3 weeks later...

Even though there are already a number of posts that relate to this topic, I'm hoping to get current opinions on the 3 or 4 most memorable dining experiences in Barcelona for an upcoming (much too short) trip there. I only have two days (so a max of two dinners and two lunches) to try these places. This will be wrapped around a trip to El Bulli, so I want places that won't be major disappointments before and after. Some that are on the considered list include: Hisop, Cinq Centits, Comerc 24, Santa Maria, Passadis Del Pep, Cal Pep, Colibri and Sauc. I'm also open to others that I may not be aware of. For the record, I've already been to Abac, Alkimia and Espai Sucre and enjoyed all of them, but probably Alkimia the most. Thanks for your opinions.

I just got back from Barcelona and can recommend Tapac 24 -- it's Carles Abellan's new place, more of an authentic tapas bar than Comerc 24 but with the same level of excellence. It's on Diputacio, somewhere around 262. I also really enjoyed Cata 1.81, which is on Valencia 181. And if you're looking for friendly home food, I loved Casa Marcelino, also on Diputacio, don't have the exact address but it was on the block between Roger de flor and Napoles (I think...)

And, if you're spluring a little, go to the Hotel OOMM and eat at the fabulous Moo, which is under the direction of Joan Roca.

Have fun! I can't wait to get back there.

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>

I just got back from Barcelona and can recommend Tapac 24 -- it's Carles Abellan's new place, more of an authentic tapas bar than Comerc 24 but with the same level of excellence. It's on Diputacio, somewhere around 262. I also really enjoyed Cata 1.81, which is on Valencia 181.  And if you're looking for friendly home food, I loved Casa Marcelino, also on Diputacio, don't have the exact address but it was on the block between Roger de flor and Napoles (I think...)

And, if you're spluring a little, go to the Hotel OOMM and eat at the fabulous Moo, which is under the direction of Joan Roca.

Have fun!  I can't wait to get back there.

It would be helpful to know your food preferences. Hisop continues to offer an excellent superbly creative and reasonably priced menu. We have forthcoming revues of Lasarte and Caelis. We think Hisop and Cinqsentis deserve your immediate consideration for a memorable, reasonably priced BCN dining experience. I would recommend Lasarte and Caelis as superior to the Roca brothers Moo dining adventure. That is our view. We still await Santamaria's latest BCN dining experience. It promises great views of the city. Hopefully the view will match the food. Judith Gebhart

I just got back from Barcelona and can recommend Tapac 24 -- it's Carles Abellan's new place, more of an authentic tapas bar than Comerc 24 but with the same level of excellence. It's on Diputacio, somewhere around 262. I also really enjoyed Cata 1.81, which is on Valencia 181.  And if you're looking for friendly home food, I loved Casa Marcelino, also on Diputacio, don't have the exact address but it was on the block between Roger de flor and Napoles (I think...)

Have fun!  I can't wait to get back there.

It would be helpful to know your food preferences. Hisop continues to offer an excellent superbly creative and reasonably priced menu. We have forthcoming revues of Lasarte and Caelis. We think Hisop and Cinqsentis deserve your immediate consideration for a memorable, reasonably priced BCN dining experience. I would recommend Lasarte and Caelis as superior to the Roca brothers Moo dining adventure. That is our view. We still await Santamaria's latest BCN dining experience. It promises great views of the city. Hopefully the view will match the food. Judith Gebhart

Thanks for the help...much appreciated. I only wish I had more time in BCN this trip. I'm looking for as memorable an experience as possible, and have a pretty adventurous palate. Alkimia was my favorite meal in Barcelona the last time, and have also really loved Arzak and Mugaritz in the Basque region. I can appreciate more traditional fare, too, and food of any ethnicity, but am really looking to have meals that I wouldn't be able to anywhere else. Because it's a quick trip, price isn't really an obstacle...I'm just looking for the best and most interesting places. Also, since I'm leaving on Monday, I don't have the luxury of waiting for upcoming reviews or soon to open venues. Thanks again for input!

I know that you don't have much time in Barcelona, but one possibility to consider would be a short trip up the coast to Sant Pau. IMO that is the best restaurant in the near vicinity of Barcelona. Of the restaurants you mentioned I do not believe that there are any that are head and shoulders above the others. Two that I haven't yet ben to that would arouse my curiosity are Hisop and Cal Pep. While I liked Alkimia very much my preference was for Abac. You should have a gfreat time at El Bulli. I am amazed and disappointed to not have read any reports on the current season so far. I hope that you will remedy that :wink:

Another option to consider for lunch one day would be the Boqueria where there are a number of excellent stalls in an amazing food environment. Unfortunately, I am blanking on the name of the stall that I would most strongly recommend. To me lunch there in this age of globalization remains a unique experience and one of my favorites of Barcelona, my favorite city.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I know that you don't have much time in Barcelona, but one possibility to consider would be a short trip up the coast to Sant Pau. IMO that is the best restaurant in the near vicinity of Barcelona. ....

Another option to consider for lunch one day would be the Boqueria where there are a number of excellent stalls in an amazing food environment. Unfortunately, I am blanking on the name of the stall that I would most strongly recommend. To me lunch there in this age of globalization remains a unique experience and one of my favorites of Barcelona, my favorite city.

In the Boqueria, Bar Pinotxo, Kiosko Universal, Bar Quim and Bar Central are all good. Pinotxo and Quim probably offer a slightly more 'sophisticated' experience in terms of dishes/ingredients. Kiosko Universal has the most seating so is the best bet for a shorter wait. Was it any of these you were thinking of docsconz?

I also second Sant Pau in Sant Pol de Mar. It's an hour each way on the train, so very doable for lunch for example. The mini menus of aperitivos and desserts offer a dazzling range of flavour and texture combinations and the seafood dishes show an expert delicate touch with excellent ingredients. They have Catalan caviar from the Vall d'Aran - Nacarii. Delicious and hard to find elsewhere. The tapas restaurant Rosal 34 (C/Roser 34, Poble Sec) will also have it on their menu next month I think.

But Cinc Sentits is still my personal favourite in Barcelona and has a great seasonal menu at the moment.

I know that you don't have much time in Barcelona, but one possibility to consider would be a short trip up the coast to Sant Pau. IMO that is the best restaurant in the near vicinity of Barcelona. ....

In the Boqueria, Bar Pinotxo, Kiosko Universal, Bar Quim and Bar Central are all good. Pinotxo and Quim probably offer a slightly more 'sophisticated' experience in terms of dishes/ingredients. Kiosko Universal has the most seating so is the best bet for a shorter wait. Was it any of these you were thinking of docsconz?

Bar Quim was the one I was specifically thinking of, although the oothers are good as well. Kiosk Universal is also the simplest of the lot serving plenty of good, simply prepared seafood. Universal is likely the easiest ot replicate or surpass elsewhere as good as it is.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Many thanks to all who have provided input. I've already been to Bar Pinotxo at Boqueria, Cal Pep and Cinq Sentits and I've only been here one day! I'll provide further input on all for the group, but it's off to El Bulli today (after breakfast/lunch at Bar Quim)! Cinq Centits was exactly as described (creative, reasonably priced and special), and the staff could not have been more friendly or knowlegeable. Unfortunately, Lasarte was booked up for the nights I'll be in town, but I do plan on getting to Hisop on Thursday.

With full stomach, but still going....

L

• 1 month later...

Where is everybody?

None of the Barcelona restaurants I've eaten at have been full. Not Gaig, not Hisop, not Abac, not Ot -- and they only have ten tables. I could have walked into any one of those restaurants without a reservation and had dinner.

Is the restaurant scene in Barcelona hurting, or is everyone eating somewhere I don't know about?

A couple of brief notes:

Abac is a perfect restaurant, probably my favorite in Barcelona right now.

Pinotxo in the Boqueria Market is a great place for breakfast or lunch. Order whatever they have cooking; it'll be good.

Tapas at Quimet y Quimet is not to be missed. Again, order whatever they have cooking. Don't bother getting the mix seafood plate; it's all from tins and tastes that way. But everything else is delicious. (I may write this up further later.)

Individual restaurant reviews are elsewhere in this forum.

Bruce

Victor, could you please elaborate?

Is there an overabundance of restaurants, is the lack of clients reflecting a generally weakening economic trend, or is the Catalan/Barcelonian way of life turning away from the restaurant scene in general?

Three recommendations:

Pinotxo Bar in Boqueria Market (off Ramblas). This is a not a restaurant; it's a market stall with tables. It's friendly and informal, and the food is delicious. Order whatever they're cooking; in my experience it's all good.

Quimet & Quimet (Poeta Cabanyes 25, near the funicular stop). This bar and tapas restaurant is tiny, standing room only. It's crowded, and it can be hard to order. But it's definitely worth the trouble. Here are some of the things we had:

<ul><li>pickled onion, anchovy wrapped around an olive.

<li>tuna with red pepper and chopped olive.

<li>smoked salmon on toast with cream cheese, truffle honey, and balsamic.

<li>mixed seafood plate: marinated squid, clams, mussels, etc.

<li>white asparagus wrapped with salmon, olive oil and balsamic.

<li>soft sheep cheese on bread, with a marinated chestnut.

<li>eggplant with parmesan, pimento, olive tepanade, anchovy, olive oil and balsamic.</ul>

The only thing I would recommend not getting is the seafood plate. It all comes out of tins, and it tastes that way. But everything else was delicious.

<a href="http://www.restaurantelalocanda.com">La Locanda</a> (Carrer Dr. Joaquim Pou, 4). We wanted pizza, and the hotel recommended this place in the Barri Gotic. Good Italian-style pizzas. The menu has other basic Italian dishes, which I can't comment on.

Bruce

Is there an overabundance of restaurants?

Possibly the real client base is not as large as the new vave of restaurant openings would indicate, so that supply is outpacing demand. I see a similar situation developing in Madrid over the next year as well.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

After studying the threads on this site I had come up with a long list of restaurants to try for our month long stay in Barcelona. Now that we have returned, I thought I'd share my opinions of where we ate. Remember that I sought out mostly the cheapest places I could, so the big name places will not be on my list. I had to spread out my money! And I tried to stick with traditional Spanish food for the most part, whether Catalan, Galician etc. I must add one more thing....my twin nine-year-old girls tried almost everything, from baby squid in its own ink, to blood sausage! And they didn't just try things, they actually liked things! I was super proud and super impressed! I guess I am doing something right as a foodie mom. : )

PLACES TO GO:

Can Maño in Barceloneta: Simply prepared, dirt cheap, seafood. Fun, crowded little hole in the wall. Good place to meet locals as everyone is practically sitting on top of each other. First time trying cuttle fish....can't say I enjoyed the texture.

Can Bertram in L'Eixample: Home style cooking. These ladies truly are wonderful. The two times we went we were the only tourists there. The paella was good, but the rabbit was super! When we went for paella one Sunday, we actually met the guy, member name "asola," that wrote up the entry about this place on this site! Talk about weird coincidence! Hi asola!

Meson de David: More great food at prices that can't be beat. Had to try that mouth watering lechaso. Nice trout, bean soup, and gazpacho. Forgot the name of their homemade (bright yellow) liqueur that topped off that fresh Galician white wine. Sorry I didn't keep a journal of my tasting. All I remember is that it was made from an herb.

Bar Pinotxo: Should not be missed by anyone who ever ventures to BCN! Hands down!

Bar Universal: Wonderful seafood, should not be missed!

Quim de la Boqueria: Great tapas!

Quimet i Quimet: Tapas bar that should not be missed! So unusual! Loved the wine bottle "wall paper."

Tactica Berri: Tapas bar that should not be missed! Fabulous experience cramming my plate over the bar in other guests faces as the hot tapas came out of the kitchen! All locals there when we went. The wait outside the door before it opened was well worth it!

La Paradeta: Wonderful seafood at reasonable prices. It was fun to pick out the fresh seafood ourselves. First time trying fried baby eels and razor clams! Yum!

Cal Pep: I can understand the mixed reviews this place gets. Bar Pinotxo was better and cheaper. We did however have a great experience as well as good food. The wait could have been grueling had we not met some great people to chat with.

El Xampanyet: Nice old world atmosphere with some good tapas. We did eat bocherones and anchovies, seeing as this place is supposedly known for them. Still can't figure out why they call bocherones, bocherones. Love 'em in vinager!

Fresco: When I started to crave salad, which I always do after a while of experimental eating, I find a salad bar. This place had a decent one. It had a hot bar as well.

Escribá: I am not much of a sweet eater but my daughters very much appreciated the deliciously thick hot chocolate!

Vila Viniteca: Great wine shop!

Falafel stands: For fast, super cheap meals.

PLACES NOT TO GO:

Goliard in Gracia: This was absolutely the worst meal and the worst service we had our entire month there! Rude waiter, and atrocious food! Way overcooked bacalao (cod) and way undercooked kibbe. I have a Syrian friend who told me that kibbe should not be down right raw in the center, just pink. This was R-A-W. Bit of a snooty atmosphere. Terrible experience.

Can Majó in Barceloneta: This was our most exepensive meal in BCN and it was SO not worth it! I wanted to try one of their supposed house specialties "caldo de langosta." It was flavorless. My neighbor in Barceloneta, a woman who was born and raised in that barrio had warned me that the quality of this restaurant has really dropped in recent years. Well, she was right! Staight from a local's mouth.

All in all, as you can see, the good places far outnumbered the bad! If it weren't for this website I have no doubt that I would have made many more eating mistakes! Let's hear it for the eGullet Forum!!! What a wonderful site!! Thank you to those who make it possible!

Edited by Catbrigab (log)

Meson de David:  More great food at prices that can't be beat.  Had to try that mouth watering lechaso.  Nice trout, bean soup, and gazpacho.  Forgot the name of their homemade (bright yellow) liqueur that topped off that fresh Galician white wine.  Sorry I didn't keep a journal of my tasting.  All I remember is that it was made from an herb.

this is most probably orujo de hierbas from galicia.

Hi, catbrigab!

I was waiting to read your report. I'm glad you enjoyed most of the places -though you didn't try my secret place :-). I must say I agree with your take on Goliard, the last time we went there, about three months ago, we bowed never to return. And I was also somewhat disappointed my last time at Can Majó, about a year ago.

Let me tell you, I WAS impressed with your kids, have never seen anyone like them!

Oh, and it wasn't such a weird coincidence, I eat at Can Bertram soooo often this is bound to happen more than once.

PLACES NOT TO GO:

Goliard in Gracia:  This was absolutely the worst meal and the worst service we had our entire month there!  Rude waiter, and atrocious food!  Way overcooked bacalao (cod) and way undercooked kibbe.  I have a Syrian friend who told me that kibbe should not be down right raw in the center, just pink.  This was R-A-W.  Bit of a snooty atmosphere.  Terrible experience.

I must say I agree with your take on Goliard, the last time we went there, about three months ago, we bowed never to return.

this is sad to hear. we had a couple of really nice inexpensive lunches at goliard about a year and a half ago.

Asola. You know I am sorry we didn't get to your "secret place"! The time just ran out and I ran out of steam! I usually tried to combine a visit to a sight, museum etc. with a restaurant in relatively the same area as the sight. Well, toward the end of the month I failed to find a sight to visit near the "secret place." And, I got tired of dragging my kids around! Oh well. And thanks for the compliment about my girls. Compliments like yours remind me that my kids truly are my biggest and most important investment....to put it rather business-like!! In other words, I agree with you!! They are great!

El Cellar de Can Roca offers both a la carte and a fixed price menu; and from what I've read in other posts, chef Joan Roca is also happy to select a surprise menu on request.  Last year, we paid €67 per person for the tasting menu, so I'd imagine that it has gone up slightly this year.  There is some great value on the extensive wine list and we paid €29 for a wine pairing.
November last year I was there for dinner and the next day for lunch - both times the extensive surprise menu. They really managed to have about 10 dishes each meal, totally different, and very interesting. Prices, especially for wines, have always been pretty low in Spain, I think.

I do'nt remember the prices of the fixed price menu, but we paid about 120 € pp, drinks included.

I will go back in October - may be I will report here.

After studying the threads on this site I had come up with a long list of restaurants to try for our month long stay in Barcelona.  Now that we have returned, I thought I'd share my opinions of where we ate.  Remember that I sought out mostly the cheapest places I could, so the big name places will not be on my list.  I had to spread out my money!  And I tried to stick with traditional Spanish food for the most part, whether Catalan, Galician etc.  I must add one more thing....my twin nine-year-old girls tried almost everything, from baby squid in its own ink, to blood sausage!  And they didn't just try things, they actually liked things!  I was super proud and super impressed!  I guess I am doing something right as a foodie mom. : )

PLACES TO GO:

Can Maño in Barceloneta:  Simply prepared, dirt cheap, seafood.  Fun, crowded little hole in the wall.  Good place to meet locals as everyone is practically sitting on top of each other.  First time trying cuttle fish....can't say I enjoyed the texture.

Can Bertram in L'Eixample:  Home style cooking.  These ladies truly are wonderful.  The two times we went we were the only tourists there.  The paella was good, but the rabbit was super!  When we went for paella one Sunday, we actually met the guy, member name "asola," that wrote up the entry about this place on this site!  Talk about weird coincidence!  Hi asola!

Meson de David:  More great food at prices that can't be beat.  Had to try that mouth watering lechaso.  Nice trout, bean soup, and gazpacho.  Forgot the name of their homemade (bright yellow) liqueur that topped off that fresh Galician white wine.  Sorry I didn't keep a journal of my tasting.  All I remember is that it was made from an herb.

Bar Pinotxo:  Should not be missed by anyone who ever ventures to BCN!  Hands down!

Bar Universal:  Wonderful seafood, should not be missed!

Quim de la Boqueria:  Great tapas!

Quimet i Quimet:  Tapas bar that should not be missed!  So unusual!  Loved the wine bottle "wall paper."

Tactica Berri:  Tapas bar that should not be missed!  Fabulous experience cramming my plate over the bar in other guests faces as the hot tapas came out of the kitchen!  All locals there when we went.  The wait outside the door before it opened was well worth it!

La Paradeta:  Wonderful seafood at reasonable prices.  It was fun to pick out the fresh seafood ourselves.  First time trying fried baby eels and razor clams! Yum!

Cal Pep:  I can understand the mixed reviews this place gets.  Bar Pinotxo was better and cheaper.  We did however have a great experience as well as good food.  The wait could have been grueling had we not met some great people to chat with.

El Xampanyet:  Nice old world atmosphere with some good tapas.  We did eat bocherones and anchovies, seeing as this place is supposedly known for them.  Still can't figure out why they call bocherones, bocherones.  Love 'em in vinager!

Fresco:  When I started to crave salad, which I always do after a while of experimental eating, I find a salad bar.  This place had a decent one.  It had a hot bar as well. 

Escribá:  I am not much of a sweet eater but my daughters very much appreciated the deliciously thick hot chocolate!

Vila Viniteca:  Great wine shop!

Falafel stands:  For fast, super cheap meals.

PLACES NOT TO GO:

Goliard in Gracia:  This was absolutely the worst meal and the worst service we had our entire month there!  Rude waiter, and atrocious food!  Way overcooked bacalao (cod) and way undercooked kibbe.  I have a Syrian friend who told me that kibbe should not be down right raw in the center, just pink.  This was R-A-W.  Bit of a snooty atmosphere.  Terrible experience.

Can Majó in Barceloneta:  This was our most exepensive meal in BCN and it was SO not worth it!  I wanted to try one of their supposed house specialties "caldo de langosta."  It was flavorless.  My neighbor in Barceloneta, a woman who was born and raised in that barrio had warned me that the quality of this restaurant has really dropped in recent years.  Well, she was right!  Staight from a local's mouth.

All in all, as you can see, the good places far outnumbered the bad!  If it weren't for this website I have no doubt that I would have made many more eating mistakes!  Let's hear it for the eGullet Forum!!!  What a wonderful site!!  Thank you to those who make it possible!

Thanks for the great report.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a wonderful meal in Cinc Sentits on Saturday. Roser, Amelia and Jordi pulled out all the stops to host a private function for 25 people. It was a surprise birthday party, and yes, my friend was very surprised to see her friends and family in Barcelona (thanks to Silly Disciple for his advice by PM on this).

The food was beautiful, and let me add to the chorus of fans raving about the maple syrup shot... what a great start to the meal. It pains me to mention the utterly delicious foie gras dish... it was so good I am in complete torment about the miles between my greedy palate and Barcelona.

Much has been said about the people at Cinc Sentits, and sometimes this can even be off-putting. You think, they can't be that nice, it must be a bit smarmy. But I cannot say enough. They are the lovliest, most gracious people. Amelia did a great job describing all of the dishes before they were served and we had a most incredible evening. It was particularly good because there really isn't anywhere like this in Dublin (with the exception of one new place which promisees great things, but at Dublin prices).

We had a fantastic meal in Hisop, a brilliant little spot (I mentioned a bit more on the Hisop thread), and some really good suchi and sashimi at Shunka. For anyone who didn't pick up on this place, chef Santemaria mentioned it in his Q & A session with Pedro and I immediatly added it to my list. You need to book a few days in advance, and specify the sushi bar. The service is a bit erratic but the fish is velvety fresh.

Quimet i Quimet was close to our hotel and is a charming little spot. Quirky and great value. But seriously quirky is Silly Disciple's cava spot in Barceloneta, with bottles of cava from 2.80-4.80 euro and the provisio that you must buy two snacks, which are surprisingly good. This place is a load of fun.

We also tried a Galician restaurant which was OK. We got a big platter for two with lobster, crab, mussels clams langoustines and prawns for 68 euro. It wasn't the place recommended on another thread which I must try next time (it looked a little formal and was quite expensive). The place we went to was down the road off the Parrellel, it had a Rafa's look to it, but it was not near as good.

A great trip... but way too short.