• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurant Recommendations

Wilfrid

On short notice I'm going back to BCN this weekend and will have plenty of time to try out some new and refreshing restaurants, both for lunch and dinner.

Tried to pull all the strings in my purse but came up blank at elbulli (Been there thrice, but this year's menu looks interesting), and so far I've got these on my list:

friday night: Restaurant Gamvik (Actually named after a county in Finnmark, Norway, met up with Robert the week after in Oslo and he told me about his idea for the name, and so we've also provided him with the county's weapon/seal, proudly presented on the wall). 1st time, and looking forward to it, anyone been there?

Saturday night: Cal Pep for the n'th time. Just have to come back to meet up with Pep and his marvellous voice, cooking and the atmosphere.

Sunday lunch: L'Esguard, a new one for me, and looking forward to it.

Tried to get into San Pau, but alas: Fully booked...

Looking for new, authentic places, but have already perused lots of places that you normally would recommend: Cinc Sentits, Gaig, Alkimia, Colibri, Cata 181, Gaig, Moo, REl Raco de Can Fabes, Can Roca, Ot, Shanghai, Via Veneto, Neichel, Can MAjo, Bestial, Drolma, Bilbao, Hoffman, etc.

So fellow e-gulleters: Any rec's? It DOES NOT necessarily have to be deeply experimental, rrather that the philosophy is there throughout the whole meal, and preferably with a superb wine list.

Have you tried Comerc 24 or Biblioteca?

I've been to Biblioteca twice, a friend used to work in the kitchen. Let's just say I'm not a huge fan of the place.

Sunday lunch: L'Esguard, a new one for me, and looking forward to it.

Tried to get into San Pau, but alas: Fully booked...

Since you're willing to leave Barcelona, why not try one of the "new wave" of young cooks? I haven't been to any of these places, but I've heard good things about the group, more precisely the ones in L'Escala.

Jordi Jacas , “El Molí de L’Escala”

Jordi Sabadí, “El Roser 2”

Vicens Lavado, “La Gruta”

Looking for new, authentic places, but have already perused lots of places that you normally would recommend: Cinc Sentits, Gaig, Alkimia, Colibri, Cata 181, Gaig, Moo, REl Raco de Can Fabes, Can Roca, Ot, Shanghai, Via Veneto, Neichel, Can MAjo, Bestial, Drolma, Bilbao, Hoffman, etc.

So fellow e-gulleters: Any rec's? It DOES NOT necessarily have to be deeply experimental, rrather that the philosophy is there throughout the whole meal, and preferably with a superb wine list.

A place that in my opinion fits the "authentic and with a philosophy throughout the meal" is Xavi Sagrista's one-star Mas Pau, just outside of Figueres. Disclaimer though: I've just finised a stage there, so my opinion might be biased.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Thanks for the advice so far; yes I've tried Comerc, but forgot to write it down...

I might not venture into the 972 (phone)area this time, that was saved for elbulli which didn't come through though..

There's one good restaurant up close by Montserrat though?

I have been reading through the Barcelona/Catalunya threads until I am crosseyed. There are so many restaurants that are highly reciommended, but what if you had three or four nights and wanted a combination of traditional, and nouveau that don't break the bank? To narrow it down, I would like restaurants that are within commuter rail distance or within Barcelona. Pedro, Bux, VSerna, DocSconz? I pose this question on this thread as it seems to be the same general question. Gracias por sus repuestas!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I have been reading through the Barcelona/Catalunya threads until I am crosseyed. There are so many restaurants that are highly reciommended, but what if you had three or four nights and wanted a combination of traditional, and nouveau that don't break the bank? To narrow it down, I would like restaurants that are within commuter rail distance or within Barcelona. Pedro, Bux, VSerna, DocSconz? I pose this question on this thread as it seems to be the same general question. Gracias por sus repuestas!

10 things/places I wouldn't miss if visiting Barcelona:

1. El Celler de Can Roca.

2. Tapas at Quimet i Quimet.

3. Cinc Sentits.

4. hand cut Jamon Iberico de Bellota at Jamonisimo.

5. Hisop.

6. 70% chocolate rajoles from Enric Rovira.

7. Colibri.

8. Early morning visit to La Boqueria.

9. Montadito and Cava at La Champanyeria, where it not packed with tourists.

10. fresh ice cream at Cremeria Toscana

6 things/places I think are over-hyped:

1. Cal Pep

2. Comerç 24

3. Estrella de Plata

4. Cata 181

5. machine cut ham at La Boqueria

6. Cacao Sampaka

wanted to go all the way up to 10, but can't think of more right now.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

I will reiterate my previous recommendation of Aligue in Manresa. It was worth a trip last year. The cooking was excellent - creative but based upon traditional recipes.

While it unfortunately couldn't work for The Viking, Carme Ruscalleda's Sant Pau was superb when I dined there. It is also easily within rail commuter distance from Barcelona. Indeed the train runs right in front of the restaurant. I would think that would suit your request quite well, Raisa.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Viking (and raisab), you mentioned that you've been to Can Majò already, but have you tried El Suquet de l'Almirall, also in Barceloneta? I had a very good arroz caldoso con bogavante there in July. I don't know what others think of this place, but I rather liked it.

Also, a little further afield, I hear that the seafood at Hispania in Arenys de Mar is not to be missed, especially the escamarlans and the gambes. And I believe it's relatively accessible by train as well.

raisab, I second some of Silly's advice as well. Don't miss Quimet i Quimet or Jamoníssimo and skip Commerç 24.

I, however, disagree with Silly on the merits of Cal Pep. Just go during an off time to avoid the crowds. And, of course, don't miss Pinotxo when you're at la Boqueria!

Brett Emerson

My food blog: In Praise of Sardines

10 things/places I wouldn't miss if visiting Barcelona:

1. El Celler de Can Roca.

2. Tapas at Quimet i Quimet.

3. Cinc Sentits.

4. hand cut Jamon Iberico de Bellota at Jamonisimo.

5. Hisop.

6. 70% chocolate rajoles from Enric Rovira.

7. Colibri.

8. Early morning visit to La Boqueria.

9. Montadito and Cava at La Champanyeria, where it not packed with tourists.

10. fresh ice cream at Cremeria Toscana

6 things/places I think are over-hyped:

1. Cal Pep

2. Comerç 24

3. Estrella de Plata

4. Cata 181

5. machine cut ham at La Boqueria

6. Cacao Sampaka

wanted to go all the way up to 10, but can't think of more right now.

Well, I definetely agree on many of your inputs:

Cinc Sentits: Been there thrice, love it, both for its cooking, the short but well matched wine list, and of course genuinely friendly service.

Colibri: Haven't been there since Robert Serna left to start Gamvik, anyone been there lately?

Jamonissimo: I'll never forget Eyvind Hellstrøm's face (2*chef from Bagatelle in Oslo) as he sampled the first piece of silky Andalucian jamon as we were sampling all the different jamons in the back of the shop.. Priceless!

Enric Rovira: Of course, especially since I've been instrumental in setting up imports in Norway.

Hisop: Might definetely be on the menu this weekend, but is unfortunately closed for sunday dinners...

La Champanyeria: Will try, where is it?

As for your don'ts:

Cal Pep is still to me more of a total experience; The atmosphere, well selected wine list, and always knowing what to expect.

La Estrella de Plata: Couldn't agree more! Over the last 6 years I've seen it decline steadily in all respects, but i thought they went bankrupt earlier this year??

BUT: What I still DO know (Leaving in 6 hours that is) is that I'll definetely be enjoying my 72 hours!!

BTW: Have anyone of you tried Ramon Y Montse, perched high up under the ceiling of the fruit and vegetable section of Mercabarna in Zona Franca?? Seek it out!!

Gaig, Hispania and Can Roca (plan a one-day visit to Girona for this, you won't regret). Hispania is simply traditional Catalonian cuisine of the highest caliber, Gaig is what a chef with his technique and contribution can do with that traditional cuisine that is clearly recognizable and Can Roca, to me, probably is the best restaurant in the country nowadays. And yes, it's a hypermodern one.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

If Can Roca is hypermodern, it is so in a way that's delcious. That's not always what everyone associates with hypermodern cooking. Our last meal there may well have been the finest meal we've had in Catalunya at least. It's really had to make those kinds of statements and given the progress that some other restaurants in the area may made in the years since we've eaten there, they may well have the ability to serve the best meal. From Girona, one would need to take a taxi to Can Roca, which is out of town, but only a short drive away.

Cal Pep was an experience we'd like to forget. We paid for dishes we didn't order or eat and were glad to leave even though we were still hungry. Average food at best and unacceptable service. Perhaps one does better if sitting in front of Pep himelf.

Cinc Sentits is on everyone's list for good reason. Those searching for great food will find this one of the most reasonably priced places on their list. Those looking for great buys, will find this likely the most outstanding restaurant on the list. You should eat there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If Can Roca is hypermodern, it is so in a way that's delcious. That's not always what everyone associates with hypermodern cooking.

On that we agree. Joan Roca is sensible enough that no matter how much technology he uses, it always plays a supporting role, it rarely (if ever) becomes the point of a dish.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

They all sound great, I think Cinc Sentits is a definate as I have my three kids also, (ages 9,12,16). Can Roca maybe...(by ourselves). Hispania sounded great but it may be cost prohibitive with so many of us. Any suggestions on good local cuisine, that a family in Barcelona may go to?

Thank you all so much for all the advice so far. We will be there, the 13th-thru the 17th of October, should I make reservatons yet or wait?

Thanks again!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Cinc Sentits is on everyone's list for good reason. Those searching for great food will find this one of the most reasonably priced places on their list. Those looking for great buys, will find this likely the most outstanding restaurant on the list. You should eat there.

Hi,

I will be going to Spain in early October. This is my tentative food itinerary for barcelona. I'm looking for *great* food w. a balance bet splurge & value, modern & traditional. Since sightseeing is as important as food...so I can't do any day trips for food only.

**Please provide your critique & suggestions

Day 1 - Wed

Lunch - Boqueria Market - Bar Quim? Pinotxo?

Dinner - Cinc Sentits

Day 2 - Thur

Lunch - Quimet y Quimet

Dinner - Abac

Day 3 - Fri

Lunch - El Suquet de l’Almirall ?

Dinner - La Paradeta?

Day 4 - Sat

Breakfast - Pinotxo?

Day Trip to Monserrat

Dinner - Llar del’all I Oli (in Badalona)

btw: How is Sauc?

thanks in advance,

ChowAlf

Hi,

I will be going to Spain in early October. This is my tentative food itinerary for barcelona. I'm looking for *great* food w. a balance bet splurge & value, modern & traditional. Since sightseeing is as important as food...so I can't do any day trips for food only.

**Please provide your critique & suggestions

Day 1 - Wed

Lunch - Boqueria Market - Bar Quim? Pinotxo?

Dinner - Cinc Sentits

Day 2 - Thur

Lunch - Quimet y Quimet

Dinner - Abac

Day 3 - Fri

Lunch - El Suquet de l’Almirall ?

Dinner - La Paradeta?

Day 4 - Sat

Breakfast - Pinotxo?

Day Trip to Monserrat

Dinner - Llar del’all I Oli (in Badalona)

btw: How is Sauc?

thanks in advance,

ChowAlf

This looks like a pretty good itinerary. Another possibility would be Kiosk Universal in the Boqueria for excellent simply grilled seafood. I particularly enjoyed their sardines and razor clams.

How will you be getting to Montserrat. If by car, I would suggest lunch or dinner at Aligue in nearby Manresa.

If you can swing it, I would suggest a day trip for lunch at one of the Michelin 2 or 3 star restaurants such as Sant Pau, Can Roca or Can Fabes. They really are worth it. and there are plenty of sights to see along the way

Don't forget to hit up some Barcelona chocolate places. Despite what Silly D said abaove, Cacao Sampaka is still head and shoulders above most of what you are likely to have experienced. Oriol Balaguer is a great, but less set up for a visit.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This looks like a pretty good itinerary. Another possibility would be Kiosk Universal in the Boqueria for excellent simply grilled seafood. I particularly enjoyed their sardines and razor clams.

How will you be getting to Montserrat. If by car, I would suggest lunch or dinner at Aligue in nearby Manresa.

If you can swing it, I would suggest a day trip for lunch at one of the Michelin 2 or 3 star restaurants such as Sant Pau, Can Roca or Can Fabes. They really are worth it. and there are plenty of sights to see along the way

Don't forget to hit up some Barcelona chocolate places. Despite what Silly D said abaove, Cacao Sampaka is still head and shoulders above most of what you are likely to have experienced. Oriol Balaguer is a great, but less set up for a visit.

Docsconz,

Kiosk Universal sounds great for lunch. I'll also add the chocolate places and Jamonisimo to the itinerary. I'm going to Monserrat by train. I'm abit short on time for this trip . I'll save the 2-3 star food day trips for another time :sad: . Thanks.

Raisab,

For family dining featuring good local cuisine, you should read the "Barcelona Good Value Eating" thread.

ChowAlf

Kiosk Universal sounds great for lunch.  I'll also add the chocolate places and Jamonisimo to the itinerary.  I'm going to Monserrat by train. I'm abit short on time for this trip . I'll save the 2-3 star food day trips for another time :sad: . Thanks.

Unless you must go to Monserrat for other reasons, I would suggest instead spending a day in Girona, which is a lovely city (you can also go there by train) with an extremely old quarter and lots of things to see, and having lunch at Can Roca.

Also, lately I have heard a few so-so reports about Abac (I haven't been there myself yet), so you might want to consider other options instead.

As for Cacao Sampaka, by all means go ahead and check it out, we can compare opinions later. I understand what Doc says in that it is a different concept not likely to be something you have already experienced. In my opinion, nothing I've tasted from them is up to the hype. I find Enric Rovira's chocolate much better. I haven't had anything by Balaguer, so I can't comment on his work.

They all sound great, I think Cinc Sentits is a definate as I have my three kids also, (ages 9,12,16). Can Roca maybe...(by ourselves). Hispania sounded great but it may be cost prohibitive with so many of us. Any suggestions on good local cuisine, that a family in Barcelona may go to?

Thank you all so much for all the advice so far. We will be there, the 13th-thru the 17th of October, should I make reservatons yet or wait?

Thanks again!

raisa, these are a few of the local places I occasionally hit with the family, I think you'll find information about most of them in other threads:

- La Paradeta (for fish and seafood)

- La Bella Napoli (decent pizza, both locations)

- Arroceria Xativa (for good rice at decent prices)

- Yamadory, on the same block as Cinc Sentits (for sushi and japanese food)

- Paco Meralgo (for neatly executed tapas)

- Origens 99.9% (the one on Enric Granados st, which has a lovely terrace, not the one in the Born) I'm not a big fan of this place, but the wife loves it. They also sell Enric Rovira's chocolate rajoles.

- Cremeria Toscana (across Paco Meralgo, for great ice cream)

Cal Pep was an experience we'd like to forget. We paid for dishes we didn't order or eat and were glad to leave even though we were still hungry. Average food at best and unacceptable service. Perhaps one does better if sitting in front of Pep himelf.

That's pretty much my opinion too, adding that I don't really like being served poorly cleaned, oversalted shelfish, or tortilla I didn't order at 12 euros a dish.

And I have sat across from Pep in more than one of the ocasions I ate there. We even hit the place several times, since I was really expecting a great experience. Cal Pep is a few steps away from the Hofmann cooking school, so we've managed to be there early, several times, and during the off-season as well. I have visited it with catalonian friends, who have ordered in catalan, and we still had the same average to poor results.

Buying fresh product (which he clearly does) doesn't guarantee good food if you don't care about manipulating it properly. I think you would expect at least that the stuff is properly cleaned.

Bottom line, I am sure this place has seen better times when it was less well known, but in my opinion it has turned into not much more than a tourist trap.

Kiosk Universal sounds great for lunch.  I'll also add the chocolate places and Jamonisimo to the itinerary.  I'm going to Monserrat by train. I'm abit short on time for this trip . I'll save the 2-3 star food day trips for another time :sad: . Thanks.

I forgot to mention, one of the other "big" names in pastry here is Escribá. They have a shop on Gran via, and a lovely coffee shop on the ramblas. Both are good places to rest after a day walking, have good coffee and great sweets.

Unless you must go to Monserrat for other reasons, I would suggest instead spending a day in Girona, which is a lovely city (you can also go there by train) with an extremely old quarter and lots of things to see, and having lunch at Can Roca.

Also, lately I have heard a few so-so reports about Abac (I haven't been there myself yet), so you might want to consider other options instead.

Silly,

What are the must see sites in Girona?

What are possible options in place of Abac (ie great food, similiar or less price range, within barcelona)?

thanks,

ChowAlf