• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Rose' vs. Other Rose'

Rebel Rose

As it happens, rose' has been on my mind a lot this week. Summer is coming . . .

Last summer, Dan (my SO) was visiting Stefan Asseo at L'Aventure Winery here in Paso Robles, and he came home with 6 delicious bottles of Stefan's rose' as a gift for me. I blew through those bottles; the wine was incredibly good and went with all our light summer fare--antipasto plates, shrimp, pasta salads, etc. When I hoped to get more, I discovered that Stefan was sold out. Lesson learned: I am starting my rose' shopping in April!

And in keeping with that theme, Gabriella Opaz at Catavino has declared April to be "Spanish Rose'" month. But the catch is, you have to taste and compare a Spanish or Portuguese rose' to any rose' of your choice from elsewhere. Sounds like fun, huh?

Catavino also has their own forum, (I love the "virtual tasting" graphic).

Does anyone else have rose' on their wine shopping radar?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Well, with 3-5 inches of snow forecast for today in Minnesota, we're not quite to the rose state of mind yet. When we get there, however, my old standby ones include Rosa del Golfo, Jouget's Chinon Rose, and Domaine de Fonsainte's Corbieres Gris de Gris. And, of course, Bugey Cerdon.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

A couple of weeks ago, on the first warm day of spring, I indulged myself by having my first glass of rose of the spring. Kind of a ritual for me, as my thoughts turn to pink wine as the blossoms come out and the weather warms up.

I had a couple of glasses of the Les Sorts Rosat, from Celler el Masroig in Spain. A garnacha (grenache) based rose that's a deep salmon color, it's like a glass of Mediterranean sunshine to brighten my day. Very strawberry nose and a texture and mouthfeel closer to a very light red than a "pink" wine, if you see the distinction I'm trying to make.

Another favorite of mine, the Domaine de la Courtade L'Alycastre Rose comes from the Île de Porquerolles off the coast of Nice. This is quite literally the sunniest place in France, and the wine is a reflection of that. It is absolutely delcious with the typical Provencal/Mediterranean fare of the region as it goes well with herbal and/or spicy foods. Quaffable stuff that's like a little vacation in a glass. Probably my fave rose of all.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I discovered that Stefan was sold out.  Lesson learned:  I am starting my rose' shopping in April!

OK, where is the CRANKY icon when I need it ! :angry:

I am ALWAYS looking for that dry tasty rose for CRAB and summer backyard treats. I've not been impressed with many that I've tasted on the Central Coast yet. Any other recs?

I have an Adelaida Vin Gris de Pinot Noir 2005 waiting for the right crab to come along. Have you tasted it?

K

I'm starting a quest to find a rose' I like (many I've had don't really do it for me) this spring (although with Milwaukee temps in the 20's, its hard to think like that). My wine store recommended Domaine de Fontsainte 2006 Gris de Gris from Corbieres, France to me. I haven't had it yet, but looking forward to trying it.

I haven't tasted many rose wines but do have a few bottles of M. Chapoutier Tavel Rose 2005 (grenache, I think) in the cellar. This wine has been a steady and flexible performer and, with Easter dinner, nicely hinted of warm weather and flowers with enough stuffing to make the snow on the daffodils seem almost charming.

It might be a bit too much for lighter summer fare but has paired well in the past with more robust seafood dishes.