• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to make entertaining more entertaining

Fat Guy

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the marble rye.

If I bring anything, I will leave it there, or course. And with wine, I don't really care if they don't open it. But I get a little irked when I bring food and they don't put it out. Once we were invited to dinner and we brought a fresh homemade lemon poundcake. They didn't serve it, and AFTER we'd given it to them, they made Betty Crocker brownies.

If I'm hosting a potluck or a barbecue, then bring away and we'll be happy to put your offerings out.

If we've planned a menu with the appropriate wine, then thank you kindly for your gift. Really, you didnt have to bring anything. You are our guests. I'm sure we'll enjoy it greatly another time. We really want to end this meal with chocolate, and can hardly wait for our breakfast of toasted lemon poundcake tomorrow morning.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Ofcourse then there are the parties where you are asked to bring wine, in that case it´s expected that the bottle will be opened.

that's really what annoyed me the most. we asked what we could bring, and they said wine. so we brought wine, expecting it to be opened and enjoyed. but we could have easily brought a dessert or flowers or something instead if they weren't planning on opening the bottle of wine they asked us to bring.