• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese mixed cereal porridge

baroness

I picked up a packet of Youjia brand 'coarse cereal porridge' to try in my electronic rice cooker. The ingredients read: rice, millet, grain sorghum, black rice, crushed corn, red bean, red kidney bean, white kidney bean, Job's tears, glutinous rice. All other information is in Chinese; I tried to post a pic but didn't figure out how, obviously.

Should I soak this before cooking, due to the beans? The mix is vacuum packed, and I don't see the kidney beans... :huh:

Thanks!

I have a similar product (it has red beans but no other beans, and includes yam), and I cook it in my pressure cooker--without soaking--just like I'd cook plain brown rice and it comes out fine.

No pressure cooker here; I try (ha ha ha) to limit my spending on cooking tools. :laugh: I haven't been able to puzzle this rice cooker yet--BUT the setting choices include mixed, brown, and porridge--so I am the puzzled one! I suspect the ingredient list may not be 'spot on' due to translation; I can see mung beans in there, too.

No pressure cooker here; I try (ha ha ha) to limit my spending on cooking tools. :laugh: I haven't been able to puzzle this rice cooker yet--BUT the setting choices include mixed, brown, and porridge--so I am the puzzled one! I suspect the ingredient list may not be 'spot on' due to translation; I can see mung beans in there, too.

Is yours one of those fuzzy logic rice cookers? If I were to make my stuff in my regular, cheap rice cooker I'd do it like brown rice but with more water (my package did have decipherable instructions about rice-water ratios), with no presoaking or anything. For your rice cooker I'd guess the porridge setting would be good, but I don't really know anything about it. My rice cooker will never break, enabling my to get a fancy new one!