• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Make-ahead vegetable sides

snowangel

Once again, we're going to a potluck, and I've volunteered for vegetable side dish(es).

I need to take two, and one can be briefly re-heated in the oven, but what do you do for vegetable sides that can be served (safely, of course) at room temp?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I make a nice combination of julienned zucchini, tomatoes, onions and garlic, along with some little artichokes that I trim up and cut in quarters and place in acidulated water. I then put the whole mess in my saute pan, cover with a parchment round, place lid on pan and cook over low heat until soft. Dress the whole mess with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Great warm or cold.

The amounts would be 4 medium zucchini, 4 tomatoes, 1 onion and 1 clove garlic, 10 small artichokes. About 1 tbsp vinegar.

I like roasted cauliflower at room temp, but that could be a weird "me" thing. Building on Kerry's idea, some roasted veggies (I'm thinking carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions) with balsamic would be nice at room temp.

How about smashed peas with mint? Nice and springy!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I even like the roasted cauliflower cold. I roast up a couple of heads, munch away when I'm making it. The rest goes into the fridge to be snacked on or added to creamy pasta sauce.

Broccoli and cherry tomatoes with a mustard viniagrette.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I like roasted cauliflower at room temp, but that could be a weird "me" thing.  Building on Kerry's idea, some roasted veggies (I'm thinking carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions) with balsamic would be nice at room temp.

I agree about roasted veggies at room temp--cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms are all good. I do the asparagus for parties with shaved parmigiano on top.

Also, maybe it's a little too exotic for this gathering, but I made a cactus paddle casserole for a party last year as a side dish/vegetarian entree that won rave reviews. It was from The Food and Life of Oaxaca, but I could PM the recipe, if you want.

That reminds me of another. Grilled or steamed asparagus in a nice lemon-garlic vinaigrette. The vinaigrette does have an odd tendency to become pink, but tastes marvelous.

Steamed okra tastes wonderful dressed this way too, but given peoples very strong opinions on okra, perhaps not the best for a party.

Sesame mayonnaise is a nice dressing for asparagus that doesn't turn it army green. (Is there still such a thing as army green, now that we fight our wars in the desert?)

Caponata is yummy.

A great, easy favorite of mine for like situations is a sweet/sour Chinese pickled cabbage. If that's not too much like salad, I'll be happy to give you the recipe.

A great, easy favorite of mine for like situations is a sweet/sour Chinese pickled cabbage. If that's not too much like salad, I'll be happy to give you the recipe.

Banging hand on forehead, how could I forget the Everyday Daikon and Carrot Pickle from "In the Vietnamese Kitchen?" Thanks for the reminder about an Asian pickle.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Carrot salad.

Use either whole carrots peeled and sliced, or those "baby" carrots cut in quarters lengthwise. Put the carrots in boiling water for about 5 minutes -- you want them cooked al dente -- then drain. Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, finely chopped parsley, salt and pepper -- drizzle in the oil while mixing so it gets emulsified. Pour the dressing over the carrots and toss. Store in large zipper bags with the extra dressing, so you can easily mix in the bag before serving in bowls. You can make this a day or more ahead, and it's great at room temperature.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Try mixing halved cherry tomatoes and pitted chopped kalamata olives, in roughly a 3:1 ratio. Mix 'em up with your hands, sort of squishing it all together. Then toss with a little olive oil and vinegar (not balsamic, an herb kind works well). Let that marinate overnight, and when you pull it out of the fridge to take, add freshly ground black pepper and either basil or chives. This is one of my favorite lighter side dishes.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Cooked broccoli, chilled and dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. Shave parmigiano reggiano on top. I also like to add some crushed red pepper flakes.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Carrots. Julienned or 1/8-inch slices, cover in pan and cook for 5 minutes with a little orange juice and a little butter or neutral oil (not EVO!), then uncover and add your choice of flavor (I like just a light touch of minced fresh ginger) and cook for another couple of minutes. Carrots should be just barely tender. Serve at room temperature. If you didn't add a contrary flavor during cooking, top with freshly chopped mint.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

caponata.

the end-of-summer green beans from Molly Stevens' All about Braising (I make them year round :raz: - I have also made the recipe with runner beans, and this will be on my birthdaybuffet for sure!)

lightly cooked fennel with a vinaigrette and some toasted pistachios sprinkled on top.

slow roast tomatoes.

grilled slices of aubergine, marinated with lemon and basil or mint.

Edited by Chufi (log)