• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jimmy Buff's in the Star Ledger

John

In today's Star Ledger, there is a review of Jimmy Buff's Italian Hot Dogs and a brief history of how they began the Italian Hot Dog which is unique to N.J. They are running a special to commemorate their 70th birthday. Buy one sandwich and get another for 5 cents.

John the hot dog guy

An Italian Hot Dog is a sandwich which originated and is sold exclusively in N.J. It consists of an all beef hot dog (usually Best's brand) served on a quarter part of round pizza bread (half for a double) with peppers, thick potato chunks, and onions. Meat and vegetables and potatoes all deep fried and thrown into the open bread pocket. Jimmy Buff's is the original. They also have the most grease. Everything is cooked in a large rectangular pit filled about an inch with oil.

Other places (Tommy's, Charlie's, Dickie Dees) throws the ingredients in a deep fryer when an order is made. Less greasy, because it isn't sitting in a grease pit. Both types are good; depends on how much grease you're in the mood for. BTW, my daughter works at Charlies, so I get a free one now and then.

John the hot dog guy

John, you are a true hot dog master.

Is the Star Ledger piece online? If so can you give us a link?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

J-Buffs used to be one in West Caldwell where Luce' (formerly mezza notte)is now. Some good hot dogs. Not only deep fried but they used a sink like frier to soak the potatoes in fat until your ready to eat them. The blacker the oil the more flavor the dogs. Nothing like the dirty water dogs served today.

one location is 390 Belleville Pike in North Arlington, about a block west of Schuyler Avenue. Other locations include Scotch Plains (2581 Route 22) and Irvington (4 Emwood Avenue at Springfield Av)

They also make a wicked plate of hash browns with red peppers and all the grease you want. Not on Dr Atkins recommended list...

Jimmy Buff's

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Does that "Newark-style Hot Dogs" place on Route 1 that's painted like an Italian flag sell the same type of hot dog? I'm not sure exactly which town that is (Edison?), but I've always been curious about that place.

There was also a jimmy buff's in west orange nj in the 70's off of washington street (in the valley), I remember them exactly as they were described. Lots of food and hard to eat cleanly if you were a kid. Haven't been to West Orange in years but I assume jimmy buffs is no longer there.

The other famous Italian Hot Dog places include Charlies Famous on Michigan Ave. in Kenilworth. Real easy to get to from the Parkway. Get off exit 138 and turn left on the Boulevard. 2nd or 3rd light, make a left onto Michigan Ave. About 50 feet away on the left. This place also makes a great cheesesteak on the circular Italian bread. Less grease and more vegetables than Jimmy Buff's.

Charlies Son's is on Springfield Rd right off rt 22 in Union. Similar to the other Charlies as they had the same owner many years ago.

Tommy's in Elizabeth is located on 2nd Ave and Elizabeth Ave. A walkup storefront, many people consider this place the best when it comes to Italian Hot Dogs. They have the best potatoes. And they have the best sausage if you'd rather have a sausage sandwich.

Dickie Dees is located on Bloomfield Ave in Newark. Ok, but smaller and not as good as the others in my opinion. I have a friend who lives within walking distance of this place, but she gets on rt 22 and travels to Charlies Sons when she's in the mood for an Italian Hot Dog.

Frank's Newark Style Hot Dogs is on rt 1 in Edison. Pretty good, but they use a different brand of hot dog that isn't as good as Best's (which is a dog made in Newark).

As for my own unbiased opinion, I always preferred Charlies Famous because they gave the most vegetables and had real good peppers. Then recently I noticed that the potatoes aren't as good. My daughter couldn't tell me why. Still good, but I would say the best are Tommy's or Jimmy Buff's depending on if you like a lot of grease. I know people who love Italian Hot Dogs, but hate Jimmy Buff's. A lot of people. They (Buff's) are cooked in and stay in the steel pit, while the others are deep fried in baskets. When you take a Jimmy Buff's sandwhich home, you have to keep the bag on the floor so the grease doesn't get on the seat. And Buff's has a distinct smell. My family is nauseated by it. I like it.

For some reason, only Jimmy Buff's is open Sunday night. I like to enjoy a few beers Sunday and follow them with an Italian Hot Dog while watching Six Feet Under and the rest of HBO's programs. Since They are closeby and my only choice, I've been getting them a lot on Sunday. As a result, I've come to acquire a taste for them. I guess all that grease goes good with a few beers. Anyway, I would rate Jimmy Buff's and Tommy's the best followed by both Charlies places. But everyone has different tastes. If you try Charlies in Kenilworth, say hi to my daughter Meghan. And don't tell her that I prefer the other 2. Her place still gives you the most and is damn good. Check out Holly's site for pictures and reviews.

John the hot dog guy