• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent Closings Unheralded

chefdavidrusso

He is basically telling us that he has some dirty laundry that he does not want to talk about

Hank, please be certain that you differentiate between your inferences and what I actually said. Never did I say, imply, or otherwise indicate that the "other problems" were necessarily dirty. There are many, many things that can contribute to a restaurant closing - all of which fall under that umbrella of "other problems." Yes, some of those reasons may be less than savory, but there are alot of them that are perfectly innocent. I simply chose not to elaborate. You ask, "how in God's name can we not infer that there is something drastically wrong with either Shelton personally or his Inn." What you choose to infer is your own domaine and no one elses. Please do not attempt to shift that responsibility to me.

At this point, several things are obvious to me. First - you will not be satisfied with what I have said so far. Second - I am not going to say any more. So I would like to suggest that this particular portion of the discussion come to a gentle close. I stand by my post, along with everything that was and was not said in it. If not everyone agrees, I can certainly respect that. But a protracted volley of "you said, I said" will benefit no one.

AMEN

Hank

Good morning....I am a lay person who loves really outstanding food. I can only speak for myself but I totally disregard journalists, food writers, etc, who write a "review" and either do not know food well enough to discuss the good and the bad or just do not do so. That is why I enjoy papers like the New York TImes..I may not always agree but over the years I have gleaned much valuable information from their reviews. Just writing the positives is NOT a review...and a waste of the reader's time.

All that being said, we have had some of the best meals ever at The Ryland Inn...but that was many years ago..Sadly, we saw a decline in food as well as service...and when that happens we just vote with our feet and sadly, go elsewhere...and for me, that means into New York CIty. We WILL not pay New York prices for mediocre food and service!!

I understand someone choosing not to post private conversations here..However, it is sort of teasing us to hint and then partially disclose...but I do understand Chef David's reasons...I hope we can all move on now.... :smile:

Everyone,

I am closing this topic as it appears to have reached the end of it's life and is headed in a direction in which speculation and off-topic messages are the main focus.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin