• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chronicle Top 100 2007

eje

Today the Chronicle published it's annual round up of the top 100 Bay Area restaurants.

Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants

Clearly, 2006 was the year of the communal table, a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be nearly as strong in New York and other dining destinations. Just about every restaurant that opened, or is going to open, devotes space to a large table where friends and strangers can gather. Several of these spots, including Nopa, Perbacco and Terzo, made this year's Top 100.

Communal tables seem to be the logical progression from open kitchens, counter seating and large informal lounges. Like many trends, it has a sociological basis. As we've become more disconnected by the Internet, and less connected by face-to-face interaction, restaurants are increasingly a way to get acquainted with neighbors.

An "interesting" new feature on the Top 100 website is a 360 view of the interior of each restaurant. They also include handy links to the restaurants' websites, and a Google maps link for each restaurant.

This year 64 out of the 100 are in San Francisco proper. Well, there is one that is in both San Francisco and Lafayette. In any case, after several years of sliding the other way, this year is the second increase in the San Francisco to out of town ratio.

And, oh my gosh, Matterhorn is no longer on the list!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Yes, Matterhorn is still on the list.

At least in the print version, seems to be missing from the web listing???

Today the Chronicle published it's annual round up of the top 100 Bay Area restaurants.

Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants

Clearly, 2006 was the year of the communal table, a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be nearly as strong in New York and other dining destinations. Just about every restaurant that opened, or is going to open, devotes space to a large table where friends and strangers can gather. Several of these spots, including Nopa, Perbacco and Terzo, made this year's Top 100.

Communal tables seem to be the logical progression from open kitchens, counter seating and large informal lounges. Like many trends, it has a sociological basis. As we've become more disconnected by the Internet, and less connected by face-to-face interaction, restaurants are increasingly a way to get acquainted with neighbors.

An "interesting" new feature on the Top 100 website is a 360 view of the interior of each restaurant. They also include handy links to the restaurants' websites, and a Google maps link for each restaurant.

This year 64 out of the 100 are in San Francisco proper. Well, there is one that is in both San Francisco and Lafayette. In any case, after several years of sliding the other way, this year is the second increase in the San Francisco to out of town ratio.

And, oh my gosh, Matterhorn is no longer on the list!

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Matterhorn is listed on the web under "T" for "The Matterhorn ..." :huh::huh:

It looks like all the restaurants I'll be going to during the end of April are listed in the Top 100, except for one ... in Sonoma ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

It looks like all the restaurants I'll be going to during the end of April are listed in the Top 100, except for one ... in Sonoma ...

Ah, oops, my mistake.

Cheesy goodness preserved.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hey Russell, what restaurants have you decided on for this trip?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Ah, oops, my mistake.

Cheesy goodness preserved.

We might need to persuade Michael Bauer to post here and give the real story why this fortress of fondue remains on the list

And, yes, please rjwong let us know about your plans.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Swicks, PamelaF et al.

I'll let y'all know about my "California Culinary Pilgrimage", which starts at the end of April. Details will come after Easter, in a separate thread.

Shhh ... let's keep this a secret for now ...

Now back to our regularly-scheduled topic ...

Were there any inclusions/exclusions that you were surprised about in the list? Why?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Were there any inclusions/exclusions that you were surprised about in the list? Why?

I'm probably in the minority but I don't get the love for The Slanted Door. At least not its most current incarnation. I feel like it's shifted to a cocktails-and-views place. The food doesn't stand out and the decor seems chilly in a cafeteria kind of way.

I was curious about Nopa's rapid rise. Granted, I've only eaten there once but it was such that I wouldn't go out of my way to return. We tried lots of stuff but only the flatbread was truly delicious. The chicken I've heard raves about was dry and quite bland, and the fries were flabby. Off night?

Very happy to see Clementine on the list. I've had many, many wonderful meals there. Chapeau! is comparable in many ways, but it's so noisy and the tables so wedged together that I think Clementine is the better of the two.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Swicks, PamelaF et al.

I'll let y'all know about my "California Culinary Pilgrimage", which starts at the end of April. Details will come after Easter, in a separate thread.

Shhh ... let's keep this a secret for now ...

Now back to our regularly-scheduled topic ...

No problem. I look forward to that discussion as I travel to San Francisco quite frequently and love the restaurant scene there.

I, for one, was happy to see Town Hall's inclusion on the list. I typically try to eat dinner there every time I get to the city. I was first taken there by a female friend of mine a few years back and most times I am back in the city we regularly have dinner there, its kind of "our spot" so I hold a special place for it.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Very happy to see Clementine on the list.  I've had many, many wonderful meals there. Chapeau! is comparable in many ways, but it's so noisy and the tables so wedged together that I think Clementine is the better of the two.

Thanks for that heads-up. While walking that end of the Clement neighborhood yesterday (first time!) on the way to Burma Superstar, I realized where Clementine is and will look forward to going back there soon (we spend a lot of time in that neighborhood for its pool tables... :raz: )