• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lentils

menon1971

I am presently mulling over a recipe for lentil stew and was wondering what folks use for soups of various types, salads, side dishes, etc. Is there a lentil thread somewhere on eGullet? I know that some varieties break down when cooked and might be best for pureed items and that some hold their shape. Also which have the best/most distinctive flavor? Any advice or references would be helpful. Thanks.

I am presently mulling over a recipe for lentil stew and was wondering what folks use for soups of various types, salads, side dishes, etc. Is there a lentil thread somewhere on eGullet? I know that some varieties break down when cooked and might be best for pureed items and that some hold their shape. Also which have the best/most distinctive flavor? Any advice or references would be helpful. Thanks.

I just did this soup using French Lentils from Whole Foods or I also found them at Central Market here in Austin

French Lentil Soup with Garlic Sausage

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup diced carrots, (about 2 medium carrots cut into ¼ inch dices)

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup diced celery (about 2 medium stalks cut ¼ inch dices)

6 ounces fully cooked garlic sausage such as kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch dice (see note)

3 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled

2 teaspoons dried thyme

9 cups beef stock

2 bay leaves, broken in half

1 pound (2 cups) green French lentils (see note)

1 teaspoon (about) kosher salt to taste

¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley garnish

Heat oil in a large pot with a lid medium heat. When hot, he carrots, onion and celery, cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic and thyme, cook 1 minute more.

Add stock and bay leaves, and mixture to a simmer over neat. Add the lentils, reduce cover and cook at a gentle simmer until tender, about 50 minutes.

Remove and discard the bay leaves.

Then remove as many garlic pieces as you can find and combine with 1/2 cup of solids strained from the soup mixture.

Puree the garlic and solids in a food processor or place in a small bowl and smash with the lack of a fork. Stir the pureed mixture back into the pot. Season soup with salt to taste. (If you used reduced-sodium stock, you will need to add a generous 'mount – about 1 teaspoon salt.) Ladle soup into 6 soup bowls and garnish each with parsley.

Note: Reduced-fat turkey kielbasa works fine in this recipe. Green French lentils, often called Puy lentils, can be found in some supermarkets (such as Whole Foods and Wild Oats) and specialty food stores.

I found a few threads that might be helpful...

French Green Lentils, Your favourite way to cook them

Umbrian Lentils from Spoleto, Do you know anything about them?

Red Lentils, what are these? Indian Grains and Legumes, 101, Newbie Nessa strikes again... help?

Lentils..., ...that rock

Lentil and Spinach Soup, How do you make yours?

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

i made lentejas (lentil and chorizo stew) yesterday and kelsie filmed it for our next youtube installment.

the last time we were in barcelona i bought 5 kg of brown lentils. they're small, kind of the same size as puy lentils. i love their earthy taste. and when they cook they don't break down into mush like green or red lentils.

i also like using these kind for lentil salad.

for minestrone i like the larger green ones. and red lentils are also good for dhals as well as puree dips. i think there's a recipe for a red lentil puree in matthew berry's book The New Vegetarian.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will look for French lentils next time I am at our brand spanking new Whole Foods. Does anyone know of a annotated list of the various lentils and their respective uses - yellow, red, green, brown, etc.?