• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North 44

Marlene

This coming weekend is Easter, but it's also our anniversary, so we are spending the weekend in the city. We're dining at Opus friday night for our anniversary dinner, but we are thinking of North 44 on Sat. We're also looking to scope it out for a private function for about 30 people or so. I haven't seen much written about it on this forum. Anyone been lately?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I can not remember the last time I was there. I think it may have been a year ago? Each time I think about going back I look at the prices and pass. When I was there I recall it was good but not worth the $$$$. I have no idea how much a private function would cost, I would think alot!

officially left egullet....

North 44 is always reliable...thats why it's been around so long. It has very good food, possibly a bit expensive, but solid food and service.

Either way, I would skip N44 and go for either Splendido, or Scaramouch, for equally reliable, better food.

I would recommend either Splendido or Perigee for your meal.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Thanks, I know that Spledidio and Perigee are good restaurants, which is why I didn't need to ask about them!

Price is not an issue for the private event as it is a corporate event and a fairly big deal. I'm still leaning towards trying North 44. I haven't heard anything bad yet except its pricey. Opus is pricey too!

Marlene

I cannot speak from personal experience but I know a few business acquaintances who will not go there anymore based on service issues and the food being "okay" to use their description. I do trust their opinions on restaurants/food. Is there a particular reason you would gravitate towards it rather than another, or just curiousity? I have attended private events at North 44 before and everything was great, but it's been a few years and I did not organize them.

In terms of this weekend's dinner it is partly yes to scope out a place for the corporate function, but also to have a place where my husband is comfortable with the menu. He's not an adventerous eater, and the menu appeals to him. Given my choice, I would have probably picked Truffles, just to try it, but I know he won't like it. Since its his anniversary as much as it is mine, I should try to find a place that he will like.

For the corporate affair, again, the menu has a wide cross section of appeal for a group who are not particularly into food. For example, we did Susur last year, and while I loved it, most of the group was underwhelmed because its not the kind of food they are used to". For those reasons, I like the menu at North 44 better than the ones at Perigee or Spendido.

Marlene

Thanks, I  know that Spledidio and Perigee are good restaurants, which is why I didn't need to ask about them! 

Price is not an issue for the private event as it is a corporate event and a fairly big deal.  I'm still leaning towards trying North 44.  I haven't heard anything bad yet except its pricey.  Opus is pricey too!

Keep in mind, it was not good enough for me to even remember when I was there.

Thanks, I  know that Spledidio and Perigee are good restaurants, which is why I didn't need to ask about them! 

Price is not an issue for the private event as it is a corporate event and a fairly big deal.  I'm still leaning towards trying North 44.  I haven't heard anything bad yet except its pricey.  Opus is pricey too!

Keep in mind, it was not good enough for me to even remember when I was there.

True, although in reading the latest Toronto Life, North 44 still gets 4 stars where Perigee gets 3 1/2. I think we'll try it, since no one seems to have been lately.

Marlene

True, although in reading the latest Toronto Life, North 44 still gets 4 stars where Perigee gets 3 1/2. I think we'll try it, since no one seems to have been lately.

Valid point. I have not been to Perigee so I really could not compare the two.

Marlene; one of the reason Mr McKeown(North44) gets four stars is because he is the darling of the Toronto press. His food was great now it is just good-he is never there and much more interested in his catering or in Bymark.

I would rather go to Splendido or to that other old standby Scaramouche, but that is only my $0.02

Marlene; one of the reason Mr McKeown(North44) gets four stars is because he is the darling of the Toronto press. His food was great now it is just good-he is never there and much more interested in his catering or in Bymark.

I would rather go to Splendido or to that other old standby Scaramouche, but that is only my $0.02

I guess that's why Toronto Life gives Bymark only three stars. :blink:

I wasn't actually expecting Mark to be in the kitchen, but we shall go and see what it's like.

Marlene

... and he won't be in the kitchen. Sash will, and he's a great chef, but there are certainly better meals to be had. North44 is coasting on it's reputation built in the 90's. I've had numerous expense account meals in the past year at North44 and I can't for the life of me remember a single course.

Have you considered Cava? Perigee is wonderful as well, of course. Splendido is another good suggestion. I'd also throw Scaramouche as a consideration for a romantic meal.

Cava didn't thrill me. Service was problematic and while the food was good, it was overpriced for what it was. It wouldn't suit the romantic meal they're looking for, the room is quite loud.