• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken breasts (boneless)!

sgschef

You could dip each piece in egg, then bread with corn flake crumbs (or pretzel crumbs, or similar), then bake in the oven at a high temperature so you get a nice crust.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Help!!!

I need to make chicken for tomorrow night and none of my usual recipes sound good to me.  I need something very easy-not sauteing all 30 pieces!  Do you have something T&T and delicious??

How about making a mix of melted shallot, tarragon, salt and pepper, EZ olive oil, slipping it under the skin (is this skin on, or skinless?), and roasting them off? Actually, doing something like this for tonight's grub - except, searing the breasts, and will be basting with a jus of stock, tarragon, tomato, mushroom.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

We just made a huge batch of skinless boneless chicken breasts. They were big teardrop shape, so I butterflied them in half. Dragged them through some flour with S&P and parmesan cheese all mixed up in it. Then dragged them through a egg wash, then dipped into Italian fine bread crumbs.

Fried them golden brown and stacked them on a cookie sheet (there were probably 24 breasts all together).

Then I cleaned the hot frying pan under cold water, added more EVOO and butter, then some chopped onion, and then a bunch of chopped portabellas. Deglazed with Dry Sack white wine, added some flour to make a roux. Added some turkey stock, and 2 cups of heavy cream. S&P to taste, juice of one lemon, and a bunch of chopped chives. Topped it off with some Hennesey Cognac.

In the rice cooker, white basmati rice with sliced carrots, leeks, and celery.

Makes lots of lunches for next week as well as a fine dinner tonight!

doc

I took from your original recipe that you didn't want something where you had to bread and fry a zillion breasts... Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I have made this Chicken Paprikas recipe from Emeril that uses boneless skinless breasts, and thought it was delicious. Note that the first time I made it I didn't have hot paprika and subbed a smaller amount (maybe 3/4 tsp) of cayenne and that was just fine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_18332,00.html

Emily

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not a fan of chicken breast. I prefer dark meat, and I usually find breast meat dry and bland. However, I almost always buy whole chickens, and so regularly have to find ways to use the breast meat. I always debone breasts (I don't see any point breasts bone-in, as the meat furthest from the bone dries out by the time the meat by the bone is cooked). I have a favourite method for boneless, skin-on breasts, but given that you have thirty breasts, I am gathering that you are talking about boneless, skinless. Here is my preferred method for boneless, skinless

1. Mix up large quantity of buttermilk with herbs (I like thyme), honey, mustard, chunks of apples or pear (important), a generous amount of salt, pepper, garlic, onions, etc.

2. Place chicken breasts in large roasting pan and cover with buttermilk mixture. Cover as tightly as possible with foil.

3. "Poach" breasts in very low oven, until breasts are just cooked. I think I might actually cook the chicken to slightly underdone, to compensate for the resting period. The chicken will "marinate" while it's cooking.

4. Remove breasts, let rest.

5. Strain poaching liquid, and reduce to make sauce. Sometimes I add a thickening agent to the sauce, but usually find that this is not necessary.

6. Cut chicken in slices, against the grain, and serve with sauce.

I find that although simple, the chicken is very flavourful. More important, the procedure is not labour intensive.