• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our Portland trip

^We did eat a few bites of everything when it came hot out of the kitchen. We just couldn't finish it. We wouldn't have wanted to taste it for the first time after it's been sitting in a box for a few hours. That would've been a grave disservice to the food.

Wow! You did far better in PDX in 52 hours than I did in 72! Of course, only one of my party was even slightly interested in food--the rest were all more interested in other things. The nerve!

BTW, it's Sahagun, not Sagahun. I think...

Pam recommended this last night when we were talking about Pearl bakery, but it didn't look fattening enough...so I passed.

What? Did I neglect to tell you they dip them in butter to get the sugar to stick? :laugh: They do! Really!

I'm so glad you two had a good time while you were here. And thank you so much for treating me to lunch at Salumi while I was up there. It was wonderful! :wub: I hope to chow again with the two of you soon!

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

but rona, you got to simpatica for breakfast, so that counts for something!

regards,

trillium

And I met you after almost 10 years of "knowing" you! That made the trip!

BTW, Lorna, did you get to try the pepitapapa (sp???) from Sahagun? The caramel was also my favourite, but the pepitapapa was also right up there. Same with the other similar one, made with corn kernels, I think??? I can't remember now.

After reading all your food adventures, I'm thinking of the next time I can visit Portland. I want to try some of those places, too! Next time, no relatives will be informed of my visit, so I can plan my trip entirely around food!

Pam recommended this last night when we were talking about Pearl bakery, but it didn't look fattening enough...so I passed.

What? Did I neglect to tell you they dip them in butter to get the sugar to stick? :laugh: They do! Really!

A mere butter-dip is nothing compared to thin sheets of dough laminated again and again with butter! :wink:

So nice meeting you too! We can't wait to eat in Portland again!

Edited by Ling (log)

BTW, Lorna, did you get to try the pepitapapa (sp???) from Sahagun?  The caramel was also my favourite, but the pepitapapa was also right up there.  Same with the other similar one, made with corn kernels, I think???  I can't remember now.

Chocolate and corn kernels? No, I must've missed that one! I'll be sure to try it next time if they have it.

I swear someone mentioned Rogue Cremery somewhere...an Oregon cheese maker? I think it was Arne, though I can't find the post now. Anyway, I found out that Beecher's at Pike Place carries four of RC's cheeses. I bought the one that's aged for over a year in pear brandy soaked grape leaves. It's awesome! Ate it in steak sandwiches today. This was also my first time making naan. :raz:

453601682_8a5331804f.jpg

Rogue is out of southern Oregon (Central Point, near the Rogue River, about 10 or 15 miles north of Ashland). Their smoked blue and chipotle cheddar are especially well-regarded. I don't know if they make their Rogue River Blue anymore, but that was my favorite of theirs. They have a decent punch and complexity, but a relatively smooth finish, too.

http://www.roguecreamery.com

PS: Could you please fedex one of those sandwiches to me right away, hold the tomato. ;-)

^Yes, that was the Rogue River blue! It was just over $30/lb at Beecher's. BTW, I found out that I had read about it in this month's Bon Appetit. In the magazine, it said this particular cheese has to be reserved a year in advance, but I guess we can get our hands on it up here.

Edited by Ling (log)

I just looked in the refrigerator at my booty from Beecher's last Saturday, and wow... you're right... I never realized I was paying $30.95/lb for that cheese. But it is certainly worth it.

Tonight I baked a bit on a baguette with asparagus, onions, slathered with a bit of brown butter. Intense. Dangerous.

Hiromi is quite addicted to blue cheese in general, and that one in particular... whenever I have the Rogue River blue handy she eats most of it.

^Yes, that was the Rogue River blue! It was just over $30/lb at Beecher's. BTW, I found out that I had read about it in this month's Bon Appetit. In the magazine, it said this particular cheese has to be reserved a year in advance, but I guess we can get our hands on it up here.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please