• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Re-Using Poaching Liquid

Waterzoy

I've just poached a duck (for roasting later) in a liquid made up of chicken stock, soy sauce, chinese wine, a bit of honey and star anise. My recipe says that after cooling and de-greasing the poaching liquid can be frozen and used again. How many times is it safe to cook, freeze and re-use this liquid?

Also, a lot of fat has risen to the top. What can I use this fat for given that it has risen from such a strongly flavoured liquid?

Thanks.

(edited to correct spelling)

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

I have poaching liquids that I have kept for years. I use them every month or so and strain and refreeze then when i am done.

As for the fat...fry something that itself has a neutral flavor so that it picks up the flavors in the fat. Potatoes are always a good choice for duck fat and tofu comes to mind given the spice you have mentioned.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

My mother's poaching liquid has been around for years. It's fabulously delicious!

I also know of Restaurants (in Asia) who are famous for their legendary years old poaching liquid.

As long as you are careful with the liquid afterwards. Make sure to boil the liquid and strain it before storing the liquid. As for the fat, my family leaves the fat on the liquid because it's a great way of preserving the liquid as well.

And also, everytime you re-use the liquid, you have to add more ingredients into the liquid to reflavor the sauce.

Edited by XiaoLing (log)

My mother's poaching liquid has been around for years. It's fabulously delicious!

I also know of Restaurants (in Asia) who are famous for their legendary years old poaching liquid. 

As long as you are careful with the liquid afterwards. Make sure to boil the liquid and strain it before storing the liquid.  As for the fat, my family leaves the fat on the liquid because it's a great way of preserving the liquid as well.

And also, everytime you re-use the liquid, you have to add more ingredients into the liquid to reflavor the sauce.

XiaoLing: Rachellindsay may be talking about a different liquid - poaching as opposed to your braising liquid?

I know "lo siu" is used again and again - the more times, the better the flavour.

I use my braising liquid, then save it in containers in the freezer, freshen with more flavouring ingredients, then freeze again. The fat should be kept on top as a sealant. I suppose you could stir-fry vegetables with the fat. :unsure:

This was the sixth use of this batch: braised pork butt with lobak and see goo:

gallery_13838_4437_8733.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

XiaoLing: Rachellindsay may be talking about a different liquid - poaching as opposed to your braising liquid?

I know "lo siu" is used again and again - the more times, the better the flavour.

I use my braising liquid, then save it in containers in the freezer, freshen with more flavouring ingredients, then freeze again. The fat should be kept on top as a sealant. I suppose you could stir-fry vegetables with the fat. :unsure:

I thought she was talking about lo siu. :huh:

Edited by XiaoLing (log)