• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lady M Confections

Hard to believe there isn't a topic on this one yet!

I try to go to Lady M (at 78th and Madison) at least once every couple of months to sample the Mille Crêpes and an individual pot of the Lady M Grey tea. I've found the service to be...um...not so much lacking as it is ditzy. Everyone is sweet as pie, but it can be a nightmare getting seated or asking for the check.

Today it was the former. I met my brother around 4:45, and we went in. There was a small line for tables, and we put our name down. A couple came in behind us and put their name down as well, then ran out to check out a store. They came back in, stepped in front of us, and were seated ahead of us. Not usually a problem (and not the couple's fault at all), but my brother was in a time crunch, and I was peeeeved.

We ended up being seated quickly after that, and all was fine.

Jeremy had a sort of banana cream pie type thing (sorry, they don't allow pics, and this one isn't on their site) - it was fabulous. Crisp, super-flaky pastry. Mountains of cream. And bananas galore. It was perfect with his hot chocolate.

I made myself deviate from the usual Mille Crêpes and instead went for the Choux fromage (labeled Gateau au Citron on the website). It was delightful - cheesecake filling (though light as air and lemony) sandwiched between layers of pate à choux.

Our check came uncharacteristically quickly. :smile:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

When we were in NY last week, we went by Lady M. It is really beautiful and I got a couple of good shots through the window (I will never understand the hysterical "no pictures" thing - they put much better and clearer (i.e. - more 'copy-able) pictures on their website than I could ever take), but we just 'window shopped' because we weren't really ready to sit down and have a dessert right then and weren't sure how amenable they would be to 'take out' :biggrin: !

I swear to God, we tiptoed through NY like scared mice - we were overrawed and intimidated by a lot of the places we saw and that is just not us :rolleyes: . I don't know what was up with us.

I am prepping our 'report' and will attach it and photos of our visit to the thread I started requesting info for our trip. Pan suggested that was a good place to report back.

Kim

When we were in NY last week, we went by Lady M.  It is really beautiful and I got a couple of good shots through the window (I will never understand the hysterical "no pictures" thing - they put much better and clearer (i.e. - more 'copy-able) pictures on their website than I could ever take), but we just 'window shopped' because we weren't really ready to sit down and have a dessert right then and weren't sure how amenable they would be to 'take out'  :biggrin: !

For future reference, Kim, they are very amenable to it...you can get slices or whole pastries...they even do two sizes of the Mille Crêpes for your take-away ease.

Though, I hasten to add, I've never taken advantage of that option.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Great post Megan, I saw Lady M on one of Martha Stewarts shows, she was eating lunch there and they showed a demo of the crepes being made with some japanese tool called "aborahiki"

quite interesting.

The cakes looked good.

What were you taking a picture with and at what point did they actively say you could not take pics, just curious ?

Great post Megan, I saw Lady M on one of Martha Stewarts shows, she was eating lunch there and they showed a demo of the crepes being made with some japanese tool called "aborahiki"

quite interesting.

The cakes looked good.

What were you taking a picture with and at what point did they actively say you could not take pics, just curious ?

I actually discovered the rule about photos back when I was doing my first eG foodblog in early 2006 - I wanted to take some pictures of the display, and they told me absolutely no pictures were allowed, which jibed with some of what I'd read about the place.

Since I was with someone else, I probably could have feigned taking a picture of him and snuck a few of the food...hmmm...

Is that tool the one they use for caramelizing the top, or for cooking the crepes? (Folks interested in an in-depth discussion of making a mille crêpes cake should check out this thread.)

Queenie Takes Manhattan