• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pretzel bread in NYC?

theres a bakery called Glendale Bakery on 87th and lex across from an italian restaurant...they have great pretzel rolls.

Don't know of any place in NYC, but Almondine in DUMBO makes some awesome pretzel rolls, and pretzel rolls with cheese.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The pretzel at Almondine is more or less the same at the The French Laundry, except bigger and without the black pepper. Call Almondine and find out when they come out of the oven, they're really good when they are fresh.

Roger

theres a bakery called Glendale Bakery on 87th and lex across from an italian restaurant...they have great pretzel rolls.

Glendale Bake Shop

1290 Lexington Ave

New York, NY 10128

This place is great. A total throwback to the days before Hot & Crusty, before Atkins, before cupcakes, and before the supermarkets started baking their own bread. Remember when there were bakeries and cake shops all over the city? This is just like one of them. And yes, they have pretzel rolls in a couple of shapes: traditional pretzel shape, torpedo, maybe some others.

It's amazing that pretzel rolls aren't more widely available. They're so good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How was it?

It made me smile when I bit into it, it was exactly like eating a moist bread version of a pretzel, as opposed to a big soft pretzel. It had a beautiful bi-colored top. I don't believe I've ever had pretzel bread before. I'm almost certain it was baked by Eli's Bread, I bought a few things, yesterday, and didn't pay close attention.

• 2 weeks later...
How was it?

It made me smile when I bit into it, it was exactly like eating a moist bread version of a pretzel, as opposed to a big soft pretzel. It had a beautiful bi-colored top. I don't believe I've ever had pretzel bread before. I'm almost certain it was baked by Eli's Bread, I bought a few things, yesterday, and didn't pay close attention.

which garden of eden?

Glendale Bake Shop

1290 Lexington Ave

New York, NY 10128

Finally made it by Glendale today. They have three shapes available: a traditional pretzel shape, a stick and a round roll. I chose the round roll because it looked particularly appetizing. I got two of them, and as I walked out of the shop I noticed that the bag was warm. Much to my surprise and delight, the rolls were still warm from the oven. So I ate one. It was fantastic. Due only to my undying loyalty to the eGullet Society, I preserved the second one long enough to photograph it:

gallery_1_295_84967.jpg

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Weighing in on the pretzel bread discussion. The pretzel bread at Almondine, especially the one with cheese is worth a special stop. It comes out later in the morning and is gone very fast. It is amazing. Chewy, dense and pretzel-y.

On Fat Guy's recommendation, I went to Glendale. For my taste, not nearly as good. Not as dense and the pretzel taste was short lasting.

Fresh Direct has something called Beadzel which I have added to my cart. I will report back.

I went by Glendale again yesterday for a comprehensive tasting. I tried the pretzel shape, stick and round roll. My perception of denseness was influenced a lot by the shape: the ones with more surface area appear denser. So, the pretzel shape appears the densest, followed by the stick and then the roll. They are all, however, less dense than, say, a street-vendor pretzel. But they're certainly denser than most white rolls. They have a nice crust, I think, with a good ratio of salt. The sticks actually have poppy seeds in addition to the salt. These are not gourmet items -- they're just honest bread from an old-school bakery -- but to me they're very tasty. I made a really good sandwich on one of the sticks, with a little Muenster cheese, Romaine lettuce and Dijon mustard.

• 4 weeks later...

Schaller and Weber on the UES has them, and they're quite good.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!